Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

Power your reversing camera off the reversing lights.

The camera will only draw a few milliamps and should not upset nor overload the multiplex switching.

You may get some disturbance on the screen when reverse is first selected due to the camera initialising but that should not be a problem.

You will still need to run a video a feed to the ICE unit, unless you can find and use the factory fitted cable.

Thanks everyone for your very useful input. Multiplexed versus de-multiplexed? It's all Greek to me! I am tempted to ditch the reverse camera installation because it is not worth the trouble. The 'Response' unit with in-mirror LCD monitor I got from JAYCAR is just about useless because the reflection from the black-glass mirror supplied obscures the image. You end up with a seriously compromised rear-view mirror and a useless reverse camera view. I strongly advise against this expensive bit ineffective unit. Perhaps someone can suggest a better one.

Just a possibility - even if the rear 12v socket is not fitted in the Expression - maybe the harness still has the socket hanging out of it, not connected to anything. Worth a look behind the trim panels?

Thanks everyone for your very useful input. Multiplexed versus de-multiplexed? It's all Greek to me! I am tempted to ditch the reverse camera installation because it is not worth the trouble. The 'Response' unit with in-mirror LCD monitor I got from JAYCAR is just about useless because the reflection from the black-glass mirror supplied obscures the image. You end up with a seriously compromised rear-view mirror and a useless reverse camera view. I strongly advise against this expensive bit ineffective unit. Perhaps someone can suggest a better one.
Sorry, I can't help in Greek but can give a simplified explanation in neo-english. The car makers found that they could cut the cost and weight and copper usage of cable harnesses, not to mention the high current connectors and the manual labour of harness making by multiplexing. They use one high current cable or bus to supply a number of electrical loads in the car. The switches become a low current device much like a computer keyboard switch. This sends a simple code down the cable which contains an instruction like on or off or dim in simple binary preceded by another simple binary code which is the address of the load device being controlled. At each load is a chip which listens on the bus for its own personal address. When it hears it, it, then using some logic and a power semiconductor switch, it does what is required.

If you add loads to the bus you have to make sure that they do not short out the high frequency operating messages flying around and don't send interference themselves. The multiplexed devices have appropriate filters; other electronics, relays etc. may not.
The overall effect is that you cannot easily hook things onto the bus and you have to have the coded switch and decoder chip data which only the manufacturer supplies.

Fuel tank capacity?

2L dCI 6 speed manual.
Last fill was just under 55L for just over 700k's.
Haven't put any more than this in the tank.
Low fuel light on.
Has anyone put more than this in their tank???

David

What tyre pressures are you guys all running with?

Running at the factory recommendations is just brutal for tyre life on the fronts in my experience. It really kneels on them hard through the turns.

Running 36/37 psi front and 32 psi rear.
Have got the standard Hankooks supplied.
Got to say VERY impressed with them.
Haven't let me down yet.
Have done 75K on them and recon they have at least another 7K to go.
First reg Dec 2008.

It has to be kneeling right over at 80+ kph in bends before electronics kick in.
ABS also doesn't kick in too early.

David

Had a lot of fun dismantling the trim at the back of the Koleos and am amazed at how easy it is and how various parts just 'click' into place. I am convinced that modern car designers serve their apprenticeship with LEGO!
Anyway, I discovered what I assume to be the main harness, which has various unused plugs hanging off it, probably for the electric handbrake, park-assist and so on, stuff that the my Expression does not have. Regrettably these tricky-looking multi-pin female sockets are not labelled or identified in any way and I cannot tell which, if any, could be for the missing power socket.
I bought a cigarette-lighter type socket from JayCar for $12, which comes with a length (not enough) of cable. Now, if I can identify the correct outlet off the harness, then all I need is a male plug that fits, and some more cable. I wonder, are these plugs generic or peculiar to every make of car?
Alternatively, I could trade-up to a Dynamique with rear power socket! That would be $12 versus $10,000. Hmmmm...!

To my four registered fellow Koleos owners, I say hello, and all the best for the new year!
During the holidays I drove all over the place, and covered many kilometers.
The Koleos behaved competently and as I get to know it better, am rapidly 'bonding' with it.

A tip: for quick answers to your technical questions you might also consult the Australian X-Trail forum,
which is very active and filled with good information on mechanical components shared with the Koleos.

2L dCI 6 speed manual.
Last fill was just under 55L for just over 700k's.
Haven't put any more than this in the tank.
Low fuel light on.
Has anyone put more than this in their tank???

David

David, I have not run the fuel down low enough to have the light come on, yet. Will let you know when I do.
A related question: how accurate is the Koleos trip meter? Mine seems to be at least 2lit+ out.
My Scenic was 100% correct, ie when the trip meter said I had used say 35lit, then 35lit topped the tank.
Whilst when the Koleos trip meter says 35lit, then it needs 37-38lit to fill. I even tried different bowsers
and service stations (because some service stations cheat!) but still the same result.

Breitie,

Because I always fill before a long 1/2 hr trip, I always fill to the brim ie the filler neck.
It's always 2~3 litres out, compared to the trip computer.

David

My poor little Koleos is in getting some TLC.

Started spitting out an assload of error messages over the weekend. All rectified with a restart of the car at this stage so hopefully it is just a dicky sensor somewhere or similar.

Wish me luck.

Pieman,

Symptoms?
Resolution?
Keep us informed.

