Philip Island 6 Hour Regularity, 30-31 July 2022

Bowie

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
We’ll I had some time to play make a harness bar inline with the upcoming event requirements.

They prohibit 3 point harnesses even with road registered cars so I need to do something. I could nearly just use the rear set belt points, but it’s a little off centre and it may be just outside the 45degree, confess I haven’t measured it with the race seat but gut says it’s no good.

Anyway, why not practise bracket making.

View attachment 205402View attachment 205403View attachment 205404

Here we have some 40mm square tube, 2mm thick, with 5mm thick plates (50 x 100mm) welded on each end along with two triangle brackets, 60 x 40mm, which will be the anchor points for the harness.

I had to buy a new harness, and I stuffed up getting one with shorter then expected rear stays and no quick release. So the triangle extensions should give me the reach, along with adequate space to mount another captive nut and 3mm thick washer underneath. I’m not sure I like this, I may remove it all and attach a longer triangle section but I’ll see after I test fit it.

I’m going to drill 2x holes each side on the inner sides of the wheel arches to accomodate this. I originally thought about re using the rear belt holes on the sides, but it was going to be to far back for my short harness and I can’t easily drill an additional support in that panel, I’d have to make a right angle section and sit it on the wheel arch, attaching it there. This seemed like a simple compromise.

I bought some carpet trim to nearly match the bombadore, I’ll cover the parcel shelf and everything exposed to make it “noice” whilst the bar is installed. Ah once I started removing the rear trim I couldn’t help myself and took it all out. Belts, seats, parcel shelf, these new cars are complicated with all these nice bits and pieces.

Next weekend is the test fit with the racing seat, see how it all feels then.

Just thought I'd pull this out of the NSW thread into it's rightful home, here in the windy city?

Oi YOU!

Tere are still spots left.

Enter!

Sup Regs

With 5 x mates it works out to be $425each for the weekend for 12hrs of track time shared amongst you. So, what, an hour of track time each day, 4 ~15 sessions each day, perhaps 30 laps. That's not to far away from a regular race meeting or track day to be honest, Say you only bring x3 mates, no worries, it's now $637each and you will get 6 ~15min sessions (~45 laps) on track each day.

Not Bad.

Plus! all those session are on the grid with gord knows what! It's a hoot!

And what do you need? Well not much.

- Cams Speed Licence (online $140)
- Extinguisher from super cheap ($80)
- Tow hooks
- 4 x point harness (just reuse the mounting points on your original belts for the front, and the anchor points from the rear) ($150)
- Helmet (Your son got a motorbike, great borrow his)
- Positive attitude :D

See EASY! You just need x3 mates, you have 3 mates right? Course you do :D Come to Philip Island at the end of July :D

Now having said that, it was even easier at NSW with the Road Race Club. One didn't need a 4 point harness or tow hooks. They were all about the road registered cars on track as easily as possible. This promoter has chosen to specify stuff above the permitted requirement, thats ok, no big deal and you'll have more fun in a harness anyway.

Now having said that I've turned this into a big deal. I spend 3 hours this afternoon tearing my garage apart looking for the tow straps from the Reno. Where the hell did I put them. Coming inside for an afternoon tea I remembered, I left them on the car to help get it on the tilt tray.

hook.jpg

There's one! :D

Turns out I have to go to Revolution Racegear to get another harness anyway. I bought one from SAAS, but it's way to short to work In my application, I should have checked the length. Doh!

And I've decided after test fitting everything earlier I don't like this square tube bar I've made.

bar.jpg

I added some extensions to suite the cheaper harness I had, but as it is to short and since I'm shopping, I'm going to end up with a longer harness and at which point, I might as well wrapp it around a tube. So back to the metal shop on Tuesday for a length of round tube in which I'll weld those end plates on too, a bit of rod to keep the harness's from moving left to right and it should look a treat in the Monaro. Yes you see I pretty much have a Monaro now.

monaro.jpg

The mounting plates will slot in through the trim, bar will be exposed, gonna look great! And I promise I'll tidy up those corners around the wheel well and do something to transition the back carpet to the new section. Hmmm.

