EP80 transaxle oil

You'd see the fine "gold" particles I'm sure. Have you checked with a good 10X or 20X hand lens?

After all this talk about Castrol VMX80 oil and its suitability for Renault transaxles.

Well today I decided to take a sample from my transaxle in my !976 Renault R12.

The oil has been in the transaxle for nearly 2 years and travelled 3600 Km.

I do motorkhanas in this car so it does not get an easy life.

There is some discolouration in the oil as can be seen on the attached pic but can't see any real evidence of any metal particles

The pic shows a sample from my transaxle and also a sample from the container that I filled the transaxle from.

I just bought some VMX80 and will change it today. Thanks for this very informative thread everyone!

I just bought some VMX80 and will change it today. Thanks for this very informative thread everyone!

Please have a super-close look at what comes out and let us know. What's in there at present?

Is there a source of 330 energiser springs? I had thought not but plausibly the R8/A110 market would warrant remanufacture.

Hi, what is an energiser spring? I've had this problem many times before because the first time I opened a gearbox, diff, starter etc nobody told me what the stuff is called. I have through the years placed names with parts only because it makes sense and is identifiable. Energiser spring is one of those things that I cannot match. It sounds as if it is that round piano wire spring that kicks the little shoes out that fits into the syncro rings.

If that is the case, why don't we make new ones from a thick piano wire? I would if it was worn down to a danger point.

Regards, Frans.

Hi, what is an energiser spring? I've had this problem many times before because the first time I opened a gearbox, diff, starter etc nobody told me what the stuff is called. I have through the years placed names with parts only because it makes sense and is identifiable. Energiser spring is one of those things that I cannot match. It sounds as if it is that round piano wire spring that kicks the little shoes out that fits into the syncro rings. If that is the case, why don't we make new ones from a thick piano wire? I would if it was worn down to a danger point. Regards, Frans.

That is the spring Frans. If piano wire has the right hardness and "springiness", why not I guess?

What oil was in it?

I can't remember and I didn't jot it down at the time. When it was time to fill it with gear oil, I went over to Doug the mechanic and asked if I could use his oils on a trolley. Ray recommended what it needed and so I asked Doug what has he got and so I filled it with what I was given. But it now has VMX80 and I noticed a positive difference straight away.
I did note that the drain plug being magnetic had about a finger tip of filings stuck to it. :eek:
I took the old oil to Doug for an opinion and he shone a light into the oil to show all the gold flecks. We talked about the requirements of the older gearboxes and API 4 & 5. I mentioned this thread/talk about G Oils. He agreed that the VMX80 is correct. I'll buy a little notebook and start to note the requirements and service schedule for my car.

The oil that I was running previously was Valvoline 75W80, but can't remember which one it was or what spec it was as I don't have any used oil containers laying around.

I ran it for years and never had a problems and can't remember any large amounts of metallic particles in the oil when I drained the transaxles.

You certainly notice if the oil comes out like dilute gold paint.....
Agree, it is not a subtle effect. Have seen it twice.

I remember once painting pretty pictures with the gearbox oil in the tray, much like coffee art.

The particles are very fine and stay suspended in the oil, oblivious to gravity in the short while.

Jo

Hi all, have come across this thread whilst researching what transmission oil to get for my new daily. The car is a R12 TS with a R17 1647cc engine with a mild cam fitted in the late 80s, I believe by Collier’s. As the car is now getting on and much more power going through the box than standard I don’t want to mess around with an inferior oil.
Castrol Classic EP seems to be out of stock everywhere I have looked online, not so keen on VMX as some have had success and others not. Am leaning towards Red Line Lightweight Shockproof or Red Line 75W90NS GL-5 ( yes it’s a GL-5 but the blurb says it is fine for synchros and meant for transaxles). As before Red Line don’t say anything about Lightweight Shockproof in synchro box’s.
What is everyone’s updated opinion on this much discussed topic.
Had to read the thread a few times to digest it all🤪

Hi all, have come across this thread whilst researching what transmission oil to get for my new daily. The car is a R12 TS with a R17 1647cc engine with a mild cam fitted in the late 80s, I believe by Collier’s. As the car is now getting on and much more power going through the box than standard I don’t want to mess around with an inferior oil.
Castrol Classic EP seems to be out of stock everywhere I have looked online, not so keen on VMX as some have had success and others not. Am leaning towards Red Line Lightweight Shockproof or Red Line 75W90NS GL-5 ( yes it’s a GL-5 but the blurb says it is fine for synchros and meant for transaxles). As before Red Line don’t say anything about Lightweight Shockproof in synchro box’s.
What is everyone’s updated opinion on this much discussed topic.
Had to read the thread a few times to digest it all🤪
This thread is two years old, if it helps I still have the VMX80 in the transaxle of my R17TL powered R12. The transaxle is still working fine.

This thread is two years old, if it helps I still have the VMX80 in the transaxle of my R17TL powered R12. The transaxle is still working fine.
Good to know, I have two litres of vmx80 in the shed and need to change out the old oil soon, although the gear change is still sweet I don’t know when it was last done, engine oil was due.

I've had the Redline Lightweight Shockproof in two transaxles for several years now. It seems fine. One of our folk uses it in a racing BMW gearbox and he reckons it is fine and has dropped the temperature quite a bit. That's why I tried it. I honestly wouldn't know whether it has made a difference but do know nothing has gone wrong!

Thanks JohnW, it’s Alan you are referring to right?
Have either you or COL seen anything in the oil when you have dropped the oil?