David

Problem resolved. Billing an issue.

Battery was on the way out and was delivering low voltage apparently which made the sensors go bananas. New battery in and no problems since then.

(What have they done with this format? Will have to get used to it again I suppose.)
Anyway, regarding my Koleos: upon cold starting the thing makes an awful rattling racket, obviously until the oil has circulated.
The original oil is Elf fully synthetic 5W-W40. Is that too thin? Would I be better off using 10W-40W, perhaps even 'Magnetic' so that metal parts have a bit of a residual coating of oil upon cold start? I suspect the rattle comes from the camshaft/camCHAIN ? I am so happy to now have the cam CHAIN instead of the unreliable dodgy rubber belt and am willing to put up with a bit of old fashioned cam-chain rattle.

Changed oil to SHELL HELIX ULTRA fully synthetic. No more death rattle!

Anyone else noticed their smartphone kills the proximity key if you have them close together?

Anyone else noticed their smartphone kills the proximity key if you have them close together?

Yes. All these wonderful electronic gadgets interfere with each other. One of the latest car theft tricks is to take a garage door remote to a shopping centre car park and wait until someone is about to lock their car with their remote key, then press the garage door remote at the same time. This disables the car remote and all the thief has to do is wait for the victim to walk away to do their shopping, before clearing their car of valuables, or even stealing it. Simple! So, when you park your car with your remote, make sure it is actually locked.

Any ideas for 'customising' my lovely Koleos? I have fitted front mudflaps (should be standard actually), also an aftermarket rubber 'door protector strip' along the vee on the lower part of the doors because that is very vulnerable to chipping in parking lots (looks shmick - not shown in the early picture at left, but you see what I mean about 'vulnerable') as well as door sill nameplates (are supposed to light up but there is NO WAY I am cutting into the wiring loom - need to connect them to the in-door foot lights), and a black plastic grill to protect the radiator from debris (gutter guard actually, from Bunnings, fits perfectly and costs nothing) I need more ideas.

Just bought a Koleos Dynamique and in redland bay area and enjoying it! How is your gutter guard holding up and how did you hold it into place? I saw a grill insert for koleos in eBay for $150 but holes are big and seeing little rock dents in the soft grill fins already. Where do you get your Renault serviced? Did you eventually get your sill plates installed?

Also am getting slightly rough engine starts on my petrol, mostly when engine is hot (oil too thin for engine starts when hot?). Did the Shell Ultra 5w-40 also hold up? Also anyone servicing at 15k intervals - my dealer says 15k interval ok but my manual and Renault web site says 10k. I think Nissan says 15k also. Confused.

Thanks in advance and sorry for lots of questions.

P.s. I also bought koleos 4 piece door chrome inserts, LED interior lights (OEM too dim), PVC flooring to protect the plastic tailgate (scratches easy) and thinking of painting the silver sat nav trim piano black to reduce windscreen glare like in the Bose and privilege. Otherwise may need to buy dash mat as glare is pretty bad. Also there are DRL fit for koleos but only connects to the fog lights.

Also I do not like the door protector strips as can damage paint in QLD sun.

Wow! An other Koleos enthusiast at last! Welcome! Congratulations on getting the Dynamique. That puts you ahead of my humble Expression. But my car is not short on features, except auto handbrake, wipers and lights. Don't need those as I still have two hands.
Now to your questions:
Gutter Guard: radiator protector is holding up fine, you have a choice of several at Bunnings. I bought soft plastic one with smallish openings and fixed it with white cable ties (car is white).
Service intervals: only needed one service so far, done locally. Nothing to it, the handbook itemises what needs to be done at each service level. No mystery there. Later services, say 30K upwards may need a bit more work, like brakes, plugs, change of fluids etc.
Sill plates: I installed the illuminated sill plates myself, easy, as everything just clips together. Finding the right wire to cut into took a bit of puzzling, but managed that too as wires are colour coded.
Rough starts: grated on my nerves (refer to post above) but since oil change and new oil filter, no more timing chain rattle. Don't know why. Perhaps the new filter, branded Nissan, has a non-backflow function that prevents all the oil from the head to drain back down. I notice on the X-trail forum owners mentioned a similar occurrence and someone suggested the appropriate oil filter. Different oil may have something to do with it too.
Service intervals: in my case once-a-year, or 10,000km is the minimum. Modern synthetic oils last a long time but still get dirty.
Dash mat: cannot find one, too few Koleos'e here, therefore no aftermarket. I use a dark towel to keep the dash from cooking and to reduce glare.
Reversing camera: bought one from JayCar, not expensive and easily installed. Internet is full of choices also.
I also bought a new set of number plates from PPQ, with a "slimline" front plate. Looks much better.
Was tempted to get the KOLEO5 plate in blue and yellow, but at $450 just not worth it.
Was that the lot? Maybe we can arrange a two-Koleos "rally" some day and compare notes!!
Finally, my Koleos is wonderful to drive and I enjoy it more very day. CANNOT, for the life of me understand why they cannot sell them here. Also, I noticed that the new RAV4 looks almost identical. Funny that! Copycats!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Dash mat is available in Australia.
Ebay special.
Have had one for over 2 years - does the job admirably.
Spoke to Renault about getting black trim imported from overseas initially, but nothing eventuated.
Which idiot thought that a shiny dash trim part would not get complaints in a sunny country???

David