Help - I just bought an R25!

Part 3 - R25 Hesitation Fix

WIRING DIAGRAM

OK, well I can't seem to get this to work. If anyone knows how to paste a picture created in MS Word here, please let me know. Other than that, post your email here and I will send you the diagram.

Skip.

<small>[ 29 June 2002, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Skippy ]</small>

Well, its official. I'm bloody impressed. I only wish I'd known about this when the temp sensor on my girlfriend R21 went. It cost $120 for a new one, and this (in hindsight) very obvious and devious fix would have done it, effectivly creating an adjustable temp sensor. I get the feeling that these sensor just start getting inaccurate over time, but continue to function. Every thing would be fine when it gives a dead accurate redaing (due no doubt to the lean settings you mentioned), but as soon as it goes out a bit, it throws evrything off. To all those out there who have been dignosed with a dud temp sensor, whether it is hesitating or just running rough when cold, try this! Thanks Skippy.

Well done guys.
This is a common fix to a problem confronting the ECU.

I did the same thing but used a fixed value of resitance, found thru experimentation.
However, have any of you out there figured out a way to test Air/Fuel ratio that results (other than going on a dyno)?

In the unleaded versions of the 25 you can disconnect the lambda sensor and run a new separate circuit for short periods that gives you A/F ratios, but what about the leaded versions of the 25? There's no place to put an oxygen sensor. Running them too rich is some times just as bad.

There used to be a gizmo called Colourtune or something like that that used a basic spark plug that had a glass insert. You could see the colour of the combustion chamber spark and from that determine if it was running lean or rich.

Any ideas?

I would suggest using an exhaust gas analyser found in most tuning workshops to set mixture. This ensures that one doesnt drive a stinky car about (I work for the EPA - I will track you down!! just kidding, but I am EPA. Emissions are something everyone should be concerned about).

I have also just found in a Jaycar catalogue, a little critter that simply connects to the O2 sensor, and gives a mixture reading from the same data the sensor sends to the ECU regarding the mixture. Gives a readout on little led's and costs about $20. Sorry to all leaded engine owners.