Modest upgrades to an R10

No apology needed, this is what I asked for when I started this thread ‘modest upgrades to a R10’. I hadn’t considered supercharging so I am glad you jumped in, really interesting reading and I would be keen to try it. Seem to remember supercharging was popular as a after market on earlier Renaults ,4cv and Dauphine ?
You mentioned draw through set ups are easier to manage than push through. How would you set this up on a downdraft like the Weber 32 dir without having it coming up through the engine lid. Supercharger between inlet manifold and head? Or is it easier just to use an Su?
Supercharged.jpg

[/URL]

I need to post this or I'll be temped! Someone buy this so I don't have too :p

I've got enough money in the play fund to get my shielding gas sorted so I can start gluing metal together, this is just unfortunate timing for me.

Do It Fireblade, I'll get the next one :D
This is available on eBay as well ( described as genuine aisin Japanese made re manufactured , posts from China) . Photos look the same, possibly where it came from. More expensive on eBay. They also sell the amr 300 for smaller applications 0.5 to 1 litre

JohnW, thanks, but where are the pictures of what lies beneath the cover ?
There's a video on YouTube of what looks like the same car. Just type in Renault 4CV Judson.
There's engine shots towards the end.

JohnW, thanks, but where are the pictures of what lies beneath the cover ?
You'll see the oiler over the back of the supercharger at 2:43. Vane superchargers Judson's, Norman's etc need a continuous consumable oil supply to lubricate the sliding vanes.
Interestingly if you can find an original oiler you'll pay more just for that piece than you'll pay for an AMR supercharger.🤷‍♂️

did anyone else notice the white lines painted on the reflector on the Judson badge ,could explain why the owner was a bit difficult ,the engine cover isn't closed completely maybe to accommodate the carb ,this was a common mod on fiats of that period to increase air flow

Yes I was hoping it was a stylised blower diagram. .. .

did anyone else notice the white lines painted on the reflector on the Judson badge ,could explain why the owner was a bit difficult ,the engine cover isn't closed completely maybe to accommodate the carb ,this was a common mod on fiats of that period to increase air flow
That's the standard four badge lines representing the four vanes. The unfortunate placement of the screw certainly makes it look like something less desirable.

Ha! ah yeah I'd nearly forgotten.

Ah go on, you no doubt have a great story to tell.

I've attached photos of my injection plenum(?)/throttle set up. To my naive eye it would seem to lend itself well to forced induction, notwithstanding it would be a blow through set up. And for the record, no R17 Gordini's have been harmed in the making of these photos!

IMG_1896.jpg
IMG_1895.jpg

Good size plenum, check. Evenly placed inlet paths, check. Throttle body central, i mean sure. Throttle body with a position sensor attached, check.

Yep. You are well on your way to injected forced injection goodness.

Hi :)
Hi plenty of simple suggestions. Here are mine. They ride a lot better with a bit of weight in the front. That stops the front suspension from topping out on our poor roads, say two bags of cement or equivalent.

Jaahn
In summary get a R12 easy

I've attached photos of my injection plenum(?)/throttle set up. To my naive eye it would seem to lend itself well to forced induction, notwithstanding it would be a blow through set up. And for the record, no R17 Gordini's have been harmed in the making of these photos!

View attachment 137218View attachment 137219
I will eventually be fitting the same injection manifold to my 16TS powered 4CV. I have mounted a later type potentiometer to the throttle shaft rather than the switch type currently fitted.

I also have turned the butterfly part of the plenum 90 degrees toward the front of the car to give clearance to the rear bonnet, and am also having to use 45 degree silicone tube connectors where straight ones were used originally to give some clearance as well. I was surprised the original injectors were the same as a Commodore VL Turbo, so have fitted a new set. Some day I will get back to sorting my 4CV.

View attachment 137218View attachment 137219
As I previously said, I don't know much about boosting EFI. I had a quick Google and the R17 is D-jetronic? The bit I read on a turbo forum indicated this system primarily relies on the manifold's vacuum signal for load reference to control the injector cycles. Obviously under boost there is no manifold vacuum. It seems D-jetronic is more difficult to blow through (not impossible though) that the later Bosch EFI systems.

Have you got the other manifold half that bolts to the head and the rubber couplers?