I even trimmed up the "vote 1 green" sign to cover the opening where the arm rest would allow the skis in.

boot.jpg

So happy with that E-bay grey carpet trim I found. Was really having flash backs of mounting sub woofers and 6x9's in parcel trays :p

Make it look nice and clean and the scrutineers will be much nicer. Well that's the plan anyway.

Anyway fiddly trim bit done, metal, harness and tow strap shop Tuesday, heaps of time left, Huzah!

Come play at Philip Island. :)

Hey Bowie, so you don't need a roll cage/roll bar? I'm interested to know why you wouldn't just use the rear parcel shelf (with reinforcing plates) for seat harness attachment? That square tube location still looks like a high angle when I believe the ideal is horizontal, down to a MAXIMUM of 45°. As you have probably seen many times, usually the tube type mount is incorporated with a roll cage/roll bar where the tube is close behind the seat and at shoulder height.
Just interested.
Cheers.

Was really having flash backs of mounting sub woofers and 6x9's in parcel trays :p
Hi,

Yes also have done that in two prior vehicles, years ago. We used to replace the parcel tray with 5 ply with the 6 x 9 speakers mounted on top. The last one I used Pioner 8" round with forward firing tweeters, it was really good. They used to pump out the sound.

Whats that you say, speak up I can't hear you very well these days.

Cheers.

Hey Bowie, so you don't need a roll cage/roll bar? I'm interested to know why you wouldn't just use the rear parcel shelf (with reinforcing plates) for seat harness attachment? That square tube location still looks like a high angle when I believe the ideal is horizontal, down to a MAXIMUM of 45°. As you have probably seen many times, usually the tube type mount is incorporated with a roll cage/roll bar where the tube is close behind the seat and at shoulder height.
Just interested.
Cheers.

That's correct, no roll cage and no bar required for these "entry level" events. The road car technically doesn't need to be registered either, however being able to wave rego papers in front of the scrutineers tend to make things pretty straight forward.

And yes! the rear parcel shelf is an option, and it's what I did on the Reno. I decided against that position as the commodore has 6x9 speaker cut outs more or less where I'd want to put the anchor bracket. And as such, the mounting plate would end up behind and pretty close to the rear window. This is making the rear straps pretty long.

Making a quick roll bar also serves another function in that I get to practise bracket making :)

You are right the 45 degree angle needs to be maintained, and at that position it will be within specs. Technically, the rear seat belt anchor points are "just" outside the 45 degree limit but others have gotten away with it there it seems. And yes again! It is best practice to have the rear straps as short as possible, hence why a lot of them have a bar running directly behind the seat. This would be best.

I confess I sought inspiration from AGI.

Commodore-VY-Bolt-in-6pt-Entry-level-side-view-in-car-rear-555x416.jpg

That's $800 worth of bolt in 4 point CAMS approved cage for a VY Commodore. If I was really in love with this bommodore I'd probably just get one of these, but then I wouldn't get to practise with the welder.

That seems pretty good value for safety / compliance / having someone else make it. FYI most 4 point cages from them are $800, pretty good value!)

That rear bar should be 1&1/2" seemless tube @ 2mm thick, and they have drilled and welded ~m11 nuts directly to it. As this is my first go, I'm going to be a wus and wrap the belts.

This rear bar sits about ~20cm above where I reckon I'll have mine mounted (between the wheel wells) And I chosen that location as I wont have to bend the tube / flush cut it, just a simple flat surface plate and bolted.

Sorry, very long answer to say, Yes, you could use the parcel shelf but I didn't like it and wanted the practise.

Well don't get Covid everyone, It's dumb!

Day 3, can't smell anything, exhausted, but stuck at home until Friday so why not cross some other things off the list.

These pesky Victorians also want road cars to have recovery points. Not a silly request but just another thing to sort. The Bommodore has a perfect mounting point (once supported) in the front, behind the faux driving light position. The opening of the main rail is accessible, perfect!

bar.jpgboyracer.jpgtag.jpg

The rear was just as thoughtful actually, with the tow bar removed it's mounting points were reused for the strap. And depending on which ditch I end up, the strap can be used without pulling the entire bar off, perfect!

