Longstroke ds/id census

9/570732 20201759 4/10/1957 Engine survives in the remains of an early ID. Presume the car is long gone.

Last edited:
I have a disc of photos of my French ID coming across Asia and into Australia. The photos of the Heidelberg Factory Assembly Line look like they were taken without a Flash. When I printed them out, I put more light into them and they've come out quite well.
My wife tells me that I can send this disc of photos to an email address. Are you capable, Leconte or Donat to receive this if you send me an email address. Michael

I have a disc of photos of my French ID coming across Asia and into Australia. The photos of the Heidelberg Factory Assembly Line look like they were taken without a Flash. When I printed them out, I put more light into them and they've come out quite well.
My wife tells me that I can send this disc of photos to an email address. Are you capable, Leconte or Donat to receive this if you send me an email address. Michael

Michael, my email is donat77 at hotmail.com - naturally replace the at with a @ symbol

I've had a few ID's grace my garage over the years including lecontes.. here's some of the my documentation
This one a 1962? heidleberg ID19 sold to Gippsland..was owned by artistic director of company Dogs in Space East St kilda
If there is room I'd suggest keeping details of previous owners on the census..all part of the cars history and possibly a source of further information

1960 ID19 heidleberg 001.jpg1960 ID19 heidleberg 002.jpg1960 ID19 heidleberg 003.jpg1960 ID19 heidleberg 005.jpg1960 ID19 heidleberg 007.jpg1960 ID19 heidleberg 011.jpg

Last edited:
My French built 66 ID that I drove to Citin 2002 and then around Tasmania with the Ducks in the Wilderness tour

66ID19 001.jpg66ID19 002.jpg66ID19 003.jpg

Last edited:
my current 66 ID21 french,5 stud wheels,LHM,early front
ordered from Australia via Normans of Westminister...delivery taken at Citroen,France
This car has the most complete documented hsitory of any D I have ever seen including all letters to the factory etc..the original build date etc...note.. there is no series number

DSC04605.jpgDSC04607.jpgDSC04650.jpgDSC04655.jpg

Last edited:
1961 ID19 Heidleberg... came from North of Melb (shepparton) sold to my mate yrs ago..then sold...pretty sure this car came up recently for sale after being painted/restored?? will try to find the body data

1960 id dash.JPG1960 ID19.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Donat,
I see in the original list you produced back in 2011 listed a 1960 Heidelberg built car.
Also the photographs of car the Dogboy put on "aussiefrogs" this morning is listed as a 1960 model (series no.6184).
This is not possible as the agreement between Citroen and Continental & General was not signed until June 1961 with assembly commencing some 2 months later with the first cars reaching the showrooms in October 1961.
In November 1961 C&G were approached by "AUSTRALIAN MOTOR SPORTS" to supply a locally built car for a road test but were told that there were no cars available that had done sufficient enough miles to allow such a test to be carried out.
As a result "AMS" carried out a test on a Paris built example.

Viva le "PARISENNE"

Brian W

Hi Donat,
I see in the original list you produced back in 2011 listed a 1960 Heidelberg built car.
Also the photographs of car the Dogboy put on "aussiefrogs" this morning is listed as a 1960 model (series no.6184).
This is not possible as the agreement between Citroen and Continental & General was not signed until June 1961 with assembly commencing some 2 months later with the first cars reaching the showrooms in October 1961.
In November 1961 C&G were approached by "AUSTRALIAN MOTOR SPORTS" to supply a locally built car for a road test but were told that there were no cars available that had done sufficient enough miles to allow such a test to be carried out.

Viva le "PARISENNE"

Brian W
Hi Brian
So possibly a 61 or 62 model.. it sure was early
Hope these photos have been of use...I have a lot more photos going back to the 80's but not in digital form
cheers

my current 66 ID21 french,5 stud wheels,LHM,early front
ordered from Australia via Normans of Westminister...delivery taken at Citroen,France
This car has the most complete documented hsitory of any D I have ever seen including all letters to the factory etc..the original build date etc...note.. there is no series number

Blimey Andrew, a lot have passed through your hands over the years! For some reason I cannot see the attachments on this post or the following ones, the prior ones are OK. I'd love to view them and even better if some have body plate details. I suppose an extra dimension to the census would be to add registration number details as well, where known, especially original details. People do tend to remember licence plates, I still recall the first family car I knew, late 50's Holden FB station wagon, two tone blue, HAB 146 (victorian).

Cheers leconte

Hi Donat,

Viva le "PARISENNE"

Brian W

Hi Brian,

You clearly know a lot about the C&G operation, it is all very interesting. Do you have any idea of how many cars they would turn out in a week or a month - assuming they had a pretty regular production once they settled in? Or was it a case of spasmodic production, perhaps based in part on deliveries from France, perhaps demands for other cars they assembled, or in some feedback loop on sales orders or orders from dealers?

With these dates in mind, would we be right to thnk they would probably only have produced 100 to 150 cars in 1961 or possibly less, allowing for ramp up, training staff, organising local suppliers etc?

What I am getting at is, if we allow say 2 months for new stock from France to arrive at Heidelberg, then perhaps a month or more to clear existing stocks through the production line, we can see a lag in model changes of 3 to 4 months and from the appearance of those changes on remaining cars allied with sales figures from NSW, we should over time be able to closely pin down what cars were being produced at what time out of Heidelberg.

Relevant ID model changes in France (major items only are listed) that we can use a fixed time markers that I am aware of would be:

Sep 1960 12 volt electrics. I am now assuming we never had a 6 volt Parisienne after this info from Brian (any naysayers?)
May 1961 Telescopic boot lid support. Perhaps also never produced without one?
Sep 1961 Change in braking system (Richo - is this the removal of the "lock the brakes after emergency stop" feature?)
August 1962 Restyled front - second nose, synchromesh on first gear
August 1964 Motor changed to receive the 75bhp one with Crankshaft damper (seen as a disc on rear of engine outside the timing case at the base of the engine). This is my model, Series number 12-193 (my insertion of dash here).
September 1965 uprated motor (83bhp) with dual throat Solex carby, 5 stud wheels instead of centre stud. I do not believe any of these came out of Heidelberg ( until proven otherwise).

Cheers, leconte

Hi Donat,

Viva le "PARISENNE"

Brian W

Thanks an amazing piece of information there, Brian and I shall take all this information on board.

citroen1d_zpsa365e153.jpg

Thanks an amazing piece of information there, Brian and I shall take all this information on board.

citroen1d_zpsa365e153.jpg

hi Donat,

Do you have a date on this advertisement? That would be the French changes from August 1962 making it through to production and then (presume within weeks of the advert) onto the streets. I'd expect it would be around Nov or Dec 1962, for example, but it would be instructive if it was later. No point advertising changes not available for a few months?

regards, leconte