Queensland Raceway Trackday - 12/4/04

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I think about it, this is the best deal ever, with a free lunch. Bugger it, tell him we'll take it on Anzac Day too, and labor day and queen's B'day and...... :D

Cal.

40 is including 12 which John has invited. I also asked him what he was taking out....his F3 won't be ready :(

Bad news guys doesnt look like i will be entering the races as for i have had a small accident with the pug and have slightly bent the left rear control arm, its about 1.1cm out of place, and gives teh car really bad vibration at speeds of 140+.

I will still come to the day to meet all that i havent yet jus wont be racing.

Sorry guys

Bad luck man. Definetly come out as there will be heaps to see.

Guys

Make sure you are out there at 11am so we can get licences and groups sorted before the 12pm start. This is really important to ensure we start on time and have as best day as possible.

Cheers
Brad

Brad,

Can you check your PM please; it seems you could be getting more than you think as my eldest son has got his GT-R back on the road & will be at QR for the weekend and is thinking of staying on for the Monday.
I've sent you some details.

Alan S

Is there still room for one more car on Monday? I'm a just-joined frogger in Brisbane and would like to bring my 205 along?

don't get too distressed

guys, i love reading your forum, and don't take this the wrong way, but i can't bite my tongue with some of the things being said.

firstly to the bit about going sideways at 150 being scary...
QR is an international standard track with excellent run-offs. to come to any grief in a road-regitsered car at turn 1 is laughable. secondly, and this adds to the humour, when you are going sideways you slow down very very quickly. anyone who has raced will know this. therefore, if you are sideways still on the track, you will have scrubbed off so much speed by the time you hit the run-off you could be mistaken for a dude on his way to lawn bowls.

and about the tyre discussion, you cannot possibly go past Yokohama A032R's. if they are too soft for everyday, buy a set of rims for track with them on. they alone will be worth 2 seconds a lap easily.

and don't tell me they are too expensive if you are even contemplating coil-overs. a serious racer would only need 195/14's which are relatively cheap. see not everyone needs bling bling. some people would prefer to be quick than race with 17inch chrome bits of cr*p with try hard semi-slicks.

sorry for my rant, just had to get it off my chest.
also, won't it be as busy as hell monday with this stupid powercruise thing? there will be more lowies than inala.

It's all good, everyone has an opinion. "Sideways" does not always mean going down perpendicular to the direction of the road. I think we're talking 10-15 degrees deviation, whilst burying the throttle, does not wash off speed. And if you think backing off/tapping the brake in whatever car (roadgoing or otherwise) is the right thing to do mid corner in that situation well... that's your prerogitive. Dunno about you but I don't want to have gravel rolling around in the chassis for the rest of the car's life.

Fully agree with the racing rims for track use, looking for a set of 15"'s... sticking with semi-slicks though. I'll go full slicks at a later stage when I'm more confident. In regards to Powercruise, it finishes Sunday so it won't clash with the track day.

Rich

sideways

thanks for taking my reply seriously.

as for the sideways bit..
if you are a decent steerer, you will sideways pretty much as soon as you hit the apex, which means you are on the inside of the track. if you get sideaqys near the exit in a FWD, you obviously have no throttle control or are an idiot.
therfore, if you do have the guts to do power oversteer at 150, you are not going to be alarmed too greatly. if you are too afraid of getting into the gravel, then by lifting off you will certainly spin and you will not get anywhere near the dirt.

Nav

Froggies are more than welcome. See you out there at 11am. Please read the rest of this thread for further details on what you need to bring and the cost.

Brad

Had an awesome day out at the track. Big thanks to Brad for organising it and to the QR crew, excellent as always. We all had at least four runs, the eager ones went again for a fifth. Big hello to all the new people I met as well. :D

My fastest lap ended up being a 1:07.7, was aiming for 1:07's seeings as it's a new car and all so I'm happy with that. Happy with the grip and power, suspension's a little loose but it's stock so... Definitely going some semi slicks and track use rims, gonna have to be 16"'s though, pretty sure the brake rotors and calipers won't fit inside a 15" rim. 306 GTi6 have 16"'s, right? If so anyone have a set they want to sell? :p See how that goes and then maybe go coil-overs. Brad and I played swapsies and that just made me want to do the suspension. :headbang:

Rich

Zen said:
Definitely going some semi slicks and track use rims, gonna have to be 16"'s though, pretty sure the brake rotors and calipers won't fit inside a 15" rim. 306 GTi6 have 16"'s, right? If so anyone have a set they want to sell?
307s basically have the same braking setup - 283mm rotors up front and the base rim is 15", so you can take 15s if you want.

