For the Dauphine fans...

yeah John, saw 'Detroit' on the door of the recovery truck. this happened at an intersection and my take is that the driver of the transporter had to brake hard for some reason - wouldn't be surprised if the tie down systems were nothing other than a few light chains?

Yes, looks like a crash stop accident! :) Regardless, it is a great photo. They are light cars, so I'd guess no tie down at all - I reckon you could hold one on with nothing more than sash cord! I saw the US spec over-ride tubes above the bumpers.

I seem to recall that happening here in Adelaide where a Magna or 380 went over the front of the transporter just like this, except it was still at the factory and happened during loading. Big oops!

great looking engine

when you see this car in race trim with metallic paint and neat flares then finding the original motor is a real surprise. first i saw the R12 Weber carby and its air-filter. i feared the worst but soon i could see the head is Dauphine. the fuel pump and manifolds it is really almost real apart from those minor alterations its the genuine article. well it is a breath of fresh air to see a restored authentic engine which were perfectly suited to the car. when many 4CV and Dauphine have been hacked to add later running gear to go faster.. in my own experience driving a stock Renault is a privilege because they have worthwhile design features. i drove 4CV with 16TS and a Dauphine with the R16 alternator stuck up through the rear window parcel shelf. then to drive a stock 750 with skinny 16" Michelins is totally different the car is nimble and agile in a good way. Dauphine is large compared to a 750 and has overhang at the front still it is a nimble Renault with improved suspension. common upgrade is to R10 but the axle only fits when you chop the body shell off at the top of the spring towers. clearly those type of upgrades cause a void in the car's own integrity.

Very few original engines in 4CV's, Floride, or even 8 and 10's. Bit of a shame really says I with my 4CV with 850 liners and Dauphine G box. my 10 has a 12 motor. A 12 with a 17G engine. I still like to see some kept original. I only did the 12 the others were done when I bought them. PH has an original Dauphine and it goes like stink for such an original small 850 cc engine and 3 speed gearbox. Mind you the driver has got a lot to do with how fast any car can go on a given bit of road.

Very few original engines in 4CV's, Floride, or even 8 and 10's. Bit of a shame really says I with my 4CV with 850 liners and Dauphine G box. my 10 has a 12 motor. A 12 with a 17G engine. I still like to see some kept original. I only did the 12 the others were done when I bought them. PH has an original Dauphine and it goes like stink for such an original small 850 cc engine and 3 speed gearbox. Mind you the driver has got a lot to do with how fast any car can go on a given bit of road.

I remember a long time ago when we had the workshop we had about 6 R12's all parked in a row and every one was a 1.6.

Agree Standard Renault's are boring.

I remember regularly driving my parent's Dauphine Gordini three up between Sydney & Picton over the Razorback mountain in the 60s & being amazed by it's performance, ride & handling. Incredibly economical too ! Their first French car after a lifetime of Ford V8s the last being totally reliable & comfortable 50 Ford Pilot.

Richard

If I recall correctly, a Dauphine Gordini is a bit faster than a 956cc R8. Mind you, the R8 is more modern, has better suspension and those brakes..... I'm not sure the early R8s were more reliable though, given gearbox barely up to it and those early Sierra blocks....

If I was in the market for a restorer Dauphine I would certainly be interested. If they haven't spent any time on Kerang roads that can be salty they should be free of major rust. Note: one is a rare Ferlec model. It is possible to make Ferlecs work if you don't have to pay someone to do the work for you. ( If you could even find a professional that would be interested enough that is.)

Here's one very blinged up optioned to the hilt Dauph! Noice [emoji12]

7642f550f86bc5aa123822cf4fd77317.jpeg

I haven't seen a Dauphine convertible like this before but it appears to be done the way the 4CV cabriolet was done.
Black and chrome. Very nice. Shame about the roof as it looks odd or was it done for the Pope?