Koleos Register

Just bought a 2009 Dynamique 2.5 6 speed manual with 80k on it Have had to do a small amount of work to bring it up to spec but couldn't be happier. Great car so far

Bought a 2014 (Nov) Bose 2.5 CVT (2WD) with 60k on it 2 months ago. Apart from a few scratches, the car still feels new and is great to drive.

Had to get some new tyres after picking up the car also had a strut top bearing replaced under warranty. Otherwise, the car has been fantastic. The previous owner had also the optional rear camera on it as well, so the only differences between this and the Privilege really seemed to be limited to the rims, sunroof and heated front seat equipment wise.

Looking forward to keeping this car for quite a while. Any idea how the 2WD version handles light off-road (fire tracks, etc) and snow conditions?

Bought a 2014 (Nov) Bose 2.5 CVT (2WD) with 60k on it 2 months ago. Apart from a few scratches, the car still feels new and is great to drive.

Had to get some new tyres after picking up the car also had a strut top bearing replaced under warranty. Otherwise, the car has been fantastic. The previous owner had also the optional rear camera on it as well, so the only differences between this and the Privilege really seemed to be limited to the rims, sunroof and heated front seat equipment wise.

Looking forward to keeping this car for quite a while. Any idea how the 2WD version handles light off-road (fire tracks, etc) and snow conditions?

Based on past 2WD rally experience and the fact that although I have an AWD Koleos it is left in Auto 4x4 mode and there are very few occasions that 4x4 is really needed. I say those occasions were a few km of deep mud with the sump guard dragging on top of the dirt and in km after km of 180cm deep snow......

Just became part of the Koleos family. Picked up a 2015 4wd Bose Premium with 47,000 k on Saturday. Ex Hertz rental bought from Unley Renault (Adelaide). Has sunroof and had towbar fitted in addition to all the normal Bose stuff. Pretty happy so far. Few tiny paint chips which will be fixed (I was promised). Like the car so far except tyre noise seems a bit excessive but will see (new tyres - not sure what they are, I think whatever they normally come with).

Just worked out how to add avatar and signature so adding a bit more stuff! Previously had use of Dad's 1955 Peugeot 203 and Sister's Renault Dauphine which I rolled and wrote off! Had Scenic for a few years. Various other European cars as well as other less interesting stuff!

Koleos bought to replace Volvo XC90 which is too high to get into easily for our ancient bones and wife has BMW 316 which is too low!

Hi everyone, just joined Koleos family. Picked our first European car, 2016 Renault Koleos Bose Premium with 49,000 km on Friday from Watson Renault (Melbourne). Its ex Hertz like 2bob's.

First impression is great, it's very light to drive and has an excellent list of accessories and service form the Dealership was excellent.

I believe it to be best value for money car in the market atm.

Welcome to the clan! We hope you enjoy the experience as much as we have!

Just done first long trip. Towed racing car on trailer to Phillip Island last weekend (Wednesday over, Monday return). Reckon trailer with car on weighs 1200Kg, had 2 people all the way, 3 for maybe 1/4 of the way and 3 people's luggage plus tools etc in boot plus spare back seat with bags etc. Went in convoy with 3 other cars so swapped passengers at each fuel (petrol and coffee) stop, didn't actually leave any passengers behind! Sat on speed limit all the way except in stop/start traffic coming out of Melbourne at rush hour. Used 91 octane on the way over, 95 on the way back, didn't seem to affect usage too much or performance that I could tell. Roughly 13.5 to 14 litres/100k which is about what I get around town on short trips. Quite happy with that, Volvo used to be 14.5 to 15 under same conditions. Pretty happy with car so far. Dealership hasn't got back to me about fixing little stone chips (and I haven't followed up - must do so). Intermittent rattle from the back somewhere, sounds like possible shocker noise or possibly spare wheel cover but can't find it, anyone else had similar?

