Original profile tyres for 504? Availability?

Front shock tower spring base will limit tyre height. I run 195R14 on 505 series 1 alloy wheels and there is only a 10mm gap here. In the rear, be careful with taller springs. The driveshaft boots do not like being stretched and tear easily when drive shaft angle is changed much passed what is standard.
Thanks for letting me know about the driveshaft boots, I didn't know that. What was the stock tire size for your Peugeot 505? I would like to get 195R14 but from what is have heard it is recommended. If I change the tires to 195/80 R14 (195R14) would that have a negative effect on the drive shaft angle?

Thanks for letting me know about the driveshaft boots, I didn't know that. What was the stock tire size for your Peugeot 505? I would like to get 195R14 but from what is have heard it is recommended. If I change the tires to 195/80 R14 (195R14) would that have a negative effect on the drive shaft angle?
Changing the tyre size will have zero effect on driveshaft angles. Changing the suspension height will. However it sounds like you're trying to restore the rear suspension height back to somewhere near standard anyway, rather than increase it from standard???

When I was running taller rear springs, on full droop the drive shaft would hit the trailing arm. Some slight manicuring with the angle grinder helped, but in the end replacing drive shaft boots with my eyes closed was not a talent I really needed. Back to standard height, but stiffer spring. Maybe I should put my tool box on a diet.
"Tool box on a diet" lol. I don't want to run into those kind of problems so it's better to keep the standard height of the coil springs on the car.

Changing the tyre size will have zero effect on driveshaft angles. Changing the suspension height will. However it sounds like you're trying to restore the rear suspension height back to somewhere near standard anyway, rather than increase it from standard???
A combination of both if possible to go taller and wider with the tires (without changing rims/wheels) and use coil spring spacers to lift the car, if it's not going to have negative effects on the car's suspension system.

A combination of both if possible to go taller and wider with the tires (without changing rims/wheels) and use coil spring spacers to lift the car, if it's not going to have negative effects on the car's suspension system.
I would think there would be a "normal operating range" in the suspension, that wouldn't have any real effect on driveshaft longevity etc.
One would think a couple of inches either side of the factory ride height would be no issue?
I'm not sure why fitting taller springs is causing some owners driveshaft interference. The standard suspension, with standard wheels and tyres, should be able to travel through its entire operating range without mechanical interference, regardless of the make and model of car.
All cars are the same they either have upper and lower bump stops, check straps or (particularly in the instance of full drop in rear suspension), the shock absorbers themselves are the limiting factor once they reach full extension.
If the taller springs are fitted in combination with longer travel shocks then that certainly opens up the possibility of components exceeding the range of the factory's design parameters, with resultant mechanical interference.

I would think there would be a "normal operating range" in the suspension, that wouldn't have any real effect on driveshaft longevity etc.
One would think a couple of inches either side of the factory ride height would be no issue?
I'm not sure why fitting taller springs is causing some owners driveshaft interference. The standard suspension, with standard wheels and tyres, should be able to travel through its entire operating range without mechanical interference, regardless of the make and model of car.
All cars are the same they either have upper and lower bump stops, check straps or (particularly in the instance of full drop in rear suspension), the shock absorbers themselves are the limiting factor once they reach full extension.
If the taller springs are fitted in combination with longer travel shocks then that certainly opens up the possibility of components exceeding the range of the factory's design parameters, with resultant mechanical interference.
Yes 1 or 2 inches lift should be okay I think so too but from what i've read, coilovers are safer than spacers but they are expensive.

Yes 1 or 2 inches lift should be okay I think so too but from what i've read, coilovers are safer than spacers but they are expensive.
Does anyone do air adjustable shocks to suit the 504?
If not it may be possible to adapt a set out of something else.
The 504 is pin at the top and eye at the bottom?

Does anyone do air adjustable shocks to suit the 504?
If not it may be possible to adapt a set out of something else.
The 504 is pin at the top and eye at the bottom?
I haven't seen a set of what we called pump up shocks for years, do they still make these? They were once all the rage (in the 70's and 80's) for people that towed heavy trailers and caravans to try and level out the combination.

The other thing I have not seen either for years is booster spring sets that used what looks like muffler clamps that go around the shocks.

I haven't seen a set of what we called pump up shocks for years, do they still make these? They were once all the rage (in the 70's and 80's) for people that towed heavy trailers and caravans to try and level out the combination.

The other thing I have not seen either for years is booster spring sets that used what looks like muffler clamps that go around the shocks.
To answer my own question, looks like they do.

I haven't seen a set of what we called pump up shocks for years, do they still make these? They were once all the rage for people that towed heavy trailers and caravans to try and level out the combination.