The GTi-6 was equipped with 15s too.

Yep, was a top day. I took a heap of pics, but they are on my dad's camera which is heading over to the UK tomorrow. I'll get them emailed shortly.

Best time I pulled was a 1:06.57, over 1/2 second faster than last time.

Zen's 180 was a blast, had stacks more power out of the corners than the S16 :cry:, it had more outright grip, however seemed harder to find as it would start to squirm around when pushed. I think I went a 1:10.

Yeh, great day Brad and thanx for organising it . It was also great to see so many 205's there.
Zen, you are going to cream it when that beautiful car of yours starts to loosen up...1;07 is fantasmagorical for a car with only 2000k's on it.

cheers jr

jr20516v said:
Zen, you are going to cream it when that beautiful car of yours starts to loosen up...

Heh, I'll be happy if I get it down to the times you're doing in your 205. 1:04's is damn fast. :D

Rich

Top day all round!

I was chuffed to get down to 1.05.4 which is 1.6+ sec off my previous times :roflmao: :D . Now for some more brakes and I'll be happier.

I managed to push out 32 flying laps in my 205gti/mi16 and not one problem all day and that was with hitting the limiter on many occasions. All temps were good and I used 1/2 a tank of fuel which included the 100Km round trip to and from the track. :headbang:

I think allot of the people there were surprised at how fast the old French cars were. For instance both the F355 and the Porsche Boxter s were in the 1.06's and the RX8's were slower again.

Go the PUGS! :dance:

Oh yeh thanks Braddles!

Neil

Just goes to show that power isn't everything, even on a power circuit like QR. Imagine how much we could clean up on a more twisting and technical curcuit.

I guess we are not really comparing apples with apples. I was doing 1:08's on my first run. I'd think if these guys who had their first run out there today had a few more sessions their times would drop quite a bit. We keep on finding time somewhere on the track. I'd say I just pushed turns 1 and 2 harder by leaving my balls in the garage. At least twice things got a little sideways at 140km/h through turn 1. I must say though that it let go so gradually I was never in danger of tank slapping it, can't say as much for Gary in Cal's Mx5.

What times was Jeff doing in the boxter?

froggy_drew, just wondering why you were not able to make it out yesterday to show us all how it is done?

Jeff was doing 1.07's in the Porsche.

There is a rather large amount of work to do on the MX5. Apart from there being dust and stones in places I didn't know possible, the stones have scratched the paint in a few places and I am wondering if something might be slightly bent in the front end. Anyway, shit happens and it could just as easily have been me sticking his STi in the sandtrap at T1.

Dad's best time was a 1.06.3 in his car and a 1.08 something in mine. I managed a 1.05.1 in the Rex and a 1.05.3 in the MX5. I was more than happy with that. You could not imagine two more different cars to peddle fast. One has minimal power with loads of corner speed and the other wickedly fast in a straight line, but really lacking in corner speed. The STi is also travelling at an alarming rate of knots by the time you get to the end of the straight.

Awesome day, thanks to Brad and the guys at QR. Everyone had a great day. Some really nice machines out there. Love the 180 Richard.

Cheers,

Cal. :cheers:

How did he manage to bin it? I was up the other end at turn 6 taking snaps and all I saw was a cloud of dust but couldn't make out the car. I thought it was an RX8, again :mallet:

1:05 lows is a huge drop over last time you were out. Do you recon you could get into the 1:03's with the power up'ed to where you want it? There is not much that could stick with it then. Richard's bosses mate in the Mini S Works is in the 1:03's. Some money spend on that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.