My 504 Daily Driver Project

Scotty,

The engine you have just fitted to your 504 is similar to what I have in my old 505. I am interested to know what carburettor you have fitted the electric choke to.
I first used a 38DGAS but the automatic choke was kaput. Now have a 38 DGMS which is manual choke. Can I fit a Falcon electric choke to it?

Norm

G'day Norm,

The carb I have on this motor is a 38DGAR:
WP_20160619_003.jpg

The electric choke I pinched from what I believe is a Cortina carby, also fitted to a PRV that ran quite well:
WP_20160619_004.jpg

As far as I know, the third letter of the DGV series relates to the choke style: A is coolant, E is electric and M is manual. I don't know if the main body of the carb was different for the auto and manual choke arrangements. It took just minutes to remove the coolant actuator and replace it with the electric actuator.

Ridiculous amounts of rain today - the 180mm gauge has just overflowed and there's no sign of it letting up. As a result, not that much got done this afternoon.

I started making up a bracket to hold the ignition module and relays for this motor:
WP_20160619_005.jpg

I also refitted the radiator and dummied up the throttle cable bracket. But it's too wet now, so I've come inside to browse ebay!

Scotty,

Thanks for the info.
Rain is just beginning to get serious here. Hope we don't have a repeat of the weather a fortnight ago when our gauge overflowed at 300 mm.
Norm.

Only spent an hour or so working on the car today. But it's running again!

Tip for young players.... if you have the wires around the wrong way from the distributor to the ignition module, it doesn't pick up both the pulses and only runs on three cylinders. You can guess how I found that out.

Finished wiring in the relays for the headlights and horn - all working now. Made a bracket for the relays, on the original mounting point on the LH wing. Made a bracket and spindle for the throttle on the carb.

I then spent some time sandblasting wheels. I'm going to do one and see how it turns out, then decide if the process works well enough to do the rest of the wheels.

Then, for no real reason, I thought I'd check clearances if I were to fit the turbo to the 3 litre with my 'customised' inlet manifold. I reckon it looks cool :)
WP_20160731_002.jpgWP_20160731_003.jpgWP_20160731_004.jpgWP_20160731_006.jpg

A busy day today!

I finished prepping and painting the sandblasted test wheel. Results are pretty good - original on the left, refreshed on the right:
WP_20160821_006.jpg

I then finished the wiring, brackets, etc on top of the engine....
WP_20160821_002.jpgWP_20160821_004.jpg

...and then fitted the air filter, fired it up and adjusted the cooling fan cut in and out.
WP_20160821_009.jpgWP_20160821_010.jpg

Afterwards I wired up the stereo, and cut the kick panels out of some 4mm craftwood. Now I need to find some 4" speakers for it - there's no way I can fit 6" while keeping them completely invisible.

if you do this to the shaft, how will you be able to remove the triad in the future, and insert it back again?
63160d1416647129-my-504-daily-driver-project-wp_20141122_023.jpg

if you do this to the shaft, how will you be able to remove the triad in the future, and insert it back again?
View attachment 88975

The same way I did this time - I pressed it past the peening. They are peened from factory. If you look closely at the splines to the right of the ones I did this time, you can see evidence of the previous peening.

Hurry back, you are needed, nice work! How about some 5 1/4"?

Hurry back, you are needed, nice work! How about some 5 1/4"?

No hope. There is only 5mm clearance for the 4", so anything bigger than that wont fit. I think I'll make some boxes under the front seats with small subs to give it some kick.

The same way I did this time - I pressed it past the peening. They are peened from factory. If you look closely at the splines to the right of the ones I did this time, you can see evidence of the previous peening.

so every time you work on the cv joint you actually ruin a part of the shaft, until one day it can't be used anymore?

With due respect 2pac does it really matter? :)

Particularly posted in this thread which is intended to document Scotty's 504 build.

You will notice that the section which is peened is not bearing against the inner spline. And the inner spline is only slightly damaged when sliding it off.

Plus, you should only have to do this once in the lifetime of a driveshaft.

Last edited:
With due respect 2pac does it really matter? :)

Particularly posted in this thread which is intended to document Scotty's 504 build.

I don't mind, happy to see any 504 related chat here :)

I agree though, I have seen driveshafts do 500k+ km without maintenance, so it would take a lot of work to get to a point where a driveshaft had been peened all the way around. Even then, I am pretty confident you could still burr it enough to stop it sliding off.

So, it's been a while. Lots to report, but sadly not as much as I would like!

With most of my time and energy recently devoted to moving home interstate, it has been difficult to get much done on the 504.

However, there has been progress.

The 504 is now to a point where I have test driven it. Brakes completely overhauled, new braided stainless steel flex hoses and all new rigid lines also.

17884061_10154374606906120_6423718132502317444_n.jpg

I sandblasted a set of 15" 505 GTi rims, repaired the minor gutter rash and repainted them in a pearlescent silver. I had the wheel nuts replated, and fitted a set of new centre caps. I shod them with Bridgestone Potenza RE003, which were on special - buy three get one free. They are 195/60R15.

Not sure whether this will work, but let's try it. A video of the car moving under it's own power, proof that it does run!
https://www.facebook.com/kathryn.ham/videos/10154374606851120/

But it's not been all smooth sailing. On it's first drive up the driveway, it went bang, and the gearbox spat some components out the back. This of course was followed by a gearbox full of oil. It seems that I now have a 10-cent piece sized hole in the back of the gearbox. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but it seems that the 5th/reverse selector/synchro assembly has failed, and part if it has gotten caught in the 5th gear and had nowhere to go but out the side of the gearbox. Really not what I needed! I think I have the parts still here to fix it, but I won't know for sure until I get the gearbox out.

Hopefully some good news to follow soon!

Not much to report yet. I've been busy moving from Brisbane to Melbourne, and it has taken up 110% of my time.

However, tomorrow I am flying back to Brisbane to collect the 504. It will be in the shed here by Saturday. Then I can get started on finishing it!

Thanks for your concern though!

Get started on finishing... nice!

But in my experience, they are never finished! Always a few more jobs to do.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The 504 is now safely at my new house in Melbourne. Here's a gratuitous picture of it on the way.
WP_20170728_08_59_23_Pro.jpg

The trip wasn't completely uneventful, a tyre on the trailer disintegrated and damaged the trailer itself. Luckily we were able to get it fixed quickly and cheaply at Coonabarabran before continuing driving into the night and arriving at it's new home in the wee hours!
WP_20170728_16_33_05_Pro.jpg