Floride Caravelle info

Now we just need for the price of Fregates to go through the roof and that's when I clean up..🤗
You have rarity value to beat most models of any brand! Even my 4CV can't match that, rare as December 1950 examples are. When you see the silly money out there for some Australian V8s, you can take heart.

Hi Everyone.
Have you seen the Caravelle for sale on Carsales. Asking 69,990.00.
Looking forward to the comments on what is not original, but beautiful looking car and will go with that engine.
Makes all our Florides and Caravelles double in value if they get the asking price.
It's a good one, mind you.

No john, haven't really tried since before the Barrosa muster. Actually I like driving the car. Its best of all my cars with the hood down. Just need to clear another space in my shed and the $ wouldn't hurt either. Son has finally agreed I can sell the 10 and I rarely drive it.

No john, haven't really tried since before the Barrosa muster. Actually I like driving the car. Its best of all my cars with the hood down. Just need to clear another space in my shed and the $ wouldn't hurt either. Son has finally agreed I can sell the 10 and I rarely drive it.
If I were in your shoes, the R10 would go first. It's a nice one but the Floride S is special! We are celebrating 50 years of R8 ownership at this end. :) Hard to believe.

Hi Everyone.
Have you seen the Caravelle for sale on Carsales. Asking 69,990.00.
Looking forward to the comments on what is not original, but beautiful looking car and will go with that engine.
Makes all our Florides and Caravelles double in value if they get the asking price.
Well, asking may be $70K but I don’t think it’ll sell any where near that. We had covid prices but things have dropped below pre covid prices now. And, not much of it seems original.

Hi Everyone
Watch the Modern Miss Fisher show on Seven Two next Thursday night and look for the Renault in the background.
Should be the one about a pet show.

Well, asking may be $70K but I don’t think it’ll sell any where near that. We had covid prices but things have dropped below pre covid prices now. And, not much of it seems original.
Well you may be all happy to know the Caravelle has been sold albeit not for the original asking price but one that I'm happy with. As a consequence I have a large amount of Caravelle parts to sell : later type hardtop, painted, new headlining (not fitted ), rechromed catches and repolished stainless window trims $1500. 4x calipers restored (2x front, 2x rear) $350. Steering wheel, mint $500. Radio delete 'Caravelle' plate $150. Plus a vast amount of Caravelle related parts , mainly restored, clips, brackets , lights , badges. Heater asssembly $150. A Caravelle restore will find so many hard to get parts here.

Well you may be all happy to know the Caravelle has been sold albeit not for the original asking price but one that I'm happy with. As a consequence I have a large amount of Caravelle parts to sell : later type hardtop, painted, new headlining (not fitted ), rechromed catches and repolished stainless window trims $1500. 4x calipers restored (2x front, 2x rear) $350. Steering wheel, mint $500. Radio delete 'Caravelle' plate $150. Plus a vast amount of Caravelle related parts , mainly restored, clips, brackets , lights , badges. Heater asssembly $150. A Caravelle restore will find so many hard to get parts here.
Well done Chris. I've passed this information on to a local Caravelle owner immediately!!

Well you may be all happy to know the Caravelle has been sold albeit not for the original asking price but one that I'm happy with. As a consequence I have a large amount of Caravelle parts to sell : later type hardtop, painted, new headlining (not fitted ), rechromed catches and repolished stainless window trims $1500. 4x calipers restored (2x front, 2x rear) $350. Steering wheel, mint $500. Radio delete 'Caravelle' plate $150. Plus a vast amount of Caravelle related parts , mainly restored, clips, brackets , lights , badges. Heater asssembly $150. A Caravelle restore will find so many hard to get parts
Well done Chris. I've passed this information on to a local Caravelle owner immediately!!
OK my caravelle definitely needs some parts since a bunch of parts for it were pinched!

I'll private message you. badge trim, and a dash are desperately needed.

Well, asking may be $70K but I don’t think it’ll sell any where near that. We had covid prices but things have dropped below pre covid prices now. And, n

ot much of it seems original.

