Hot 505

Pug_405_Mi16

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
All,

I am currently starting to build a really stinking hot 505, I was wondering how it's going to go ? and if anyone has seen a 505 with these mods before.....I am assuming it wont muck about though !

It's going to have a stinking hot ported & polished 504 head...fully modified to use 2x DCOE WEBBER carbies, I am going to look for a set of extractors or a big bore manifold off an early 505...

Also it is going to be getting a hot cam put in it as well....

Any other suggestions on how to make this car go better ? It will be going into a 1981 505 GR Body...

Cheers Ben.....

I've seen a 504 which had a totally rebuilt engine and twin webers on it, and it was pushing about 150 horses... about 110kw i think. Compared to its current 71kw it should fly!

:D :D approve :D :D

Were the DCOE Webbers or normal top draft webbers's ?

a_drink *this has no use...just had to use it*

Ben mallet

I have to say I am looking foward to owning a 505 again ! I kinda miss my old beast !

It was an 82 SRD Turbo head_ban ...it was a slug :)

Ben a_drink

Ben,
Use 2 45 mm Webers (one b!) with around 34 mm venturis. Use a TI head but you will probably have to downsize the inlet ports to 36 mm from the normal 39m.(use "Devcon" filler). In no way should you enlarge them. An SLI head has 36mm ports standard and would be better. I have seen many motors built to this spec but hardly any go any good, due I think to the port size being too large.
You will have to get an inlet manifold made, not difficult and you will need a distributor extension.
A Wade 140 cam will work well, but you will have to machine the tops of the pistons to clear the inlet valves. Don't go any higher than about 9.5 to 1 compression. The big bore manifold will work fine.
Fit an STI front end, in fact fit STI everything in the suspension department. At the very least replace the rear antiroll bar with one from a 504.
By the time you do all of this it is probably cheaper to fit a V6, the webers will cost heaps to tune and the car will only be of use in competition.

Regards, Graham Wallis

I already have the twin DCOE's and the head is already done....

I am also getting a 640 lift cam for it as well!

We will see how it goes :)

Ben

Yes, it is 1mm thicker and makes a noticeable improvement. A 604 bar is the biggest available 2 mm thicker.

Graham

Would it be better to track down a 604's bar?

i need to do the bushes on the 505, so I'll replace the rollbar then

Graham.....Alan Robertson said to tell you.....this car will go like STINK !

Alan said you would remember him :D

Cheers

Ben

I guess each to his own, but I'd start with a manual GTi. Surely there's more hp and torque in there, than in a 504 motor?

So why does a 2L OHV carb. motor potentially have more hp and torque than a 2.2L OHC f.i. motor?

From talking to people it is not likely that a 505 GTI will be as powerful as a hotted up 2 litre.....I mean lets be realistic the 505 GTI is not really a very powerful car...infact I think they are fairly pedestrian in there performance !

Unlike a 405 Mi16....now thats a different story :D

Anyhow head_ban

Cheers!

Ben mallet

A std. GTi has similar power and torque to the V6. I didn't think it was that bad. Surely you could spin the STi/GTi motor higher, and thus make more hp? Unless there's something fundamentaly wrong with the engine design (like the 250cu/4.1L Falcon), there has to be more potential. I don't have any experience in either, so really don't know. Does anybody?

The STI 2.2 motor doesn't get going untill 3,500 RPM and then dies at 5,000. I competed in a rally in one and it felt like driving a standard 403 performance wise. Also, it used a lot more fuel than a V8 Mustang competing in the same event!
My wifes STI needed the Air Con to be turned off at the lights to avoid holding up traffic.
The Gti will rev a little higher but at the expense of bottom end torque. The general consensis is that they are a dud thing. The 2 litre version of this motor is probably better.
The push rod motor will rev to 7,000 and 8,000 is possible without too much trouble.
Alan Robertson did the head on my hot 403. This has only now needed to be replaced due to cracks. This engine has certainly opened a few eyes over the past 14 years or so.

Graham Wallis

Alan sure knows his stuff hotting up earlier Pugs !
He has had this car going before with the twin DCOE's he said it had BAGS of power....so I am assuming it will still have them :D

But the head going on is a highly modified 404 head that Alan designed and build some years back...should be sweet head_ban

Anyhow

Cheers Ben

Im afraid all this talk is way out of my league. blush Id love to have a ride in this 505 when It is finally finished. It would go like a rocket I would think. Maybe one day.... dance