Yes Monroe still make air shocks, their MA (Max Air) series. I reckon an MA756 would work on a 504 with a bit of fettling on the bottom eye mount. Extended and compressed lengths are pretty close and the top mount is a stud.
Yes I used to run those booster springs back in the day as I towed a lot of large caravans.
Haven't seen them for years, but here's a reminder.

images (27).jpeg

Reactions: COL
Yes Monroe still make air shocks, their MA (Max Air) series. I reckon an MA756 would work on a 504 with a bit of fettling on the bottom eye mount. Extended and compressed lengths are pretty close and the top mount is a stud.
Yes I used to run those booster springs back in the day as I towed a lot of large caravans.
Haven't seen them for years, but here's a reminder.

View attachment 238641
I also found a set for sale on Ebay after a bit of searching.

I also found a set for sale on Ebay after a bit of searching.

Oh cool. They used to work well. I used to just increase the preload for towing and then loosen the clamps and let some tension off for running around empty.
They certainly added some height to a car without a load on it.
Remember back in the day the Monroe air shocks came in 90 psi and 150 psi variants?
The Max Air series are all 150 psi.
A few mates and I used to drag caravans up and down the East Coast back in the '80s. Back when you would tow a 30' raised roof Viscount with an old Valiant or some such.🤫
The 2 door Valiant hardtop I used last, had those booster coils, a set of clamp on booster leaf springs and 4 bar level riders to stop the fuel tank dragging on the bitumen.
Those were the days.🤩

Last edited:
Oh and with the old Valiant, if the van you were towing was exceptionally heavy on the draw bar (because of a front kitchen usually) and the car's nose was in the air, I would jump underneath with a 3/4" socket and wind the front torsion bars down until it sat pretty level.
Problem solved.🤷‍♂️

You'll find 185/75 R14 more available, which is a slight compromise on width. I had those at one stage before I changed to a 14" 505 alloy rim (wider) and fitted 195/70 R14. Both choices are probably the best way forward for a stock 504.

I like the idea of those Monroe Airmax shocks. The model MA756 has a compressed length of 260mm and an extended length of 416mm. with the bottom mount bush having an internal diameter of 11mm and width of 48mm. Will measure this tonight and see how close it is to the standard 504 rear shock lengths/bush size.

Last edited:
I like the idea of those Monroe Airmax shocks. The model MA756 has a compressed length of 260mm and an extended length of 416mm. Will measure this tonight and see how close it is to the standard 504 rear shock lengths.
You will have to put up with Monroe rear shocks then. Nothing works in a 504 or 504 except original Peugeot items, even 40 year old 505 GTi rears are better than anything you can buy, my 505 is vastly better after replacing the Bilsteins with these. Everything is way too soft , as if they forgot about the 2 to 1 ratio on the trailing arms. Dedicated competition shocks would be the only exception.

Oh cool. They used to work well. I used to just increase the preload for towing and then loosen the clamps and let some tension off for running around empty.
They certainly added some height to a car without a load on it.
Remember back in the day the Monroe air shocks came in 90 psi and 150 psi variants?
The Max Air series are all 150 psi.
A few mates and I used to drag caravans up and down the East Coast back in the '80s. Back when you would tow a 30' raised roof Viscount with an old Valiant or some such.🤫
The 2 door Valiant hardtop I used last, had those booster coils, a set of clamp on booster leaf springs and 4 bar level riders to stop the fuel tank dragging on the bitumen.
Those were the days.🤩
I had a set on the back of my Renault R12 sedan, like you said it raised the rear end a little, but stiffened up the rear end nicely.

I like the idea of those Monroe Airmax shocks. The model MA756 has a compressed length of 260mm and an extended length of 416mm. with the bottom mount bush having an internal diameter of 11mm and width of 48mm. Will measure this tonight and see how close it is to the standard 504 rear shock lengths/bush size.
Not sure on the lower bolt diameter, but I'm pretty sure a couple of small bushes would be needed either side of the ferrule sleeve to center the shock and enable the bolt to clamp it in place.
With these shocks being for a Mustang 2, the 11mm bolt would actually be a 7/16".
I'm guessing the Peugeot is either 10mm or 12mm in this department? Nothing that can't be overcome with a little adaptation
Monroe list the replacement standard 504 shock at 274 mm compressed and 421mm extended.
Not too far apart from the air shocks really.
The shock should never see full compression unless the bump stops are RS, and the few mm difference in extension is here nor there.

You'll find 185/75 R14 more available, which is a slight compromise on width. I had those at one stage before I changed to a 14" 505 alloy rim (wider) and fitted 195/70 R14. Both choices are probably the best way forward for a stock 504.
Hi thanks for your suggestions those sizes are the recommended sizes so I'm thinking about using the same sizes 185/80 R14 (since I found bridgestone 185R14C) @ least for the front and maybe 195/75 (or 80 but that might cause too much difference in diameter) R14 if I can find. Rim is 5J×14.