What do you mean "not much of it seems original" , the hardtop has been supplanted with the better looking earlier version with the original restored type also available (up to the purchaser to decide), the upholstery has been done in the best grain leather available, so whilst you may prefer vinyl, I opted for a more classic , better looking and comfortable finish. The car has been repowered with an 1100cc Gordini engine and suspension that was originally done in 1980, so I've merely improved what had already been done. Clearly you don't appreciate my restoration work, however I am comfortable with the accolades and awards the car has received since its restoration was finished. The new owner is ecstatic with the car , as I was each time I drove it . I will put this car up against any other Caravelle in the country , yours included if you own one.

What do you mean "not much of it seems original" , the hardtop has been supplanted with the better looking earlier version with the original restored type also available (up to the purchaser to decide), the upholstery has been done in the best grain leather available, so whilst you may prefer vinyl, I opted for a more classic , better looking and comfortable finish. The car has been repowered with an 1100cc Gordini engine and suspension that was originally done in 1980, so I've merely improved what had already been done. Clearly you don't appreciate my restoration work, however I am comfortable with the accolades and awards the car has received since its restoration was finished. The new owner is ecstatic with the car , as I was each time I drove it . I will put this car up against any other Caravelle in the country , yours included if you own one.
Good to see it finally sold, and I did think it was your car as I’ve seen it in person years ago. Will you quote selling price so others have a more realistic guide well below the $70K first asked?
As I have seen your car before and the for sale photos supplied I did say not much of it seems original and you even mention half a dozen things yourself above.
I did not say I didn’t appreciate your restoration work and far from it, I can appreciate any time someone puts their time and money into any old car.
Was your restoration to my liking as it wasn’t original or had to many unoriginal bits to it? Did I go and list all the parts that weren’t original or didn’t like about it?Well, my opinion and has no relevance to any awards or accolades it may have received and I did not go and bag your car and say it’s shite, and if we’d put your Caravelle against any of my shite Floride’s, yes, it should win, but then I have heard of all original cars in aus that yours couldn’t compete with.
Really, all I said was that I didn’t think it would sell for $70K and I think time has proved me correct. We could go on and debate whether your car would of been worth more money if all original but we could also debate that an unoriginal car is worth more in Australia than in Europe.

On a side note as I do have your phone number but can’t recall from all those years ago why exactly but, have you ever bought parts off me? And if so, was there any of my bits on that car?

Good to see it finally sold, and I did think it was your car as I’ve seen it in person years ago. Will you quote selling price so others have a more realistic guide well below the $70K first asked?
As I have seen your car before and the for sale photos supplied I did say not much of it seems original and you even mention half a dozen things yourself above.
I did not say I didn’t appreciate your restoration work and far from it, I can appreciate any time someone puts their time and money into any old car.
Was your restoration to my liking as it wasn’t original or had to many unoriginal bits to it? Did I go and list all the parts that weren’t original or didn’t like about it?Well, my opinion and has no relevance to any awards or accolades it may have received and I did not go and bag your car and say it’s shite, and if we’d put your Caravelle against any of my shite Floride’s, yes, it should win, but then I have heard of all original cars in aus that yours couldn’t compete with.
Really, all I said was that I didn’t think it would sell for $70K and I think time has proved me correct. We could go on and debate whether your car would of been worth more money if all original but we could also debate that an unoriginal car is worth more in Australia than in Europe.

On a side note as I do have your phone number but can’t recall from all those years ago why exactly but, have you ever bought parts off me? And if so, was there any of my bits on that car?
No , I won't quote the selling price , if only because people such as you like to promote themselves as some sort of oracle on the value of cars and therefore like the "I told you so " attitude if whatever they were appraising is different to the vendors original expectations. If you are so knowledgeable with car values perhaps you should contact Red Book and offer your services, I'm sure their response would tell you where you stand.You keep referring to" unoriginal bits " , as I've documented any changes I've made are in keeping with previous owners and are reversible if anyone so wished.
I sincerely hope that there are NO bits from you on the Caravelle, and bear in mind Oscar Wilde's statement "A cynic is a person that knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

