INCHCAPE To Show Us How To Sell Citroens?

I doubt I'll be buying another Citroen now.

A possible conspiracy theory; they want potential Citroen buyers who appreciate being different to walk into their Subaru showrooms so they can cross-sell them boring but safe Subaru's that yield a higher margin. Could Citroen now just be the bait?

Well the dealer in Shepparton is primarily a Mazda dealership. However almost certainly a significant expansion will result if they are to display both Citroen and Peugeot.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

There is nothing that has the all round strengths of the C4 Picasso sadly no longer available thanks to Sime Darby.

I noticed that Gateway Wollongong is back for service only. They bought Corbans and dropped Cit a while ago. McKay at Moss Vale has some followers. Nice to see someone in Tamworth..
They dropped Peugeot & Citroën sales (in March) but they remained as a service agent, AFAIK, so they are not "back".

I doubt I'll be buying another Citroen now.

A possible conspiracy theory; they want potential Citroen buyers who appreciate being different to walk into their Subaru showrooms so they can cross-sell them boring but safe Subaru's that yield a higher margin. Could Citroen now just be the bait?
So where do you get the notion that Subaru yield a higher margin. Is that just a theory on your part. Some might say the other way round given that the true facts.

So where do you get the notion that Subaru yield a higher margin. Is that just a theory on your part. Some might say the other way round given that the true facts.

I suspect a bit more ‘demand’ would result in a higher margin though.
Mine wasn’t much above cost due to zero demand.

(At $33,990 OR it would actually been a loss maker, I suspect)

Last edited:
Try checking out the cost of Mazda parts! Might make Subaru look better - if that is possible.....

I have owned three Subaru from new and never had to buy a part. One warranty claim for a sun visor that slipped down. On the other hand I had a new Pug with faults on delivery and several calls to replace oxygen sensors and have had an endless demand for Citroën parts, even for new cars like my Berlingo that was delivered with a part missing!

My Mazda is going in tomorrow for an airbag recall. I will see how their service compares with the new Citroën outlet here that does not as yet even have a Citroën mechanic.

I ran a Subaru for many years, as did my neighbour. We needed parts. Idler pulleys, hydraulic tappets, CV joints, clutch plates, shocks come to mind. I am not counting brake pads or timing belts or filters.

I ran a Subaru for many years, as did my neighbour. We needed parts. Idler pulleys, hydraulic tappets, CV joints, clutch plates, shocks come to mind. I am not counting brake pads or timing belts or filters.

Most of which would seem to somewhat "consumable items" , so the replacement of these parts would pretty much par for the course for Peugeot, Citroen and nearly all other brands as well.

Vehicles have an ongoing cost to maintain. :confused:

I've never had an idler collapse on a PSA engine, nor a hydraulic tappet, nor had a CV joint go under 100,000 km (boot intact). The thing that most impressed with the Subie was the transmission, most unlike an AL4.

I've never had an idler collapse on a PSA engine, nor a hydraulic tappet, nor had a CV joint go under 100,000 km (boot intact). The thing that most impressed with the Subie was the transmission, most unlike an AL4.

Failures, was information , which was not ventured in your first post. Which appeared, largely as a non specific grizzle about Subaru.

FWIW Subaru owners, both recent and less recent have among the highest brand loyalty and state they would buy Subaru again.

The same as Lexus and Toyota.

Even my WRX, which was hardly driven lightly, never missed a beat and never needed a repair. Tyres and Brake pads were replaced through abnormal wear caused by my driving style. Never enjoyed driving like that in any PSA product nor has anyone tried to carnap me in one. It happened three times in the Subaru.
The C5 I had in France was a continuous tale of woe, made worse by woeful service quality in the local Citroën garages. My XM in London with an AL4 failed to proceed on several occasions and the service was debatable. Once in Aus it seems to have had a long and relatively trouble free life.

I like Subarus too, and wish the new Liberties weren't so ugly, otherwise I'd be tempted. They are expensive to run.

Even my WRX, which was hardly driven lightly, never missed a beat and never needed a repair. Tyres and Brake pads were replaced through abnormal wear caused by my driving style. Never enjoyed driving like that in any PSA product nor has anyone tried to carnap me in one. It happened three times in the Subaru.
The C5 I had in France was a continuous tale of woe, made worse by woeful service quality in the local Citroën garages. My XM in London with an AL4 failed to proceed on several occasions and the service was debatable. Once in Aus it seems to have had a long and relatively trouble free life.

I cannot explain how utterly p!ssed off I am that Continental in Sydney has been dumped by Inchcape.

I have purchased 12 cars from them since 2001 and have been extremely happy with the sales and service, so much so that I have never considered buying a car from anyone else. Of the four current vehicles in our family, three are still within warranty (one is only a week old) and I simply would not trust anyone else to service these cars, especially my C5.

The last car I purchased before buying my first Citroen was a VW from Trivett. Their service department was dishonest about the work (supposedly) performed and the car had a warranty issue that was never resolved. I would never buy a car from them again!

How could such a stupid decision be made to remove a dealer that lives and breathes Citroen and has done for decades? What were they thinking?

:nownow:

Inchcape have decided that existing Citroen owners, a fussy lot, are of no more interest to them than the old dealers.

Easier to find new takers who ae less particular.

Inchcape couldn't care less about anything except sales numbers. And nor could Citroen or Peugeot, I suspect.

And to quite unkind the current dealer and service network weren't exactly selling very many cars.

So the accountant's approach is to give the dealerships to organizations that have a track record of selling other brands.

It's time make the realization that neither Inchcape nor the marque owners have any loyalty to so so called "faithful and loyal" unless it aids selling vehicles.

They moved away from that when their cars became competitive against all other marques and ceased to be manufactured in France alone.

Rob. They were selling cars - 60 odd years of doing it. They were the only Cit (or Pug for that matter) dealer in Sydney with a workshop trusted by just about everybody, and they had a large number of owners rusted on. The location is dreadful but they kept coming back. Unusual isn't it? No Sydney dealer as now listed will ever see my cars in his shop. If you go back to Greg's post, that's what it is about.

How could such a stupid decision be made to remove a dealer that lives and breathes Citroen and has done for decades? What were they thinking?

:nownow:

In my view reading between the lines as there is no official strategy - put simply it is all about sales and market share.

Citroen as a brand is seen as a liability both by Inchcape and PSA, Citroen sales have fallen dramatically against Peugeot. The DS brand has failed to live up to expectations.

It would seem that at least in the short term Peugeot will be the prestige brand that is supported and pushed. Citroen sales will concentrate on Light Commercial this segment will no longer be available via Peugeot with existing vehicles being re-branded as Citroen. This move makes Peugeot dealers more attractive to Inchcape as they already have infrastucture for sales and service.

Taking your late model hydraulic Citroen to the newly appointed dealers is going to draw some blank stares and head scratching, I doubt they will have the ability to interrogate, read codes, diagnose, update firmware, supply parts etc. at least in the short term.

I think sidestepping Australia's most respected Citroen dealer confirms what we have believed for a long, long time. PSA does not see a future for Citroen and is nailing down the coffin. Those loyal to the brand have been mourning for too long - time to relegate the brand to history and enjoy our classics.

Cheers
Chris