My 504 Daily Driver Project

Good, steady progress lately. Engine bay wiring loom is about halfway done. Radiator is fitted. It's time to start getting some electrical juice into this thing and see what starts firing up.

So it's time to fit a battery. Obviously it's not going to fit anywhere under the engine bay (and I wouldn't want any more weight that far forward anyway), so another location needed to be selected.

It seems all the rage these days to put the battery in the boot. But I've never been a fan of this. To me, that is putting the weight too high, and behind the rear axle. Not to mention the loss of boot space!

504s have two large voids under the rear seats. On one side I will be fitting the fuel pumps, but on the other side I had no plans. Bingo, let's whack a battery there.

I took some measurements and went wandering around SuperCheapAuto with a tape measure. I selected an NS60LS battery. It's a narrow battery, 130mm wide, and about 220mm high including the posts. It's good for 430 CCA, which should be enough to kick the V6 over.

I've actually been putting this job off for weeks, trying to find the courage to cut a significant hole in the back of the 504!! But today, with the Ekka public holiday, I decided it was time.

So - measure twice and cut once!! Actually, I measured about 30 times, not wanting to stuff this up. The gap underneath the car between the driver's side rear passenger footwell and the rear suspension crossmember is a shade under 150mm, so the battery needs to poke through that space. After a couple of deep breaths, I cut the hole:
WP_20150812_002.jpg

I cut the hole to fit a box that would also be big enough to both support the battery and accommodate a remote-control circuit breaker. So my hole extends back past the rear suspension crossmember, and the battery box I will fabricate will have a stepped design to suit.
WP_20150812_003.jpg

And here is the box. You can see the extra space on the rear for the RCCB:
WP_20150812_004.jpg

Fits like a glove:
WP_20150812_006.jpg

And battery in place. With the seat re-fitted, you certainly can't feel that there's a battery under there. But I will make a cover for it at some point regardless:
WP_20150812_008.jpg

A view under the car. Although it might look like it protrudes a fair bit, the base of the battery box is actually 5mm higher than the bottom of the crossmember or the footwell.
WP_20150812_010.jpg

I have run a bead of sealant around all the seams on the box, and I have left it to set overnight. Tomorrow I will paint the box, then on Friday I will do the final fitting and sealing of the battery box. I am going to use a series to large rivets to secure it.

One more thing done!

Some progress pics from today.....

Radiator, shroud and cooling fan fitted. Coolant hoses fitted. Engine loom nearly finished.

Next step will be to start the forward cabin loom (dashboard, driver's controls, etc).

WP_20150816_011.jpgWP_20150816_012.jpgWP_20150816_013.jpg

The benefit of free time, well done indeed.

Be seeing you!

Final 504 update for the year!

Not a great deal to report, but I thought I would muck about with something simple and visual on the weekend, and here is the result:

WP_20151223_002.jpg
There's still some cleaning up to do to it, I haven't removed the clear protective layer from the chrome yet, but that can wait until after it is installed in the car.

And for comparison, a picture from earlier in this thread showing what it looked like before:
9211d1288667063-my-504-daily-driver-project-img_9226.jpg

And now looking at them alongside each other, I realise that I mocked it up with the clock on the wrong side. Oh well, you get the idea.

So what did you actually do with the chrome? Is it a self-adhesive strip?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

So what did you actually do with the chrome? Is it a self-adhesive strip?

Oh, right, good point! Yes, it is adhesive tape. The original plastic was entirely chrome plated, then the grey was painted over it. However, not having the facilities handy to electroplate the plastic, I opted for the reverse - I stripped them back to bare plastic, then applied chrome tape as required. I then painted the grey over the top, and once dry, scraped the grey off from over the chrome.

Incidentally, I matched the paint to the aluminium-y colour that I have used throughout the engine bay and underbody, and soon to also include the wheels. I like the idea of a theme through the whole car.

Oh and John, did you get my PM a week or two back?

I did Scott. Thanks for reminding me I need to pick up my rubber moulding!

Not much progress lately, I've been spending my weekends building a shelter to house my 404 ute project which will arrive soon.

Yesterday I did get a little bit of time to poke around with some stuff though.

Firewall sound/heat proofed:
WP_20160123_001.jpg

Hopefully I can get a bit done this afternoon, and on the Australia Day holiday!

You've purchased a lot of new parts online Scott, have you bought a new PEUGEOT badge for the bootlid? I need a good one for my white car but I wonder if a new one will be any better than an old one. They seem to be rough castings with flaky chrome.

You've purchased a lot of new parts online Scott, have you bought a new PEUGEOT badge for the bootlid? I need a good one for my white car but I wonder if a new one will be any better than an old one. They seem to be rough castings with flaky chrome.

Not something I've bought yet, no. I did buy a new '504' badge for the front, still sealed in the original bag, and it wasn't really all that flash either.

Also, there were a couple of different Peugeot badges from the late 60s/early 70s. 504 ones were different to 404 ones. And then there's auto ones.....

Ahh, the joy of visual progress.... and the disappointment of finding out that the dash top I've got is for a late model 504, not an early model. To quote the Toyota ads - Bugger!

WP_20160126_002.jpg

So, if anyone has a good dash pad to suit an early 504, I'd love to talk... I have a perfect late model dash pad to swap.

Might be the same case with me. I have a good dash top ready for my 74... I didn't know there was any difference. What year did they change?

I have had lots of 504s and didn't realise there was a difference either. How are they different?

Early ones had a taller, and closer to vertical drop from the top surface to the front surface to the chamfer at the bottom of the front face:
7184640536_64bfeac48a_b[1].jpg

Later ones had a more angular, bevelled front:
WP_20160126_007.jpg

Also, the clips that hold it to the top of the dashboard frame are in a slightly different spot at the ends. The holes are there, but are used for different things on the early models.

The late model dash pad with the early model front panels leaves an unsightly gap. I really don't want to have to change over to the late model decorative panels - I think it was a step backwards style-wise.

Might be the same case with me. I have a good dash top ready for my 74... I didn't know there was any difference. What year did they change?

The change I presume was at the same time as the change from the early to late style decorative panels across the front of the dash. I think roughly that this coincided with the change from push-button to lift-up door handles.

Well, I'll be. I'd never noticed that before. I'm pretty sure they went to lift up door handles in 1975. The later dash panels came in either '75, '76, or '77.

Ahh, the joy of visual progress.... and the disappointment of finding out that the dash top I've got is for a late model 504, not an early model. To quote the Toyota ads - Bugger!

View attachment 79915

So, if anyone has a good dash pad to suit an early 504, I'd love to talk... I have a perfect late model dash pad to swap.

PM sent

504 project

Early ones had a taller, and closer to vertical drop from the top surface to the front surface to the chamfer at the bottom of the front face:
View attachment 79920

Later ones had a more angular, bevelled front:
View attachment 79921

Also, the clips that hold it to the top of the dashboard frame are in a slightly different spot at the ends. The holes are there, but are used for different things on the early models.

The late model dash pad with the early model front panels leaves an unsightly gap. I really don't want to have to change over to the late model decorative panels - I think it was a step backwards style-wise.

dear Scotty

Obviously best/ cheapest to find good used one

if you have good dead body the Dashboard Doctor in Stdney rd Coburg can re-cover

They are not especially cheap ( (400-600) but have done good job on my 404 pad and also a whole 240z dash ( quite complex)

best wishes.

Andrew