Koleos Register

Hi Garf,
Firstly, your Renault does not have to be serviced by a Renault dealer to maintain the warranty. Any competent mechanic can do the service without voiding the warranty. See 'MRP Tullamarine'! But they won't be 'free' of course.
Secondly, I don't think the 'free services' are time related, other than they have to occur during the warranty period - perhaps not even that. Difficult to make them time related because some people take ages to reach the 15,000km service interval. I only do about 10K per year, that's all. Although I feel better changing the engine oil at least once a year, but probably not necessary considering the quality of fully synthetic oil like the Shell Helix Ultra I prefer.
Also, I believe the 'free services' are sponsored by Renault Australia, and not the dealer, who therefore cannot rightly withhold them. Go to another dealer to have them done. Your vehicle history will have a note against its VIN that these services are outstanding.
Thirdly, don't waste your time with the dealer as that is a zero sum game and just leads to major aggravation. Go straight to Renault Australia Head Office in Melbourne and state your case. I found them to be super friendly and helpful and willing to bend over backwards to see that their clients are happy with any of their 'Approved Used' vehicles. They once gave me a free, gratis, electronic key, cost $450, because the careless dealer had 'lost' the spare one and would not come to the party. And there were other instances of similar nature. I cannot praise them enough. I think there is a 'contact us' facility on the Renault Australia website. Perhaps start there. Let us know how you travel with that.
If any of the 'leading lights' on this Forum, (you know who you are) care to comment here, that would be helpful as I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Well, I've only just seen this register, although I've been with AussieFrogs quite a few years. I've had mostly Peugeots, and for the 10 years up to the end of 2015 my daily drive was a 2000 D9 manual 406 coupe - which I still have, as it would fetch very little for sale, but have just let the rego expire for the time being. I also keep a (registered) 1988 Citroen 2CV ute. At the end of 2015 I replaced the Pug as my daily drive with a 2009 4X4 Pearl white diesel Koleos Dynamique 6-speed auto with 173,000km for about $10.5K, and I've had three good years of motoring with it. Though not quite as well appointed as the higher-spec ones, it had leather and a towbar and I've found it very practical and easy to live with (though different handling characteristics from the coupe, it has to be said). I wanted the diesel and the 4X4 and they didn't come up very often, this one seemed - and has turned out to be - very good value. I've replaced a battery and a side mirror mechanism I think, but that's about all, and I think it's done about 220,000km now. My next car - not in any hurry though - might well be a later model higher spec 4X4 Koleos, as they seem to still be a good-value package, as many people have said in this thread. I'd be glad to get members' thoughts on what model is best, and what pluses and minus there are with the different versions. I see from the thread that from 2014 there's an inferior steel spare wheel for example, and people find a chilled glove box useful. Is the CVT transmission a goodun'?
Cheers, all.

Reply to service advice...

Hi Breitie...

If I don't manage to get the 2 free services then I'll more then likely use an independent mechanic.

For the last 10 years we've probably been hard pressed driving 5K kms per year, so the services would be done yearly only until the warranty is over.

Might take your advice after the warranty is up and give it a good synthetic oil and leave the services a bit longer or just change the oil myself yearly.

I am awaiting some advice from RACQ with regards to the "Renault Approved Used Car" situation but going to Renault will be my next avenue. Thanks.

I hope they'll be as sympathetic to my cause as they were to you and the great service on your key, well done.

Looking forward to hearing from the other leading lights, if they are out there...

Cheers.

Garf

Hi Mogues...

I'm only a newbie to AussieFrogs, European cars (Renault) and CVT transmissions but having just bought a 2015 Koleos Bose 2WD petrol CVT and registered with AussieFrogs I have a few weeks experience with all three now.

AussieFrogs looks to be a great place to communicate with like minded people that have French Autos.

Renault Koleos so far has been a bargain replacement for our aged Hyundai Sonata, though the dead battery and con job on 2 free services has soured to experience a little.

The CVT is a little weird at first, after driving a "slushbox" for as long as I can remember. Having said that it is a very relaxed form of driving and I have been trying to economise by trying various driving styles. At the moment I am accelerating quickly to the speed limit then using the cruise as much as possible. I drive mainly very short trips 4-5 times per day and the economy is reading 11.2k/100kms. This is with A/C on. Also using E10 fuel. This is probably a little less then the 3.3l V6 Sonata was running, after 12 years.

I read that CVT boxes were meant to be more economical then regular autos but I'm not sure my results bear that out?

My Koleos does not seem to have a glove box cooler, though it does have a steel spare temporary tyre. Which is a bummer, though with our limited city driving it doesn't really matter!

The rear seats do not recline or slide forward/back. The leather seats look good, not sure whether they are true leather or some sort of synthetic, probably don't want to know actually?!

There are strange storage spaces under the rear floor pans, not sure what I can use them for at the moment? Be interested to hear what other people do?

The window tinting is nice as is the rearview camera and distance sensors. Nice to have a bit of height to slide into for my old aching bones too!

Sounds like your 2009 have kept you well.

