Fitting air horns to a D Special

Yes it is an ambulance technically.

But, you know me, I never shy away from controversy. So I'd like to add that it is not a normal "ambulance".

French DS ambulances in France were always white with frosted windows at the back.

This is actually a rescue vehicle from the Sapeur-Pompiers (Fire Rescue) as you can see I'm sure by the colour of the car. But, hey, yes it is an ambulance........but from the Fire Service.

Okay, now I just wait for the bombardment.:D

Yes it is an ambulance technically.

But, you know me, I never shy away from controversy. So I'd like to add that it is not a normal "ambulance".

French DS ambulances in France were always white with frosted windows at the back.

This is actually a rescue vehicle from the Sapeur-Pompiers (Fire Rescue) as you can see I'm sure by the colour of the car. But, hey, yes it is an ambulance........but from the Fire Service.

Okay, now I just wait for the bombardment.:D

As a Parisian I can tell you that you are 100% correct .

Just depends on your definition of an ambulance. In this neck of the woods if you have an accident or a health crisis you call the pompiers who arrive in a red ambulance. If you feel crook and need to go to outpatients you call the SAMU who come in a white ambulance. There have been some demarcation disputes between the Pompier, SAMU and private ambulance services.The pompiers have red rescue vehicles and also red ambulances which are mobile resuscitation units, with paramedics and defibs etc. They are the favourite choice to save heart attack victims.
If you are ever in a road accident scene in France and there are injured, call the Pompiers not the ambulance services.

Last edited:
Regardless of which organisation's name tag is attached to it, it is still an ambulance.

A vehicle specially equipped for taking sick or injured people to and from the hospital, esp. in emergencies.

Now the next problem is how to fit some to my C5...where will not be a difficulty as there is plenty of space in front of the radiator..but does a C5 react strangely via its multiplexing to another horn being installed in the circuit. The C5 is quite miserable in the horn department...a weak kneed tweet, nothing like the full blooded wail of a DS ( which is almost as loud as a CX with all the fans on ).

Maybe a new thread re this might be a good idea. May attract attention from others who are also interested or have addressed the issue.

Now the next problem is how to fit some to my C5...where will not be a difficulty as there is plenty of space in front of the radiator..but does a C5 react strangely via its multiplexing to another horn being installed in the circuit. The C5 is quite miserable in the horn department...a weak kneed tweet, nothing like the full blooded wail of a DS ( which is almost as loud as a CX with all the fans on ).

Install the same as in a DS - activate the horn via an external relay drawing power for the horn's compressor directly from the battery via a fused dedicated wire. If the C5 has horn relay's already installed just pull power for the air horn's relay from there.

Steve

I have air horns on my Mehari, and I don't hesitate to use them. In fact, I just repaired the wiring with some tidbits that Hotrdelectric gave me. They are louder than loud. Not all DS/ID came with them, but I think they should be added whenever possible in this day and age.

If you need a bracket to mount your air horns, I have some around. They vary in shape IIRC, but they mount to the same spot on the RH frame rail. I could probably find it in my heart to post one down under if you need it. I bet you can mount any one of the inexpensive air horn kits from the parts store to it. I might even have some wiring to go with it.

And lastly, I think those ambulance pics should be in the DS appreciation thread because that thing is just flat cool.

WoooHooo
WoooHoooo
WoooHoooo

I have air horns on my Mehari, and I don't hesitate to use them. In fact, I just repaired the wiring with some tidbits that Hotrdelectric gave me. They are louder than loud. Not all DS/ID came with them, but I think they should be added whenever possible in this day and age.

If you need a bracket to mount your air horns, I have some around. They vary in shape IIRC, but they mount to the same spot on the RH frame rail. I could probably find it in my heart to post one down under if you need it. I bet you can mount any one of the inexpensive air horn kits from the parts store to it. I might even have some wiring to go with it.

And lastly, I think those ambulance pics should be in the DS appreciation thread because that thing is just flat cool.

WoooHooo
WoooHoooo
WoooHoooo

Thanks to the mighty power of Aussiefrogs I was able to obtain a bracket today, whilst also buying a new left side mirror for the CX. I have another little holiday project.

I took lots of pics today as well of an installed set on a DS23 that is undergoing an extensive restoration.

I will take pics as I undertake the installation on UFO. :headbang:

Soundbyteorban.:tongue:

Yeah give us a break! You'll get a sound bite, in fact you heard the horns in your garage a few months ago, although I'm not sure the little 12v compressor will do the same job as your workshop compressor!:headbang:

When I was a little kid at the garage, they had a Fiamm display set up on the counter and you could push a button and test fire the air horns. This was before 1970. We dang near wore that thing out on our own, and I was so thrilled to grow to a point where I myself could reach up and push the button rather than goading my big sister into doing it for me.

Then of course, came a brand new car fitted with air horns from the factory, and I forgot all about the display.

When we were closing the garage, one of the last things we found was that display holder. The trumpets and compressor had been robbed off it and it had gotten manky, so we binned it.

Well this afternoon I cleaned up the bracket and mounted the old style compressor (little black stubby thing) and connected the airhorns. Mrs UFO happened to be in the garage as I gave them a test blast. Boy did I get in trouble!

I have now worked out the wiring for the relay (not an original style one) and tomorrow I will install the lot in the car and connect them up. Perhaps I should go for an evening drive to spread some noisy Christmas cheer.

Photos tomorrow, and perhaps some YT vid.

Has anyone dared to suggest you stop blowing your own trumpet yet?