Philip Island 6 Hour Regularity, 30-31 July 2022

3E386B3A-EA86-481E-8CE9-389AC4B44784.jpeg

Just whilst we wait, the 172 in the team whom has been sitting in pit lane as they repair a barrier..

Some MG tried to have sex with it, 50m stoppage as they fix it. All drivers ok, that’s “racing”.

That’s Adrian’s old car, still with 150kw, current owner is a member of the NSW Road Race Club. They have travelled up here with a team, all going well for them too it seems.

(Wish I was in the Clio)

Oooooh there was a high 2.07 there somewhere go you shitbox commodore. :p

Looks like you were enjoying yourself too much - 4 laps @ 2:07 !!!

Cheers

Justin

Yes I did!

I’m not sure which sector I did well at, I was held up around the place each lap so I was trying some dumb lines.

We’ll I got good at turn 1 a couple of times, but that meant I plowed into 2 and 3. Similar for turn 9, but now I was to fast approaching 10.

Ah what good fun.

And the silly commodore did alright. I had a bag of fluids at hand but it didn’t need anything. Those dba pads and rotors are good too, this is the second event they have been on the car. I’ll have a look next weekend to see how much is left but they feel good :)

So yeah very happy. Relatively cheap entertainment for the weekend considering.

You should make the effort to come drive this place, fantastic :)

Yes I did!

I’m not sure which sector I did well at, I was held up around the place each lap so I was trying some dumb lines.

We’ll I got good at turn 1 a couple of times, but that meant I plowed into 2 and 3. Similar for turn 9, but now I was to fast approaching 10.

Ah what good fun.

And the silly commodore did alright. I had a bag of fluids at hand but it didn’t need anything. Those dba pads and rotors are good too, this is the second event they have been on the car. I’ll have a look next weekend to see how much is left but they feel good :)

So yeah very happy. Relatively cheap entertainment for the weekend considering.

You should make the effort to come drive this place, fantastic :)
Phillip island is the best track ever,

Compared to a sprint which is $3- 400
Was this more expensive?
Thanks

Costs are pretty similar, and as the vehicle requirements.

Roughly I think it was $2200 per team, and teams can be 3 x cars and 3 x driver, out to he 6 x cars and 6 x driver. Track time is 10-4 Saturday and Sunday. We shared it 6 x ways, so we have 3 x ~20min sessions each day, or 120mins each over the weekend.

Get a team of four and you will have 180mins each on track over the weekend, @~$550ea

As you can imagine there was enough going on, what with wierdo's to talk to, plenty of faffing around that 3 x 20min sessions each day felt like heaps between all that and the sausage roles, coffees, and your team mates changing tyres every 3 mins.

But to be fair we AirBnB'd a place, then pocket money for booze and food. I kept $1000 aside for entry and the weekend, and spent more or less that. But don't think of it like that. Just think Yep! entry is a couple hundred bucks, the rest works itself out :p

Lots of fun cars to share the track with, small sample below.

0B4EF21E-F820-496C-9FA1-10B68AFD2830.jpg
1F43FFED-9AAE-4098-ABD9-48A737DC9455.jpg
3E2FC7C0-5E34-48D5-85E6-7B11FFEB3BEF.jpg
5DE370FC-8BB4-4847-956C-2939FC11D23E.jpg
089FE97B-4B62-423B-B4F1-CAF1F20BD684.jpg
652D16DD-5696-4C04-B5A3-841413E283D7.jpg
0778F9FE-06E2-406F-B8B7-7569F6B4BDE1.jpg
D3D9D28C-208E-41EB-88F2-B352ADDEE1BE.jpg
DD4668A0-B195-416B-8FA7-FEE6A70079B9.jpg
DF472726-B8F8-43BB-BCB6-EFB642014959.jpg

And yes that is a Datsun 120y Coupe!

Turns out they made 300 of them, and they were all destined for South Africa. For what ever reason the boat unloaded it in Melbourne. There were 2 x here this weekend Running 200b engines, box's and diffs with LSD's I didn't recognise.

That Honda missing a wheel arch, had a blow out on track. Tyre tore the arch off, he went and bought some new pants then carried on with the rest of the event.

Most of those cars were at aroca sprint on 3rd July 22. That 120y coupe flys, goes well, he does consistent 2.03 on 3rd July, and in the 505 I did a 2.04, i had a play with him, but my car after 3 laps i need to cool it. yeah I guess it's not bad once a year price wise. If your running r tyres it gets alot more expensive.

How did the re003s hold up?
I brought the Ado8r as wets but I here the re003s are good In the dry ?
Good weather all weekend I'm guessing?

We got a light sprinkle at 4:30p as we all started packing up. But yes no rain, got sun burnt Saturday, froze to death Sunday.

I was happy with them, and yes they are an everyday tyre for me. I couldn't stuff them up under brakes, I ran them at 30psi hot, and they stayed pretty even it seems. When I was booting it out of 10 I could feel the traction slipping gradually which was fantastic, same with ploughing into corners actually, after a few laps I was confident with what they would do if I did X so that was nice.

Prepare yourselves for some on bumper footage out on my first session :p

Had to laugh at the Caterham stopped at the flag point, driver still in it, and the post is waving a green like, f*ck this guy. :p

Very good, my heart went into my mouth when you let everyone threw at lukey Heights, (pepples)
It's so good isn't it, best track ever, go to winton or sandown and it's no where near as nice of a surface.

Stock standard ecotec seemed to do well, didn't come last.
Well you should join some of the Pccv boys at track days?

Yeah I was like, there ain't much room left but you all go nuts. Credit to the B4 to be looking backwards, that Mini could have changed colours.

Absolutely, the surface is great, and the track edges, everything is cambered nicely, the ripple strips are great. It's really good.

Would love too! Hit me up when you all go play and I'll see if I can muster the calendar.

And yep credit to the Ecotec, for what it is, cheap entertainment. I even got to have a few moments of opposite lock after ploughing into a corner, using the brakes the tuck it in then stomping on the Auto box to spin a wheel and bring the nose in even tighter haha.

It's got me thinking actually.. lift of oversteer is fun and all, but stomping on the go button and correcting on the way out is probably more fun..

SLK320 by the look of it. The Crown is actually a Nissan Cefiro - possible it has the RB20DET hence the ease with which he passed you.

I love big weekends like this. Amazing how polite everyone was really - that's the benefit of a regularity event. No one is out to set the fastest lap as there isn't an advantage. Just a shame it's only once a year !

Cheers

Justin

SLK320 by the look of it. The Crown is actually a Nissan Cefiro - possible it has the RB20DET hence the ease with which he passed you.

I love big weekends like this. Amazing how polite everyone was really - that's the benefit of a regularity event. No one is out to set the fastest lap as there isn't an advantage. Just a shame it's only once a year !

Cheers

Justin
Weeeeeel,

There is a similar event at Winton in October I think..

But yes it is a polite little setup with these things. Really good fun, great way to have some fun and play in these tracks without the big $$$$ dudes chasing trophies.

And ah, RB20 turbo would explain his power :)

The one in October is Aroca, you can get regs from Alfa Romeo's owners club vic website, Alfa are great organisers.

I've been in love with this photo of a random 505 since forever.

505.jpg

Nearly replicated it over the weekend at this event :p

yays.jpg

HAHAHAHA :p

Go you nugget. And all you sitting on the sidelines. Go to a race track gord dam it. It's a right freeking laugh it is.

profilesm.jpg

Comes with a 3yr Warranty. Going so fast it's nearly blowing the sponsors stickers away :p

smcrest.jpg

Clearly lost cresting Lukey Heights.. this looks way to wide, but just starting to push the RE003's off the loaded front tyre. Woo Hoo :p

A 1500kg family sedan shouldn't be this much fun.

Good stuff, not much body roll for a stocky.

Because you put the yellow 505 up here's mine at Phillip Island on 3rd July 22,
Quality not great as had to resize to upload on AF.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220803-212747_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-212747_Gallery.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20220803-212816_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-212816_Gallery.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 114