Well almost fifteen years since we bought our first 2004 Renault Scenic Expression II. And have just recently passed it on to our daughter and son-in-law. 235k, two timing belt changes, rear and front rotors changed once and all the other usual stuff. Outside temp sensor and driving lights wiring loom changed in warranty and that is about it. At 150k changed all coils to Swan coils.
For most of its life used SynForce Semi syn oil and a bigger oil filter with a neo-magnet left on it. Every oil change has been the same, zero usage and clean as and changes at 12k+ or -.
When son-in-law took in for roadworthy the mechanic was greatly impressed by excellent mechanicals of the Scenic.
Not even sure when I signed in originally to Aussie Frogs (just noted 2005)but can remember members doing timing belts and dampers and water pumps and have never done and have inspected all. Has been and still is a brilliant vehicle.
The space in them is huge and just last boxing day our fridge doors both fell off and raced in to Harvey Norman's and picked up a large SS two door LG Fridge in its box, drove around the back and all saying you will never fit it in. A little encouragement from me to the guys loading it and in it went with about 10mm to spare and the back lid almost closed (tied it down with little hook I have fitted for these occasions.
OK out with the old one and we are now the happy owners of a new Renault Koleos Life for about the same price we paid for the 04 Scenic. Gotta say was a bit like stepping into the space age driving it for the first time. The steering is amazing the way it changes at low speeds and stiffens a bit at higher speeds. The comfort level and ride is excellent. So only at 1.5k and looking forward to many years of trouble free driving. Am kind of wondering what is this 30k service interval. What happened to the 10k free service from new that Renault used to do? Was hoping I could use the local Nissan dealer to get my services done it least the first ones. This Koleos seems to be a Renault sitting on complete Nissan X Trail running gear. Which have been told is tried, tested and proved bullet proof.
Have taken couple of pics in garage, it does fit.
So nice to see Renault has lifted the brand a bit, just get servicing more widespread.
Cheers and nice to read all the comments from new members. 20180805_114211.jpg20180802_141432.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the Koleos family Mr Revscene. You are likely to have the same great experience with your shiny new 'Life' as you did with the venerable Scenic. Wow, 235K is phenomenal.
Just looking at that picture of the Scenic fills me with nostalgia for the one I had, and regret that that amazingly practical and useful model was allowed to fade into oblivion. The design of it was pure unmitigated genius. Ah well, so it goes. They call it progress.

Well almost fifteen years since we bought our first 2004 Renault Scenic Expression II. And have just recently passed it on to our daughter and son-in-law. 235k, two timing belt changes, rear and front rotors changed once and all the other usual stuff. Outside temp sensor and driving lights wiring loom changed in warranty and that is about it. At 150k changed all coils to Swan coils.
For most of its life used SynForce Semi syn oil and a bigger oil filter with a neo-magnet left on it. Every oil change has been the same, zero usage and clean as and changes at 12k+ or -.
When son-in-law took in for roadworthy the mechanic was greatly impressed by excellent mechanicals of the Scenic.
Not even sure when I signed in originally to Aussie Frogs (just noted 2005)but can remember members doing timing belts and dampers and water pumps and have never done and have inspected all. Has been and still is a brilliant vehicle.
The space in them is huge and just last boxing day our fridge doors both fell off and raced in to Harvey Norman's and picked up a large SS two door LG Fridge in its box, drove around the back and all saying you will never fit it in. A little encouragement from me to the guys loading it and in it went with about 10mm to spare and the back lid almost closed (tied it down with little hook I have fitted for these occasions.
OK out with the old one and we are now the happy owners of a new Renault Koleos Life for about the same price we paid for the 04 Scenic. Gotta say was a bit like stepping into the space age driving it for the first time. The steering is amazing the way it changes at low speeds and stiffens a bit at higher speeds. The comfort level and ride is excellent. So only at 1.5k and looking forward to many years of trouble free driving. Am kind of wondering what is this 30k service interval. What happened to the 10k free service from new that Renault used to do? Was hoping I could use the local Nissan dealer to get my services done it least the first ones. This Koleos seems to be a Renault sitting on complete Nissan X Trail running gear. Which have been told is tried, tested and proved bullet proof.
Have taken couple of pics in garage, it does fit.
So nice to see Renault has lifted the brand a bit, just get servicing more widespread.
Cheers and nice to read all the comments from new members.View attachment 108628View attachment 108629
Most manufacturers seem to have dropped the 1500km free check up now. The 30,000 service is still every 12 months so if you only do 18,000km a year (roughly your Scenic), you still need an annual service.