Sorry I cannot recommend any particular version as I have only limited experience with our 2015 Koleos Bose 2.5l CVT, which will do me fine for some time to come, I hope!

Cheers.

Garf

Hi Garf,
Regrettably they discontinued the cooled glove box around 2014, also the slide out drawer under the passenger seat, and gave us the steel spare wheel instead, but at least it's full size. All cost savings I suppose.
The leather seats are genuine. The rear seats fold down to make a useful loading platform and those 'secret' storage cubbies in the floor are useful for hiding 'contraband' or stuff that you don't want stolen. I find the CVT excellent as it provides seamless and silent ratio changes and also better fuel economy.
Yesterday, for the first time, I had a back seat passenger and 'discovered' that the back is air conditioned, activated with a switch at the back of the centre console. Amazing.

Last edited:
Update on free service, etc.

Gidday Breitie...

Spoke to the RACQ about the "Renault Approved Used Car" situation and they said it sounds like I have a case and to follow up at with "Fair Trading". Checkout their website and found a section that I copied and pasted into an email I sent to the Sales Manager at the Dealership with all the information and screen shots in the hope they will come to the party Otherwise it is off to "Fair Trading".

Also sent a message to Renault Australia, to see if they might help out.

Regarding the downgrade from the previous model ... a cool glove box would be handy in the tropics and I had a cooled centre console in our old Landcruiser but for the type of driving we'll be doing in the foreseeable future it is not necessary. Same goes for the steel wheel, though it does look a little weird! I'll have to find some contraband for the rear seat storage units and the dog should appreciate the rear A/C. Have to admit the leather does look great though. Much better then a Nissan X-Trail.

Thanks for all your advice and help. Will let you know how I go with the free services.

Cheers.

Garf

Success on "Renault Approved Used Car" status!

Gidday Breitie...

I have received an email from the dealership with news that they are happy to restore the 2 free services for our Koleos, after I sent them an email reiterating our situation and outlining how "The Office of Fair Trading" thinks things should be with regards to potentially false advertising?!

I was always hopeful that this would be the eventually but I am grateful the dealer could see our side of the story and come to the party so kudos to them!

I have been trying to minimise my fuel usage but accelerating quickly off the mark and then maximising use of the cruise control. On my first full tank it seemed to start around 13.8l/100kms and I have managed to get it down to around 10.9l/100kms. I guess this is not bad considering we have fairly short drives 8-10 times per week on mostly suburban roads.

I've also not been starting the car until I'm ready to drive, and shutting it down as soon as I arrive. Every little bit helps. Unfortunately it's nowhere near the economy of a diesel, but with our driving environment (suburban) and lack of kilometres/trip I think getting under 11.8l/100kms (as suggested by Redbook) is OK.
Hopefully I can further reduce this with practice?

I have seen an interesting car tent/screen on eBay that fits on the back of the car and simply pegs down at each corner utilising the tail gate to support the roof. Reasonably priced at ~$200. I was thinking that this would be good with a suitably sized "mattress" in the back, and with the tailgate down, for simple short-term camping adventures or long distant travel stops? Anyone had any experience with these?

:snail:

Cheers.

Garf

Hi Garf,
Glad to hear that you have had a 'win' regarding the two 'free' services. So it should be. Pity one often has to resort to unpleasant 'co-ersion', which sours dealer/client relationships even more than they already are.
With reference to the 'annexe' for the Koleos: I have seen it displayd at a car show as a useful accessory for people who like camping.

Two free services?

Gidday Breitie...

I was expecting to maybe get a couple of vouchers for the 2 free services from Renault but instead I was told my "file" has been updated with this information and to bring in the email as confirmation when I claim the services?

Just wondering whether this is normal practise or should I query it?

Also wondering how strick they are with regards to servicing and warranty, vis-a-vis if you go a little over time or distance will they void the warranty? The reason I ask is that I have 2 slightly different measures for the next service. The log book say the last service was done last July at ~47,000 kms and then there is a Renault sticker on the windscreen stating the next service is due at 57,000 kms on June 2019? Should I follow the Renault sticker or go for 62,000 kms on July 2019?

Still trying to minimise fuel use and got it down to 10.5l/100 kms with the AC on.

Cheers.

Garf

Hi Garf,
Firstly, your Renault does not have to be serviced by a Renault dealer to maintain the warranty. Any competent mechanic can do the service without voiding the warranty. See 'MRP Tullamarine'! But they won't be 'free' of course.
Secondly, I don't think the 'free services' are time related, other than they have to occur during the warranty period - perhaps not even that. Difficult to make them time related because some people take ages to reach the 15,000km service interval. I only do about 10K per year, that's all. Although I feel better changing the engine oil at least once a year, but probably not necessary considering the quality of fully synthetic oil like the Shell Helix Ultra I prefer.
Also, I believe the 'free services' are sponsored by Renault Australia, and not the dealer, who therefore cannot rightly withhold them. Go to another dealer to have them done. Your vehicle history will have a note against its VIN that these services are outstanding.
Thirdly, don't waste your time with the dealer as that is a zero sum game and just leads to major aggravation. Go straight to Renault Australia Head Office in Melbourne and state your case. I found them to be super friendly and helpful and willing to bend over backwards to see that their clients are happy with any of their 'Approved Used' vehicles. They once gave me a free, gratis, electronic key, cost $450, because the careless dealer had 'lost' the spare one and would not come to the party. And there were other instances of similar nature. I cannot praise them enough. I think there is a 'contact us' facility on the Renault Australia website. Perhaps start there. Let us know how you travel with that.
If any of the 'leading lights' on this Forum, (you know who you are) care to comment here, that would be helpful as I may be wrong.