Now it looks like every other drifto-P-platter with discrete recovery tags flopping about. Perhaps next a straight pipe from the headers to complete the transformation.

Also, I have a confession. I like the look at these things.

profile.jpg

As far as mass produced sedans go.. actually perhaps the COVID side affects are more reaching then I first imagined..

Finally, I managed to pick up some suitable round tube before my symptoms where shown, hope I feel up to finishing it in the next couple of days. Then it will be ready! Huzah!

P.S Don't get COVID

Ah well it's nearly time to spin around Philip Island (very excited) and with a day away from work, a chance to finish that harness bar.

TA DAAAA

works.jpg

It fits! And more amazingly, I remembered to check the orientation of the brackets before I welded them :p

bar.jpg

Level! :p

The welds are not going to make me famous,

one side.jpg
other side.jpg

But from the brief reading I have done, seeing heat penetration on the backside of the material leads me to believe penetration should be ok. And heck, gota start somewhere.

heated.jpg

Now just to drill out the top of the arches, bolt, bolt, bolt, nearly ready. Actually, will need an alignment just to confirm, and I might even have them dump the auto and diff oil just because, it's due.

HUZAH!

Also how great are welders.

"The welds are not going to make me famous,"

They will make you famous if they let go in a big crash at a fast track like Phillip Island !

Although I have quite a few years more welding experience, I would spend a few bucks to have a professional weld such a crucial fabrication.:2cents:

Not a component you use to learn welding Bowie! Start practicing by fabricating a welding trolley.

Well there is that to be fair…

The manager of the team I’m involved with “Grumpy Racing” is a fabricator and makes certified Cams cages. He’s gonna check my work and give me a hand on the weekend before I get to excited :)

Well there is that to be fair…

The manager of the team I’m involved with “Grumpy Racing” is a fabricator and makes certified Cams cages. He’s gonna check my work and give me a hand on the weekend before I get to excited :)
If you have access to such a person just tack the fabrication together and take it to them to weld up properly.

I did this with a whole roll cage, did all the bending, cutting, scalloping of joints, tacked it together and then got a mate to weld it together.

Well the fabricator man was happy with in, time to bolt it in.

And from the outside, It doesn't even look that anti-social. Win.

IMG_1131.jpg

Well back from the wheel alignment place, She hand't moved to much from the laps at SMSP, nor the 1000km's drive home or the weeks battling Melbourne traffic and storm water drains. Good job Nolathane plastique's

Now back with 2 degree neg everywhere and 10 degree of caster. Not even looking forward to the laps at Philip Island. No, no, not at all.

Final test fit of eveyrthing and glad I did. Bought myself a new helmet and it hits the grab handle up the front, that's annoying, I'll pull it out before I go and my life will be much happier. And as this event required the use of a harness, shinny new 3" thingy with the all important expiry tag and it's pretty nice. I won't tell you I gave up and read the instructions in regards to wrapping it around the bar, oh that made me confused for a moment it did. And with everything in place it all looks very smart.

wah2.jpeg

That strap angle. Fussing with the bar was worth it.

wha.jpeg

wah3.jpeg

Will it be faster then a Kia minivan? Time will tell.

Now to go refresh the weather page another million times :p

Well well Well.

Philip island is a pretty I remembered it :D sun was seating on the way in, water was lit up red, beautiful.

Weather man still being friendly very much looking forward to it.

Turns out there is a Clio 172 in our team! That beautifully orange red colour, will be chewing his ear off tomorrow.

Also spotted a couple of 206’s. Yaaay more friends :p

Also how good are sedans.

92C81F72-B632-4F62-9B0E-DB53644BF3C1.jpeg

43B2B82B-FB07-4466-BE62-4E6239A7A859.jpeg

I have more clothes then tools this time (winter) and with everything neatly in the boot, the racing seat across the back, nearly civilised commuting.

