Fitting air horns to a D Special

You make me blush, Chris. There are others here who know this stuff, I just happen to be the loudest mouth.
:blush:

BTW, you may have a loud mouth but at least you're using it, so thank you again.

Matthew :)

The mauve sleeves fade particularly badly. Buy some nail polish or paint of some sort and paint it to help you in future.
The large tag on the yellow wire is secured to the bracket with a mounting bolt.
I was going to mention that you seemed to be missing the supply wire from the battery, but you've now worked that out. Any bit of wire will do, but I have an original factory wire as a leftover if you feel the need to use it.
There's a good chance that something has lodged itself inside the horn, so give it a really good clean out before condemning the diaphragm. It may be something touching it and making it sound like it's broken. I think I have a spare horn end if it needs replacement.

had to use the horns tonight on my xm when some dill tried to do a u-turn with out looking,
i don"t think that driver will ever not check the mirrors or turn their head fore i have the two stage air horns from my old cx
installed, instant stop from the idiot,reaction was like a semi was bearing down and they were history.

had to use the horns tonight on my xm when some dill tried to do a u-turn with out looking,
i don"t think that driver will ever not check the mirrors or turn their head fore i have the two stage air horns from my old cx
installed, instant stop from the idiot,reaction was like a semi was bearing down and they were history.

Reminds me that I must get around to fitting better horns to Mrs UFO's C4. Even a spare BX horn I have here would supplement the meagre squeak of the C4 horn. Fortunately the C5's horn is much more "French".

You want a pair of Windtones before even thinking of air horns. Or I have a chromed Klaxon from a c1932 Chev.

Y'all are thinking small. You need a set of locomotive horns, like those I spotted on a late Mercedes S Class. The trumpets are large enough that they had to be mounted under the car to the rear, and the trumpet bells cut to give road clearance. The compressor, reserve tank and necessary power filled ~1/2 the trunk. When those let loose, you knew it.

I should mention this car also had 5 foot wide set of bull horns (not sure what breed) mounted in place of the hood star.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AKA the Mrs UFO method - of the past.

It's the "everyones method" .... saves the frantic "which side, which side, which side" .... while the panic'd brain tries to remember which side has the horns, and which is the headlight flashers....... So you just frantically push both sides down and all is ok (as long as it doesn't blow fuses from all that load at once ................... It is a CX after all :roflmao: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

This forum gave me another TASK and bought this one:
12V 110nu llC ARTru ckAu toAntiq ueVinta geO LDSty leC OWHo rnLo udAhoo ga OO GA | eBay

I ordered relay but I am thinking I can run directly from battery with push button switch.
What do you think?

Yah, I think you can do that. That's probably about a 5-7A momentary load, so your switch requirements aren't very high at all. Personal preference would be use the switch on the ground side of the motor. However you hook it up, use a fuse. 10A should cover it.

Yah, I think you can do that. That's probably about a 5-7A momentary load, so your switch requirements aren't very high at all. Personal preference would be use the switch on the ground side of the motor. However you hook it up, use a fuse. 10A should cover it.

Thanks for your advice.

OK peeps, update time.

Having received a donation wire from David :worship:for the positive connection I hooked up the compressor to check if it worked today. A few tugs on the horn lever and I got a click click click! then a loud grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I plugged the trumpets in but no sound, just the wurrrr of the compressor.

So how do I know if it's blowing my trumpets or just making a lot of noise? HRE mentioned the trumpets are adjustable... should I be able to make them sound by just blowing into the tube? OMG.... this sentence..:rolleyes: My reasoning being if I know the trumpets are OK then I'll know if the comp. is doing its job or not.

thanks

Ok.. compressor checks out. I've got the long trumpet blaarrping away happily after a little adjustment but can't get a rise out of the short one. Actually David, the end piece you very kindly sent is the one working at the moment. The cracked one I have sounds like a loud rasberry and the other one a high pitched asthmatic whistle. Actually I can get a good note out of the working trumpet with just my lungs.

Do I assume they are both f)$&)&? :confused:

Ok.. compressor checks out. I've got the long trumpet blaarrping away happily after a little adjustment but can't get a rise out of the short one. Actually David, the end piece you very kindly sent is the one working at the moment. The cracked one I have sounds like a loud rasberry and the other one a high pitched asthmatic whistle. Actually I can get a good note out of the working trumpet with just my lungs.

Do I assume they are both f)$&)&? :confused:

I have found getting a rise out of my short one a problem too. May have something to do with age.:disappr:

The trumpets screw in until they are almost touching the diaphragm. At this point the pulses from the compressor should induce a resonance that is then amplified by the trumpet. If you screw the trumpets in too far it is possible to damage the diaphragm. If this is the case you will have hell's own job to get the horn working!

Yes once you've screwed in too hard on the diaphragm and you've damaged it, you probably should cease any activity regarding getting your horn working.

Captain, engineering reports full power has been restored..

md3eiTr.png

Thanks to Richo, I have a new mauve sleeve on the faded wire, thanks to David we have power and a working trumpet, and thanks to Chris, HRE, et al, it all bloody works! :cheers: I've had to use one new trumpet from a kit I had as backup. I used the original long trumpet as the tone is higher and hopefully closer to the original sound.

xU403xe.png

"BLLLLLLAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPP.... GET OUT OF THE WAY BITCH !!! " :drivin: