Original profile tyres for 504? Availability?

Years ago I put a set of 195 70 14's on my 504.GREAT.Purchased with 137 k on clock..in 12monthhs..parted company at 1.1230000 k..

So, has anyone had experience with the Michelin Energy XM2 in a 195/70 R14 on a 504?

Before the demise of my 504 I had fitted Kumho 185.70x 14. I found them to be quiet running tyre with a great improvement on steering effort over the previous Michelin. At $111 per corner I was pleased. Of course Michies or Pirelli would have been nice but deterioration of the sidewalls an on- going problem. I'm a believer in if the tyres are round, rubber and black that suits me !

So, has anyone had experience with the Michelin Energy XM2 in a 195/70 R14 on a 504?

I have Michelin Energy XM2 in a 185/70 R14 on my Ti. (5" rims with tubes fitted.) No complaints yet, been on about 3 months and only covered about 300km. Don't know why people would fit 195/70! Too wide for 5" rims. I replaced 175/65 Michelin MXV, they lowered the gearing too far and are not needed for towing any more.

I decided the XM2 Energy were the best tyres around. However must agree with Wildebeest:- "round, rubber and black suits me" :wink2:

I used Michelin Agilis light truck tyres in 185 by 14 on my 403, which was used for a few outback trips. They gave the old style experience which Barry is after and are regular tyres so not expensive. However, they were poor in sand until they were let down to around 10 psi as Andy said. Possibly due to the stiffer sidewalls. In regard to previous comments I do think that 195 70 is the optimum size to give a good ride, Nexens may not have great wet road grip but feel great to drive on my 504 and give a very good smooth ride without any vibration. 175 70 is way too small, looks ridiculous and probably too low a load rating.
Hi Graham, At the time I first bought the Bridgestones, I was also looking at the Agilis. I am a huge fan of Michi's and run them on my Cruiser,750/16 and truck 10.00/20. What put me off, was they were made in China, where as the 623 Bridgestones were made in Australia. The latest batch, I note, is made in Thailand.
Out of curiosity, I just googled, review Bridgestone 623. They give them a 5 star rating, top of the light truck range. they also give them very good wet capabilities. I can certainly vouch for there off rd performance. As well as sand, the great central, Tanimi, and CSR has a lot of sharp rocks. Some of the 4x4s I was travelling with had tyre issues!

Before the demise of my 504 I had fitted Kumho 185.70x 14. I found them to be quiet running tyre with a great improvement on steering effort over the previous Michelin. At $111 per corner I was pleased. Of course Michies or Pirelli would have been nice but deterioration of the sidewalls an on- going problem. I'm a believer in if the tyres are round, rubber and black that suits me !

There are goodish tyres in 185/70 (the afore-mentioned XM2+, ES01 & T/A Drive & also the Bridgestone Ecopia EP150) but unless the size attracts for some reason, I can't see a tyre-based case for changing the gearing.

The major case for fussing beyond a "round & black" (any old tyre is fine) attitude in the emergency brake &/or swerve in the wet.

Last edited:
I have 195 65 15 XM2 on my 404, no criticism at all although the car doesn't go out in the rain so I don't know about wet weather behaviour.

I

<snip>

175 70 is way too small, looks ridiculous and probably too low a load rating.

The load rating is fine for a loaded 504. The aesthetic consideration of "looks ridiculous" is in my view, trumped by the size giving access to a tyre which is superior to what's available in other candidate sizes. YMMV

But, as noted earlier, I suspect that the best compromise for the original brief is the 185/75 K715.

The load rating is fine for a loaded 504. The aesthetic consideration of "looks ridiculous" is in my view, trumped by the size giving access to a tyre which is superior to what's available in other candidate sizes. YMMV

But, as noted earlier, I suspect that the best compromise for the original brief is the 185/75 K715.

Yes, 185 75 is the correct substitute. 195 70 needs at least a 5.5 inch rim.

They bulge, I'd rather go for 185 875 if I needed to use the standard rims.

If attracted to a larger size by the availability of a particularly good tyre, then one can tauten handling crispness by pressure increase without much loss of ride comfort. Mind you, that motivation doesn't apply here given the 195/70 menu (as observed in an earlier post).

The only tyre which would motivate eccentric choice is the smaller 175/70 PC2 & that would be ideal on a 5" rim. For my priorities, it's the obvious choice but . . .

For the original poster's priorities, I think 185/75 K715 is optimal. He might offer us a reason why not, if not.

I have 185 14 Michelin Agilis commercials on a 505 GTi wagon and they work well. The 185 14 does fit the 504 - I've used Bridgestones in the past. My 504 currently has 15 inch 505 alloy wheels off an Executive.

The test is not how they perform in non-stressful circumstances but what their behaviour is in an emergency swerve &/or stop. The earlier listed (post 35) tyre test is not encouraging.

bridgestone alternative

I have been running 195/14 Light truck tyres on 505, and 504 sedans and wagons, for many years. I have had tremendious sucsess with Bridgestone R623 tyres. They are 8 ply, slightly reduced pressures, help and doesn't seem to compromise ride quality or handling.
A few years Back I Did The Canning stock route in a std 505 Sedan, and used these tyres. Pressures were dropped to 10 psi for the Dunes. No punctures for the whole journey, and the tyres are still on a car and holding air today.
I have a similar CSR trip planned in April North bound this time in a 504 Sedan.I have just bought 6x Bridgestone R623 for the journey.
Hi, when you say 195/14, do you mean 195R14 (equivalent to 195/80 R14)? I am asking this question because i'm interested in getting 195R14 or 205/75 R14 for Peugeot 504 saloon GR innorder to get more ground clearance. I want to know if it's safe to do so. Let me know. Thank you!

Hi, when you say 195/14, do you mean 195R14 (equivalent to 195/80 R14)? I am asking this question because i'm interested in getting 195R14 or 205/75 R14 for Peugeot 504 saloon GR innorder to get more ground clearance. I want to know if it's safe to do so. Let me know. Thank you!
Gearing will be very tall and the speedo will read low.