Also also,
2BD3DEC2-9824-4DF8-8FBC-CDDE82C3C276.jpeg

How much fluids will I lose over the weekend? Place bets now :p

Speaking with some of the others that have driven this place there appears to be a couple of similarities to SMSP. It seems turn 1 can be had at similar speeds, turn 2 takes forever, turn 4 is not dissimilar to the hairpin, and there is something about a goat shed, a blind left hander over a crest before a sharp right hander. I like the sounds of that!

Ah fingers crossed nothing breaks.

According to recent Natsoft timing Bowie, did 8 laps in P2 with his fastest on lap 4, 2:09.2606. Not bad for the first 4 laps.

Regards the similarity with Eastern Creek, if you flip the circuit diagram over, SMSP does resemble parts of PI.

Oh I’m eager to head out again.

And not wrong re the right front, it was 9psi above the left hand side.

This track is great, so many long long corners where you need to be patient, enough elevation to be interesting.

Breaking into turn 4 is great. There is so much run off it encourages to you be brave lol.

There is so much to learn here, I’ve been given 26 different lines for each corner here, I’ll keep trying and se which I like the best.

Current fav is the left hand blind climb via 9 into the hard right at 10. We’ve been watching folks get unsettled and end up with the geese all day. It’s great feeling everything get light before you wait for it to settle before you slam in the brakes.

And the end of last session we set hot tyres to 30psi (Just Re03’s) three cars in my team before I get another go.

But what a circuit, absolutely beautiful, so we maintained, smooth, the layout is great. Oh keen as!

There’s a few froggies here, couple of 206’s from SA. One of there Coolant bottles overflowed and nuked the ecu! They are swapping them between cars now.

No meganes I can see, and only the one Clio I’ve spotted. What’s going on victorian froggies? Suppose I can’t talk…

Anyway, see you all later.

Come drive Philip island, 5 stars.

Reactions: COL
hehe - It just occured to me that I'm reading this while wearing my '1992 Superprix Phillip Island' Sweatshirt. Doug Polen on his 888, and Kevin Magee on his FZR750 on the front of the sweatshirt - ok the photo is actually from 1991 but the effect is there.

Great track. I've never done it in a car - only on bikes several times - love to try it in a car some day.

Cheers

Justin

Gah! Had 4 laps then my session ended!

They are breaking the day into smaller chunks and bringing the field in each time. It’s wasting so much track time.

That’s probably me now done for today, still don’t know what I’m doing at 5,6 not really at 9. I took a narrow line and only got of the gas as it started to drift wide, that felt fast, but I can’t remember what happened on the rest of the lap :p

I have to nominate a time now, think I’ll stick to a 209 just to be safe.

Such a good track :)

I was thinking the last time I was here, drunk with my brother watching the superbikes. We ended up down in the beach in the afternoon, fun times :p

hehe - It just occured to me that I'm reading this while wearing my '1992 Superprix Phillip Island' Sweatshirt. Doug Polen on his 888, and Kevin Magee on his FZR750 on the front of the sweatshirt - ok the photo is actually from 1991 but the effect is there.

Great track. I've never done it in a car - only on bikes several times - love to try it in a car some day.

Cheers

Justin
Shiiiit, that’s a cool shirt you got there.

Man I’d love to swap this VY for a bike. These long sweeping corners, awesome.

I have so many great shots of Troy Corser coming out of Siberia (6) on one wheel.

Good luck today !

Cheers

Justin

According to recent Natsoft timing Bowie, did 8 laps in P2 with his fastest on lap 4, 2:09.2606. Not bad for the first 4 laps.

Regards the similarity with Eastern Creek, if you flip the circuit diagram over, SMSP does resemble parts of PI.
not that we're stalking or anything.....in P6 he did 5laps - again fastest on lap 4 with a 2:08.1981

2:09 is looking like a good bet

Cheers

Justin

Welcome race fans!

Bloody cold and windy morning here, but no rain so happy.

Had my first session out covered with the safety car. Some caterham binned it at 9 and a mg stopped at 5. However!

It allowed me some slow laps to work on my lines :)

Another two session today, I’m nominated a 2.08. I’ve learnt heaps from yesterday so I’m feeling good.

Although everything is colder today, my hot tyres were still sitting at 30psi so I’m happy, looking forward to my next goes! :p

Coke “racing” Everyone :)