You get the Renault capped price services at a Renault dealer, probably a fair bit cheaper than Nissan.

I've got 4 friends with new model Koleos's, and my boss at work has one. Ask speak very highly of them, their handling especially, which is extremely good for an SUV.

You'll also be happy to know in the worst case, they hold up surprisingly well in a high speed crash. One of our work XTrail's got t-boned with both cars going at 100. The car rolled. All occupants were able to open their doors and walk away.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thanks for the welcome on the forum Brettie. Yes, I could not agree with you more. I stood there at the dealers watching our daughter drive off in the Scenic and felt a few separation pains as she drove away. Definitely a touch of genius in the design and still stands out as a great looking and very practical vehicle.
Well heres to a long 'Life'.

Thanks for that Daniel, I had forgotten about the 1500k checkup. But am very interested in how this 30k works out. I know oils have improved greatly but don't think 30k sounds right. But maybe full synthetics, if that is the case, are better than I think they are. In any case my use over year is more like 15k so should work out fine.
Had a look underneath and definitely XTrail, even driveshaft tunnel down the middle. Looks like a nice mix of Renault top and XTrail bottom.
CVT is very nice to drive and note in cruise control tends to accelerate hard when under load. I can manually avoid this happening and wondering if can be adjusted.

Thanks for that Daniel, I had forgotten about the 1500k checkup. But am very interested in how this 30k works out. I know oils have improved greatly but don't think 30k sounds right. But maybe full synthetics, if that is the case, are better than I think they are. In any case my use over year is more like 15k so should work out fine.
Had a look underneath and definitely XTrail, even driveshaft tunnel down the middle. Looks like a nice mix of Renault top and XTrail bottom.
CVT is very nice to drive and note in cruise control tends to accelerate hard when under load. I can manually avoid this happening and wondering if can be adjusted.
Every CVT car I've driven had been very raucous in acceleration on the cruise control. I used to drive a few rental Toyota's with CVT, and the Prius was the worst.

The only fix I've ever been able to find is accelerate more conservatively with a smaller throttle opening to close to the speed, then resume cruise. Surprisingly doesn't seem slower.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

2015 Koleos Bose 2.5l CVT - issue with purchase

Bonjour a tous...

Just purchased a 2015 Koleos Bose 2.5l CVT, white, 47k kms for better then half original price. :wink2: Blown away with all the bells and whistles and still trying to get used to it after a couple of weeks.

Fantastic car but I think I was the subject of false advertising by the dealer. I had been watching the car via carsales.com for a month or so and after a couple of price drops decided to take it for a test drive. Go a lousy offer for our old Hyundai so went home to discuss options with partner. Received an email from carsales to say the price had dropped since we took it for a test drive, so when the salesman rang we made a deal over the phone. Before the call I rechecked the carsales advert and confirmed it still had the "Renault Approved Used Car" option, as shown by a logo on the car's picture. After signing the contract I enquired about the 2 free services that came with the "Renault Approved Used Car" status and was told that had been dropped to cover the price drop! :nownow:

Now I started to think I had not seen the logo on the last carsales advert after I check when they had dropped the price, but when I got home I was able to check the page and it was still there so I took screen shots for proof.

I have since been in contact with the dealer and shown them the screen shots but they are not willing to come to the party! :banana:

Just wondering what your thoughts might be to follow this up with Renault, Carsales, RACQ, or anyone else that might be interested. This has become a matter of principal to me now!

Sorry about getting off track but I am new to this site, which looks great, and I just needed to vent my spleen a little. :mad:

Cheers

P.S. I also had a problem last night, 16 days after buying the car, when the car wouldn't start so called Renault Roadside Assist who came out and replaced the battery. That is another story altogether so I wont bore you with details but would love to know where I could chat about this one too! :cry:

P.S. I also had a problem last night, 16 days after buying the car, when the car wouldn't start so called Renault Roadside Assist who came out and replaced the battery. That is another story altogether so I wont bore you with details but would love to know where I could chat about this one too! :cry:
Welcome Garf_au,
You could talk Koleos in the neighbouring thread Or follow this link.
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/re...orum/98928-koleos-hints-tips-problems-30.html

Jo

Koleos Battery Issue!