No , I won't quote the selling price , if only because people such as you like to promote themselves as some sort of oracle on the value of cars and therefore like the "I told you so " attitude if whatever they were appraising is different to the vendors original expectations. If you are so knowledgeable with car values perhaps you should contact Red Book and offer your services, I'm sure their response would tell you where you stand.You keep referring to" unoriginal bits " , as I've documented any changes I've made are in keeping with previous owners and are reversible if anyone so wished.
I sincerely hope that there are NO bits from you on the Caravelle, and bear in mind Oscar Wilde's statement "A cynic is a person that knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"
Wow, I promote myself as an oracle on the value of cars.
What did I post?
“Well, asking may be $70K but I don’t think it’ll sell any where near that. We had covid prices but things have dropped below pre covid prices now. And, not much of it seems original.”
Not that I knew, but I thought. And my reasoning was that the covid highs had dropped below pre covid prices.
Yes your vehicle was in an unoriginal state, you cannot deny that. Does it make it worth more, possibly in Australia but in Europe which is only my opinion

Wow, I promote myself as an oracle on the value of cars.
What did I post?
“Well, asking may be $70K but I don’t think it’ll sell any where near that. We had covid prices but things have dropped below pre covid prices now. And, not much of it seems original.”
Not that I knew, but I thought. And my reasoning was that the covid highs had dropped below pre covid prices.
Yes your vehicle was in an unoriginal state, you cannot deny that. Does it make it worth more, possibly in Australia but in Europe which is only my opinion
Who on earth cares what cars are worth in Europe if selling in the Australian market. Covid has been and gone, get over it. I'll leave you to continue valueing other's cars just don't bother me.

Who on earth cares what cars are worth in Europe if selling in the Australian market. Covid has been and gone, get over it. I'll leave you to continue valueing other's cars just don't bother me.
You really must be cheesed off for not getting the $70K you were thinking you may get and must of only got half that or if I was to actually put a value on it at about $30K-$35K and want to take it out on someone on a forum who said that they didn’t think you’d get anywhere near the $70K and not much of it seemed original.
Or, I’m thinking perhaps you spent more on it than you sold it for and the Mrs is busting them for that so you wanna take that out on someone who didn’t bag your car but hinted that the price may be a little high in the first place and it’s their fault you didn’t get what you were hoping for, just saying.

• Haha
Reactions: IWS
Interesting discussion about the value of classic Renaults, although a little salty recently. I remember seeing the silver Floride arrive at the Sydney French car day a couple of years ago. I think it had just been finished. I also clearly remember it was immaculate in its presentation and workmanship although there are some improvements, perhaps non-original, but they put it well above a standard restoration. I was standing with a group of about 8 people who had cars on display including a few contenders for best car. We were all stunned and speechless when it drove closer, then someone said, "He wins" we all nodded, and nobody disagreed. After the “pub test” the official inspection by the real judges awarded it best car. Maybe not the most original but it was the best car at the Sydney event that year.

As to what it’s worth, I say close to $100K, maybe more. You can get an old HQ Holden, spend stuff all on non-original and some original parts to turn it into a “Monaro tribute” and sell it for around $200 K. How do you value old cars, perceptions, feelings, facts, engineering, popularity? A good mate of mine with part of his collection in the US owned a mostly original 917 K Porsche, was about to put on the market for around $9.8 Mill based on comparable sales at the time. It was “devalued” when Jerry Seinfield sold his mostly original 917K for around $5 mill. The perception of the value suddenly changed, nothing wrong with the car, just perception.

Renault people seem to love talking down the value of classic Renaults. My Porsche buddies have no problem with crappy old Porsche 356’s from the late 1950’S getting way over $500K. That silver Floride powered by a Gordini engine has all the style and performance to justify an expectation of over $70k. To put that in perspective, a set of non-original reproduction wheels for a late 1950’s gull winged Mercedes will cost the restorer around $80,000. The market has proven that the OEM spec non original wheels will not devalue the Merc.

Just my :2cents: worth, I am sure there will be some replies to talk down the value of classic Renaults, however I will be too busy with my various projects to engage in that discussion.