Peugeot 406 Monaco owners.

Monaco, Fearless Leader, see your messages via the envelope icon at top right. I have created a workaround for you to exchange contact details if you wish. Otherwise, you won't be able to do so because new members cannot use the forum's messaging feature.
Thanks David S.

I owned one. Lower by 25 mm or more. Very fast car. Mine had cream leather int and beautiful mettalic red duco. I think it had a boot spoiler too. Very fast and very economical. 7.8 l / 100 highway not going slow. Excellent machine but too low for where I live. I do not recall the exhaust being different. Gearbox was std h pattern, brothers coupe got the different box. It was quicker off the mark.

Yes front skirt way to low. Mine is silver with black interior. I agree really good fuel economy for the performance they are capable of. They have that (imho) ridiculous spoiler on the rear but a useful sun roof.

So, for those of us who aren't familiar with Monacos, look for the genuine imitation wood on the centre console, chrome instrument surrounds and a V6 engine. 16" wheels too.

The chrome surrounds are on the late diesel 406 with gray dash. They also have 16 inch wheels but of a diffent style.

The easiest way to identify a Monaco is the word "Monaco" on either side of the vehicle. They appear to have different leather seats to the "standard" V6 manual.

My memory could be playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall seeing a 406 at a wreckers that had the imitation wood panelling on centre console, as per the photo.

Your right the Monaco and the late diesel have the same genuine artificial replica woodgrain centre console which of course includes the ash tray.

Your right the Monaco and the late diesel have the same genuine artificial replica woodgrain centre console which of course includes the ash tray.
The genuine real artificial plastic termite resistant wood was readily available as a spare part. I 'updated' my 2000 HDi update model with it when new just to give the console a bit of a lift above the dark grey plastic. That 406 was Jade green with a beige cloth interior instead of the bog standard and boring grey cloth that was the only offering here at the time. The beige was an option in France, so I ordered it that way at no extra cost or time delay. It looked magnificent, far better than the grey. When a mutual friend of the dealer and me saw it, he went straight in and ordered the same combo. It's still in his family 23 1/2 years later!

One of my Hdi 406s has a leather interior. The original purchaser might have optioned it. It also didn't have any rear speakers. Strange.

One of my Hdi 406s has a leather interior. The original purchaser might have optioned it. It also didn't have any rear speakers. Strange.
Leather was an option in the 406s. No rear speakers is odd. Were you expecting them in the rear shelf? IIRC they might have been in the lower front section of the rear doors. I don't remember if mine had them in the rear shelf, but I reckon I would have remembered if it had no rear speakers at all.
Robin

I have never seen a leather optioned Hdi before, or after. The seats are completely mechanical, no electric motors and are not like the seats in the Monaco. As for no rear speakers in the parcel shelf, I don't know.

I have never seen a leather optioned Hdi before, or after. The seats are completely mechanical, no electric motors and are not like the seats in the Monaco. As for no rear speakers in the parcel shelf, I don't know.
Maybe the seats were leathered locally. That was not an uncommon occurrence for customers of the Toowoomba dealer when I bought my cars.
Robin

I was gifted a D9 HDi 406 that had a dead AL4 gearbox. That 406 had a leather interior, which must have been a local option, as the servicebox printout shows that grey fabric upholstery.

My very early D9 HDi 406 has black leather seats.

The build plate is March 1999 and the compliance plate is August 1999.

Over the years that I've owned the car, many (Peugeot) people have told me that my car shouldn't exist. A 406 built that early in 1999 should not have a common rail diesel, they tell me. Neither should it have leather seats, even if it does exist! I seem to remember that there have been other elements of the car that are 'wrong', but I can't recall them now.

I was gifted a D9 HDi 406 that had a dead AL4 gearbox. That 406 had a leather interior, which must have been a local option, as the servicebox printout shows that grey fabric upholstery.
A few questions from that post, Peter. Most importantly, where do you find people who want to [italic]give[/italic] you a 406? And how do you get that servicebox printout, please?

Maybe the seats were leathered locally. That was not an uncommon occurrence for customers of the Toowoomba dealer when I bought my cars.
Robin
Hayden at PugWreck in Bayswater in Melbourne's east mentioned that possibility to me just before Christmas last year. However, as far as I can tell, this car was a Victorian country car. I have been told that the large round electrical plug for a trailer that was on this car was peculiar to Victoria. It was one of the distinguishing features.

My late Hdi has always been a Victorian car. The leather seats are factory and the door cards match and are not like the cloth seated car's door cards.

My very early D9 HDi 406 has black leather seats.

The build plate is March 1999 and the compliance plate is August 1999.

Over the years that I've owned the car, many (Peugeot) people have told me that my car shouldn't exist. A 406 built that early in 1999 should not have a common rail diesel, they tell me. Neither should it have leather seats, even if it does exist! I seem to remember that there have been other elements of the car that are 'wrong', but I can't recall them now.

A few questions from that post, Peter. Most importantly, where do you find people who want to [italic]give[/italic] you a 406? And how do you get that servicebox printout, please?

Hayden at PugWreck in Bayswater in Melbourne's east mentioned that possibility to me just before Christmas last year. However, as far as I can tell, this car was a Victorian country car. I have been told that the large round electrical plug for a trailer that was on this car was peculiar to Victoria. It was one of the distinguishing features.

The 406 was gifted by a close friend, who had it given to him, and who already had/has a number of cars plus, he doesn't have a 406. Keep in mind that a 406 with a dead AL4 is not desirable or worth much.

I probably downloaded the Servicebox data at a time when we had free access. Times, I think, have changed.

As I probably mentioned before, according to the Servicebox info, this car does not have a leather interior. Therefore, it must have been supplied as a local option. The door trim panels plus the seats are leather, and you wouldn't know they are not original unless yuo accessed Servicebox.