Gidday Jo :cheers:...

Thanks for the welcome.

I have chatted to all relevant parties relating to the dead battery issue and I think I'll just have to bear it!

Interesting story though.

Car was made in April 2015, complied in August 2016, sold in November 2016 and the original battery was changed in November 2016. It should've still be under Renault 2 year warranty but was replaced by the RACQ and not Renault Roadside Assist?! This RACQ battery died on us on the 31st of October and the RACQ battery had 7/10/16 written on it, which I assume was the date it was installed! Unfortunately as it was not a Renault battery and the RACQ battery warranty are not transferable we are out of pocket on our Koleos' replacement battery!!!

Seems strange that this car has been through 2 batteries in 3.5 years. Checked with the dealer we purchased it from and they seemed to think that was OK?!

Will be interesting to see how long the SSB battery lasts, that was installed by the Renault Roadside Assist representative, as it has a 3 year warranty, and is as long as the new car warranty. So at least there is symmetry there.

Garf

:renplak:

Hello garf_au, welcome to the Koleos family.
I cannot but suspect that the 'white 2015 Koleos with 47K on the clock' is an ex rental, probably from Budget, and most likely from Tasmania or Victoria. Check the Owners Handbook for the original owner. They come with the 'two free services' through Renault Approved Used Vehicles. Hence also the attractive price! Can't complain about that now can you!
That does not detract from the value or reliability of the car because they are usually well looked after by the rental people. Sometimes they are a bit rough after being driven by 'foreigners' usually from the Middle Kingdom, who cannot drive or are careless and think these cars are all-terrain vehicles.
How do I know all this: because I bought one of them, a 2014 model Koleos Bose with 23K on the clock from Budget, and after nearly four years am happy as Larry. Still have the 'two free services' outstanding but am reluctant to go to any one of the two dealers because they mess up more than they fix, speaking from bitter experience.
A Koleos is not difficult to service, unless there is something tricky to do, like changing the accessories drive belt, but that only happens at 100K. All that normally needs to be done is clearly listed in the Service Booklet, and usually involves what I call "fluids and filters" and then only every 15,000km. Tyres and brake pads need looking at as well of course. And plugs at 60K, a cinch.
Regarding the battery problem: that is unfortunate. I too got a battery replaced by RACQ in a previous car, that failed after a short period. I drove the car right into the RACQ Service Centre and demanded an new free replacement, which, after a bit of official stuffing around, was installed.

I think you are correct - our Koleos is an ex-hire car!?

Gidday Breitie...

Thanks for the reply.

I originally thought our Koleos was not an ex-rental, as there is little info in the service manual. The record for who originally purchase the car is empty and the two original services were not done by Renault but by an "MRP Industries P/L". When I originally Google MRP I thought I had found a company related to the building industry, but after your information it would appear that they are actually mechanics at Tullamarine Airport!

This ties in perfectly with your thinking, along with approximately 2 years service as a rental and between 40K and 50K kms range!

I am quite happy with this result as my last car was an ex-Hertz rental Hyundai Sonata, purchased at a great discount direct from Hertz, which lasted us nearly 10 years with hardly any issues, expect for the last 6 months. Which prompted us to upgrade.

As mentioned in my original blog, the dealer withdrew the "Renault Approved Used Car" bonus (including the 2 free services) when they dropped the price not long after we took it for a test drive. Unfortunately for them they did not drop the original "Renault Approved Used Car" logo from the updated carsales advert. So we are in the process of trying to work out how to encourage them to honour their advertised deal!

I was interested to note that you have not used the 2 free services after having had your Koleos for a couple of years? Does that mean you do not have to use them in order of when they are due?, or you just don't trust them and decided to forgo using them at all?

As for doing my own services, hopefully I can wrangle our free services and hope the dealer are a grade up from your experiences. That way I can be guaranteed our 3 years new car warranty remains intact.

As for the battery, I have exhausted my enquires for getting a refund under warranty via Renault, Dealer and Car Club (RACQ/NRMA), so just put that one down to experience I suppose.

So glad to see someone with basically the same car, just hope we are as much in love with ours as you are with yours, after a period of time. So far so good!

Cheers.

Garf