Miami blue Summer Project Face-Lift

pug-life

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Miami blue 205 Summer Face-Lift Project

Hi all.

At the start of this year I bought myself a 1992 miami blue 205 GTi series 3. I wasn't looking for it but the opportunity arose and I couldn't help myself but add yet another to the collection. After all it was my favourite 205 colour. Its done 189k with all its history. I intend to keep in completely standard, but will consider a few tasteful additions (exhaust, stereo).

The car its self is in 90% order and id be more than happy to drive it as it is....but there are a few niggly things that need attention to have her looking like the next show car/keeper. Paint is the best I've seen on a 205, though the front grill is the only part that seems sun effected.

She starts and runs beautifully and has surprisingly a lot more power than any s1/2 I've driven (may have taken it for a burn up the road once or twice). Original stereo, parcel shelf. Grey Carpet, official Peugeot floor mats.

The things that will be needing attention are as follows. The photos I took yesterday will give a rough indication of a few things I've started.

1. It has a dent and scratch down the drivers side rear from a concrete pillar. But a friend who owns a very reputable panel shop said its nothing and its very easy to fix and you'd never know it existed. Also it had a "Peugeot" rubber rear spoiler that just had to go! but took of some paint and clear. Easy fix.
  2. Going to replace sway bar bushes and engine mounts.
  3. Catalytic seems fine, but a split at the exit of the middle muffler will need attention. I wanted to keep the exhaust standard, but im partial to a bit of a note and a good stainless exhaust tip (Any suggestions as to a good set up keeping with the same CAT ??
  4. Ive successfully removed all the trim and have given it a clean. I was just going to coat it with Meguiars trim detailer, but toyed with the idea of black plasticare which I have here.
  5. Refurbish the wheels...Only so they look brand new. Exterior is good, but can't get the insides clean enough. (picky...maybe, but id like it looking shmicko)
  6. Unfortunately it has a sunroof, I think it was an optional extra. But could be aftermarket. Cant be sure. A plastic rail that pulls it tight has broken. needs fixing.
  7. The seats need re-stiching and new gear knob. Im lead to believe there is a good fellow in Ashwood who ill call Monday for the seats.
  8. Would mind using Green stuff or red stuff pads to reduce brake dust build up and a COMPLETE clean of the engine bay.

Thats about it. Photos below are of the progress (or lack of) so far and of my other run abouts. Should cover all angels and aspects Ive touched on.

Cheers

Julian

2012-04-20 16.32.49.jpgIMG_0624.jpgIMG_0623.jpgIMG_0621.jpg2012-04-20 16.33.25.jpgIMG_0619.jpgIMG_0618.jpgIMG_0616.jpgIMG_0615.jpgIMG_0614.jpgIMG_0613.jpgIMG_0612.jpgIMG_0611.jpgIMG_1711.jpgIMG_3517.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_1712.jpg
    IMG_1712.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Nice little Pug Julian! The 205 Gti would have to be my favorite Pug. The wheels just make the car and the chuckability would never cease to entertain. Love the blue as well and it looks close to the colour of my big Citroen. Did you see the wheeler dealers episode where they did one up? I have to drive one some day. Happy tinkering!

Nice little Pug Julian! The 205 Gti would have to be my favorite Pug. The wheels just make the car and the chuckability would never cease to entertain. Love the blue as well and it looks close to the colour of my big Citroen. Did you see the wheeler dealers episode where they did one up? I have to drive one some day. Happy tinkering!

Andy, yes I certainly have watched that episode...on repeat many a time! :D
I would much love to stretch her legs once its all sorted and up for the challenge.
Hopefully the end result of this thread may persuade you to eventually get your hands around one.

Thanks for the comment Andy :)

Julian

Nice work.....

Blue and White have always been my favs. However, I do own a Silver one and that has grown on me hugely. You gotta love the Series 205s. So much smoother to drive, BE3 gearbox with reverse in the right spot and disk brakes all round. Sunroofs are frowned have a bit of a negative view around here. I love them. If its a road car I reckon they are great. A fun car, solid roof all the way (this is why I now have 2 205GTIs).

Either ways, us Vic 205 owners have a bit of a rep for doing more work on our 205s than driving them. Not all Vic owners, but some of us (very much including me). Get it on the road man. As soon as I have a 205GTI thats ready for the road I'll be putting some serious cruising kms on it.

Chris

Never ever seen a Miami in the flesh. What a magic colour. :cool:

Can't give much advice apart from saying if you're going to fit a different rear exhaust section make sure it has lots of sound deadening qualities as straight through type mufflers will drone and drive you bonkers.

I highly recommend the Plasticare for the original satin look but make sure you use a good prep cleaner and brush to rid every last bit of old product before you apply otherwise it won't sink in properly and you might as well just use detailer. Two or three coats will keep the colour solid for ages and you can still go over the Plasticare with a quick wipe of detailer if you want the gloss look.

Regarding the stereo, if you're not after high end stuff and just want a cheap, decent quality headunit, check out the JVC KD-R536. I put one in mine because it has multi colour illumination and one of the 30 choices is an exact match for the 205's orange dash lights. It has plenty of features like remote, aux inputs etc and sounds good to me.

Yeah I'm really impressed with how the Silver 205's look! Made me look at the one on carsales at the moment...
But yeah as project 205's go for VIC drivers...theres enough of them huh. haha
I think thats what the downfall was for the 205 meet back in august :(
one day...