The plenum you have is "similar" to the VK Holden EFI Black 6, (the Holden one curled up over the rocker cover). The Holden plenum used to be a pretty popular choice in boosted applications even if was only to deliver the air/fuel mix from a remotely located, carby fed supercharger.

Another option (if you don't like carbys) could be mount one of the self tuning 2 barrel EFI kits on the supercharger and blow through your EFI plenum. A Holley Sniper 2bbl kit supports up to 350hp and FITech do a 400hp 2bbl kit. FITech is a bit cheaper than Holley. If you shop around you can pick up a Holley Sniper 2bbl Master Kit for about $1500.
That comes with everything to fit and tune the system. There are only 4 wires (external to the EFI system's harness) to connect to the vehicle, hook up the supplied fuel pump, fit the supplied, clamp-on O2 sensor, and you're off and running.

I've never used one myself, but I've got mates who have fitted the 4bbl Sniper EFI kits to their big dollar build, old school V8s, and they absolutely rave about easy they are to fit, how easy they start, how well they perform (under all conditions) and how much better the economy is compared to a large 4bbl performance carby.

I will eventually be fitting the same injection manifold to my 16TS powered 4CV. I have mounted a later type potentiometer to the throttle shaft rather than the switch type currently fitted.

I also have turned the butterfly part of the plenum 90 degrees toward the front of the car to give clearance to the rear bonnet, and am also having to use 45 degree silicone tube connectors where straight ones were used originally to give some clearance as well. I was surprised the original injectors were the same as a Commodore VL Turbo, so have fitted a new set. Some day I will get back to sorting my 4CV.
Adjust priorities & it'll happen sooner :))

"Some day" is a worry Alan. Hard to assign priorities sometimes of course..... :)

Great to know the injectors are readily available/replaceable. Have not checked the condition of mine.

As I previously said, I don't know much about boosting EFI. I had a quick Google and the R17 is D-jetronic? The bit I read on a turbo forum indicated this system primarily relies on the manifold's vacuum signal for load reference to control the injector cycles. Obviously under boost there is no manifold vacuum. It seems D-jetronic is more difficult to blow through (not impossible though) that the later Bosch EFI systems.

Have you got the other manifold half that bolts to the head and the rubber couplers?

The plenum you have is "similar" to the VK Holden EFI Black 6, (the Holden one curled up over the rocker cover). The Holden plenum used to be a pretty popular choice in boosted applications even if was only to deliver the air/fuel mix from a remotely located, carby fed supercharger.

Another option (if you don't like carbys) could be mount one of the self tuning 2 barrel EFI kits on the supercharger and blow through your EFI plenum. A Holley Sniper 2bbl kit supports up to 350hp and FITech do a 400hp 2bbl kit. FITech is a bit cheaper than Holley. If you shop around you can pick up a Holley Sniper 2bbl Master Kit for about $1500.
That comes with everything to fit and tune the system. There are only 4 wires (external to the EFI system's harness) to connect to the vehicle, hook up the supplied fuel pump, fit the supplied, clamp-on O2 sensor, and you're off and running.

I've never used one myself, but I've got mates who have fitted the 4bbl Sniper EFI kits to their big dollar build, old school V8s, and they absolutely rave about easy they are to fit, how easy they start, how well they perform (under all conditions) and how much better the economy is compared to a large 4bbl performance carby.
This seems a long way from a simple upgrade to a $350 blower! The fact it was a D-jetronic is neither hear nor there - I would be expecting to upgrade sensors and ecu to modern standards. I do have the other manifolds and rubber couplers. I have a couple of R15/17 engines to choose from which have a spare pulley on the front - so I was thinking I could just bolt on the blower and run some pipe from the air cleaner to the blower-in, and some more pipe from the blower-out to that big round opening on my throttle assembly!

Reactions: COL
This seems a long way from a simple upgrade to a $350 blower!
I take it you mean the cost of the Holley Sniper system? I only mentioned it as I know from other's peoples experiences that a "cheap" FI system often ends up not so cheap by the time they finish buying the upgraded bits and pieces and get it tuned.

I guess I shouldn't assume, you may well have the skills and/or contacts to set the OE FI up at a reasonable cost.

Me I'd use a $50 carby from a swap meet as I have close to zero FI knowledge.😉

Yes the plan to connect the air filter/blower/ manifold is spot on.

Try not to use that plastic corrugated tubing anywhere, it disrupts air flow unless it is way bigger than the diameter you actually need.