Of course cap price discount and free service offers are time related how could you say otherwise your book states servicing due at xxxx klms and xxxx months and 100% the dealer can say no if they do it out of the grace period noted by the importer/manufacturer they won’t get paid

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Just added a 2014 build 2015 compliance diesel 4wd auto Privledge with 58000 klms to my 2008 Diesel 2000000 k manual.Love it , never had anyone in back seat ,towbar never used ,full dealer service history , new tyres and front brakes .Intent was to to sell the manual which I use to do rally controls and go back to one car at the moment and buy a toy of some sort later. Think the newie is almost too good for the bush .Got 6.5 klm per ltr on an easy Freeway trip at the weekend, so very happy with that.

Just added a 2014 build 2015 compliance diesel 4wd auto Privledge with 58000 klms to my 2008 Diesel 2000000 k manual.Love it , never had anyone in back seat ,towbar never used ,full dealer service history , new tyres and front brakes .Intent was to to sell the manual which I use to do rally controls and go back to one car at the moment and buy a toy of some sort later. Think the newie is almost too good for the bush .Got 6.5 klm per ltr on an easy Freeway trip at the weekend, so very happy with that.
Sounds like a good deal and a sensible plan. Wow, 2000000km! Is that correct? Two million? Move over Toyota!
Also, 6.5km/litre amounts to 15.39 litres per 100km. That cannot be correct? Perhaps you meant 6.5lit per 100km? Even that number is sus. Should be closer to 9.0 lit/100km. I am confused. In any case, I wish you happy motoring in your new acquisition. I have a 2014 model myself and even though it was thrashed around the back-woods of Tasmania as a much abused Budget hire car, is still in top condition.

There are strange storage spaces under the rear floor pans, not sure what I can use them for at the moment? Be interested to hear what other people do?
I keep a set of premium high-amp jumper leads in one of them. A tight squeeze, but they do fit.
Jo

Sounds like a good deal and a sensible plan. Wow, 2000000km! Is that correct? Two million? Move over Toyota!
Also, 6.5km/litre amounts to 15.39 litres per 100km. That cannot be correct? Perhaps you meant 6.5lit per 100km? Even that number is sus. Should be closer to 9.0 lit/100km. I am confused. In any case, I wish you happy motoring in your new acquisition. I have a 2014 model myself and even though it was thrashed around the back-woods of Tasmania as a much abused Budget hire car, is still in top condition.
Yes, sorry 200.000 klm.The manual rarely gets above 7lt per 100klm on the highway and is always under 9 around town.The auto seems to be high 8's around town but 6's on the highway but they are on a relatively small sample.The manual figures are over the last 20,000 klm and they are real I can assure you!

I keep a set of premium high-amp jumper leads in one of them. A tight squeeze, but they do fit.
Jo
The rear floor cavities hide a red wine bottle, one each side, (or 6 x beer cans) whilst you can fit a couple of whites (not Riesling) in the chilled glovebox along with the cheese and pate and the dry biscuits go under the armrest. They are to be consumed off the rear picnic tables.

here are strange storage spaces under the rear floor pans, not sure what I can use them for at the moment? Be interested to hear what other people do?
Don't know who resurrected this two year old comment but it is an interesting question none the less. The obvious answer is that these cars were made specifically for smugglers of drugs and other illegal contraband. May come in handy these days for conveying Covid vaccine!

Just found this thread

I have a 2012 Koleos Privilege Diesel with 66k km on the clock.

Owned since new.

Thanks

I am guessing I should post here. New member and all.
Bought a Koleos Zen start of 2017, late 2016 made, current shape (I have no idea what model numbers are).
Done about 110k on the speedo and still think the suv is decent (although a couple of problems now)

Sadly I have just parted ways with my lovely 11 yr old Koli, 2.5l 2wd with full alloy spare. We miss the chilled glovebox - chilled ice coffee drink was a fave reviver! I kept a wet weather jacket in the back floor pan hidey-hole for breakdowns - never needed it. Never owned a car that long, but couldn’t find anything as good until recently. Make that “didn’t want to find” - but was eventually tempted by some of the modern driver aids. Average fuel was 9.3 litre 100km, gently driven.
And today in Waurn Ponds - there it was opposite me at the lights, doing what it always did - out shopping or adventuring.
So after 9 Renaults, a few Peugeots and 4 Citroens, I’m now in a Japanese build. I miss the CVT - it was so smooth c/f the six speed box I have now - and I miss my chilled coffee.