Thanks Chris

Yeah i have a plasticare bottle, I gave a it a little go....but found it left streaks through it. I da know, maybe it just needed more coats.
I definitely dont want the drone of an exhaust. You can buy the standard back and middle muffler through EAI...but do you think they'd be the exact same? Maybe ill just do that...
JVC, ill look into that! new JB store up the road from me now.
Thanks mate.
Julian

I definitely dont want the drone of an exhaust. Julian

My little beast pumps out a fair note which could be called a drone.
I'm partly deaf so it doesn't worry me.
Strangely enough I find myself sitting on 95kph on highway as it sounds just right at the 3200 rpm or so it is doing at that speed in fifth.
With the 205 Si automatics I have to keep checking my speed. No exhaust note for a guide and the speed will sneak up if not watched.

Paul.

Yeah i have a plasticare bottle, I gave a it a little go....but found it left streaks through it. I da know, maybe it just needed more coats.

Yep, had the same issue until I scrubbed the plastic with Prepwash. :tongue: I'll admit it was a PITA to do, pretty much put a full day into cleaning and applying. The bumpers were almost white-ish before I applied the Plasticare but then it sunk in great, nice deep colour. That was before winter and the car's always parked outdoors yet it's still looking pretty good.

My little beast pumps out a fair note which could be called a drone.
I'm partly deaf so it doesn't worry me.

:D

My neighbours probably wish they were half deaf when I start it at 5am every morning. Sounds great around town or thrashing through the hills but at a constant 100-120km/h mine boooooms like mad. JUN.BL muffler.

Hi all.

Its been a while since touched on this thread, but exams are over and there has been some successful progress.

In the last couple of weeks (on & off) I've been sourcing parts and fixing a few things here and there.

Initially I thought that the final drive had s*#t itself, because there was a horrible grinding sound when ever you'd drive it. It was only ever speed related. I pulled the diff, but couldn't find anything astray in comparison to the 2nd diff I had ready to go in.

The dizzy cap contacts & button were looking a little worn, so off with the old and on with a new ones.

So far I've changed:
  • Both d/s engine mount and gearbox mount
  • d/s engine mount buffers
  • Both diff seals
  • Front wheel bearings
  • Dizzy cap and button
  • New NGK spark plug leads
  • Replaced all the lume tubing
  • Had injectors tested and serviced

When I was draining the water, the drain plug came away so I had that soldered back on.

All in all I needed to know there was nothing majorly wrong with the drivetrain. But also gave the whole engine bay a solid clean!

Got a call from Peugeot this morning to say that all my new red bumper stripping and gearknob has arrived.

So far so good!

***Sorry aussiefrogs if I crash the network with all the photo uploads! :D

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0986.jpg
    IMG_0986.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0808.jpg
    IMG_0808.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 377
Looking good. Keep an eye out for leaks or cracks in the inlet manifold. I've seen a plastic one with a leak before.... But looking good !!! Would love to see it at the get together in January.

Chris

Looks good! Out of curiosity, how much were the bumper strip and the gear knob? Is the gear knob the correct BE3 version with the red lettering? There's been some discussion on here about those no longer being available...

Looks good! Out of curiosity, how much were the bumper strip and the gear knob? Is the gear knob the correct BE3 version with the red lettering? There's been some discussion on here about those no longer being available...

WELL....they said I could get the gear knob and said all my parts had arrived. I went there after work to collect them but it wasnt until then that they said that they couldnt get the gearknob or RHF door mould red stripping. I got all the other stripping.

Forgot to order the front and rear bumper stripping...but he said they can order it. (fingers crossed)

So no gear knob!!! :mad:

The part numbers for the red stripping are:
LHF guard: 786164
RHF guard: 786255
RHR 1/4: 856386
LHR 1/4: 856479
LHF door mould: 935063
Front bumper: 745184
Rear bumper: 745185

All up about $150

Last edited:
Looking good. Keep an eye out for leaks or cracks in the inlet manifold. I've seen a plastic one with a leak before.... But looking good !!! Would love to see it at the get together in January.

Chris

Yeah as far as I can tell it doesnt leak. Idles bang on. The only thing with the plastic is when i took the fuel rail off, the bolts slipped inside the thread. So the seized threads were tougher than the plastic holding the thread in. Had to chop the heads off the 10mm bolts holding the fuel rail to the manifold. Worked out ok.

When and where is the meet in Jan Chris?

Nice work, engine bay looks fantastic. Pretty envious of your new red trims too! I've seen the RH door ones come up on UK ebay before for not much money but doubt the boxes they come in would survive the trip without being horribly bent. The best thing would be to ask the seller to put one in a custom PVC tube like pro movie poster sellers do.

Pretty sure the 205GTI Club de France has quality reproductions of the original gear knobs available. From memory they're about 55 Euro each.

Chris

and the exhaust manifold. Mine cracked underneath on the gearbox side. The crack was visible, but was not leaking.

Looks good.

eye spied a mechanics seat cover! that engine bay looks mighty tidy too

haha nah the seat cover was from when I first got the car. Got it transported by CEVA so they put a seat cover on it. But yes its coming along slowly :)

and the exhaust manifold. Mine cracked underneath on the gearbox side. The crack was visible, but was not leaking.

Have had this problem in the past with exhaust manifolds. This one is A OK, no signs or cracking. Nothing that a bit a of weld job wont fix.

Looks good.

Just rang the Adelaide dealer about the front and rear red bumper trims. No stock in Australia and NLA from the factory they reckon. :(

With regards to exhaust manifolds, you can change over to a 306 item. Apparently they are less prone to cracking