Peugeot 406 Monaco owners.

Fearless Leader

Tadpole
Tadpole
Are there any Monaco owners in Melbourne. I am doing minor restoration work on mine and it would be handy to "eyeball" another car. Please note there are a few differences from the "normal" V6 manual.

Forgive my ignorance, but how is a Monaco different to another 406?

They made 25 of them for OZ. They are basically a V6 petrol with manual box and a few mods in the suspension. They use a different exhaust system too.

Also 16" wheels I think. I met a guy in Canberra who has one - I bought a 307 from him, but he wasn't selling the 'Monaco'.

Suspension is a bit lower than standard - probably has Eibach springs?

Some info here:

Aussiefrogs link

Press article (via Wayback machine).

I'm not sure if they had 16" Ouragan wheels or "fancy" Zender Monza rims. I think they might have had the Zender rims.

51070_3mg.jpg

Last edited:
The late 406 diesels also have 16 inch rims of a slightly different design. They came with the "genuine artificial replica woodgrain ash tray" what a plus.

Also 16" wheels I think. I met a guy in Canberra who has one - I bought a 307 from him, but he wasn't selling the 'Monaco'.

Suspension is a bit lower than standard - probably has Eibach springs?
Lower in the front, skirt scrapes easily. Higher in the rear. The damping is firmer than the "standard" 406.

Not every Aussie Frogger is constantly on the lookout for posts they can respond to - after all some of them/us have to work! I would give it a few days at the very least.

Meanwhile, you could keep the thread active (and more likely to be spotted by an occasional browser) by a more detailed explanation of the differences between the Monaco and my standard D9 SV. Before and after photos, and descriptions of the work you have done/will do are always interesting as well. Don't post it all at once - just one new post a day for as long as you can keep it up should act as 'bait' to draw out any leads ;), and also keep the rest of us entertained!

The late 406 diesels also have 16 inch rims of a slightly different design. They came with the "genuine artificial replica woodgrain ash tray" what a plus.
Late (2003) 406 diesel here.

I don’t know how to tell what the design name is of these 16” rims. I can’t see any name.
IMG_2448.jpeg

And the sparkling genuine imitation wood grain ashtray.

Please don’t forget the rest of the centre console under the radio storage space is lined with the same high quality genuine imitation wood grain! I’ve tried to capture a small section of that in my photo. Because you wouldn’t want any more than that.

Cheers,
Andrew

IMG_2447.jpeg

What about the stylish grey dash and chrome embellishments around the instrument dials. Oh! Of course the chrome tip on the exhaust. Things that are must on any motor vehicle.

Yes, those are also on my HDi.

But the chrome exhaust tip is so dirty that it isn’t recognisable as chrome!

The joys of country living and road works that are seemingly endless. But their ability to handle the conditions with ease is just one of the reasons why I love these cars.

My diesel 406 is/was the most reliable car I have ever owned. It did 520Kkms and was only retired because it was uneconomical to fix the computer problems (please anyone reading this don't send advice on computer repair). I could not get a replacement after searching diligently for months so I put a towbar on my Monaco and it is now the "daily drive". The V6 has the same size tank as the diesel (75 litres) and returns 850-900 KMs per tank around the city which isn't to bad. The diesel was 1200 KMs per tank to around town and over 1400 on interstate travel.
Hard not to love.

Morning Fearless Leader, so your 406 I guess had a HDi engine. I have an early 406 with the V6 that has done 630K kms and could be back on the road by replacing the centre bearing on the driver's side and a new auto g'box oil seal. With the complexity of the more modern electronics I'm leaning toward reviving a 406 diesel by replacing the Lucas with a Bosch pump.

I need to find out what happened to the early D9 406 that was living around the corner from me in Junee. The owner previously told me that it had the V6 engine in it, but I don’t know anything else about the car.

The owner died earlier this year and the family has since sold his Nissan Urvan camper van which was on club plates. But the fate of the 406 is a mystery to me.

I wasn’t even aware of the Monaco upgrade until I read about it here last week, so I certainly wasn’t looking for it when I spoke to the owner about his 406 a couple of years ago.

His widow isn’t the sort of person who I feel comfortable with going to the front door of and asking about her late husband’s car. I’ll have to keep looking for her when she might be out in the front yard or in the shops. The beauty of small town living!

Monaco, Fearless Leader, see your messages via the envelope icon at top right. I have created a workaround for you to exchange contact details if you wish. Otherwise, you won't be able to do so because new members cannot use the forum's messaging feature.