DS3 forged engine build - help

Finished yet!!, sorry didn't manage to drop in and check progress
Hey Dimi - I’ve been slack with updates! Build is not finished yet haha, but the engine is out and block has been sent away for machining. I should be up there towards the end of this week or next to check on progress, take pics, and see it being put back together. Not long now. Hoping to have the DS3 back by May. 👍

Hey Timbo, I hope you have your DS3 back on the road. Looking forward to your update :)

Hey Timbo, I hope you have your DS3 back on the road. Looking forward to your update :)
Hi X8R,

My DS3 isn't back on the road yet! We have had a few delays with the engineer and the block being stuck in a backlog. Should be getting an update from the engineer/BTuned this week. I'm very keen to get up there to grab photos/video while the engine is being put back together, and of course, when it hits the dyno which I will share. :)

Tim when do we get an update and some photos of this fantastic engine rebuild
Must be awesome when its finished

Tim when do we get an update and some photos of this fantastic engine rebuild
Must be awesome when its finished
Hey Dimi,

It’s taking a long time. Long story long - we’ve been held up with the block as it has been with the engineer for a couple of months. In that time they have had Covid, and the flu that’s been going around. The block needed a light hone, and the bottom of the bores modified to allow the bigger rods to pass. Good news though is that the block came back last week! Thank god - we’re moving again. Updates will be more regular now 👍. In the meantime, here is my DS3 minus the engine 😂

Attachments

• 3631F6FF-5AB9-4CCE-85DA-363547EFCDF0.jpeg
    3631F6FF-5AB9-4CCE-85DA-363547EFCDF0.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 122
  • AA36318F-E5AF-451E-9475-D71B5BE2F488.jpeg
    AA36318F-E5AF-451E-9475-D71B5BE2F488.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 125
Good to see they have taken the whole front end off. Easier installation.
Hopefully all the drama's are over with.

Tim, what size is your intercooler?

Tim, what size is your intercooler?

Hey Dimi! Sorry for the slow reply, my intercooler is from Pug1Off, and it’s one of the largest you can get I think. It fills the entire space behind the bumper. 57mm inlet/outlet.

Pic is from their website showing how much of the area it fills. As you can see, no room! Lol. They also have a list of other brands such as Forge etc, but they are smaller.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2022-07-19-at-8.48.40-pm.png
    Screen-Shot-2022-07-19-at-8.48.40-pm.png
    481.5 KB · Views: 109
Build update!

It's time to get this engine built :) I was up at Btuned on Monday and was taken through the plan. Love how chunky the new forged PEC H beam rods and Wossner pistons are compared to stock psa. All parts on the bench are for the build. There's more parts on trolleys, in containers, on the floor. LOL

Attachments

• crankandforgedrods.png
    crankandforgedrods.png
    423.4 KB · Views: 133
  • EngineMount.png
    EngineMount.png
    403.8 KB · Views: 136
  • HybridTurbo_TTS288.png
    HybridTurbo_TTS288.png
    433.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Stockpistons.png
    Stockpistons.png
    423.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Timing.png
    Timing.png
    422.3 KB · Views: 132
  • EngineOnABench.png
    EngineOnABench.png
    404.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Cams.png
    Cams.png
    415.9 KB · Views: 130
  • blick-2.png
    blick-2.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Block.png
    Block.png
    355.2 KB · Views: 129
Hey Dimi! Sorry for the slow reply, my intercooler is from Pug1Off, and it’s one of the largest you can get I think. It fills the entire space behind the bumper. 57mm inlet/outlet.

Pic is from their website showing how much of the area it fills. As you can see, no room! Lol. They also have a list of other brands such as Forge etc, but they are smaller.
Wow that is a huge IC indeedy

Build update!

It's time to get this engine built :) I was up at Btuned on Monday and was taken through the plan. Love how chunky the new forged PEC H beam rods and Wossner pistons are compared to stock psa. All parts on the bench are for the build. There's more parts on trolleys, in containers, on the floor. LOL
What size Turbo is this? Pistons and rods look awesome.
Did they recoat the bores, nitride? as the standard EP6 you can't do anything to bore them out once coating is damaged.

Well done getting this far

Did they recoat the bores, nitride? as the standard EP6 you can't do anything to bore them out once coating is damaged.

Hey Dimi,

Turbo is a full sized K04 with a completely new housing and bolts directly to the EP6 stock manifold. It’s a cousin of Turbo Technics S280 hybrid turbo which is very popular in the Fiesta ST tuning scene. This is an S288, specifically designed between Turbo Technics and Pug1Off. They used to use a different hybrid turbo but the torque dropped away too much so went back to the drawing board and developed this instead for a wide spread of power. Attached a pic of stock ep6 turbo compared to the new TT S288 hybrid.

Specs below (couldn’t find the actual size in mm of the inducer sorry)

Pug1Off / Turbo Technics Turbo:

All new K04 based bespoke performance turbocharger (no re-used parts)

• Large, high-flowing billet aluminium compressor wheel
  • Full-size K04 turbine wheel for excellent power/response balance
  • TT designed upgraded compressor housing
    • Bespoke casting design with larger volute/scroll
    • Larger internal aerodynamic design improves efficiency of large compressor wheel
    • “Anti-surge” ports for wider flow range
    • Removes restrictive inlet design of OE turbocharger
  • TT designed bespoke turbine housing, incorporating:
    • Increased volute/scroll size for higher maximum flow
    • Pulse converter technology to help low-end response
    • High-flowing internal waste gate design
  • K04-spec journal bearing system for increased durability/reliability
  • TT designed uprated 360° thrust bearing assembly, to handle increased thrust loading from higher boost
    • CHRA finely balanced to high specification, on Turbo Technics VSR
    • Turbine end based on standard turbocharger footprint for a drop-in/direct-fit upgrade with fitting kit

Attachments

• D00E2E7C-ECDF-47C8-9AAB-6F5B18A5B958.png
    D00E2E7C-ECDF-47C8-9AAB-6F5B18A5B958.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 92

As far as I know everything has been done to spec. There wasn’t any wear as the engine hadn’t done many km. Just needed surfaces cleaned up, a hone and the bottom of the bores modified for clearance due to those fat PEC rods haha

I'm sorry, but if you want serious engine builders to take you seriously you wouldn't be using Wossner pistons and PEC rods. They are amateur, entry level items. A decent piston would be JP, CP pistons etc., and Carrillo or better still, Australian made Argo rods.

I'm sorry, but if you want serious engine builders to take you seriously you wouldn't be using Wossner pistons and PEC rods. They are amateur, entry level items. A decent piston would be JP, CP pistons etc., and Carrillo or better still, Australian made Argo rods.
Peter, what’s your point? Are you really gonna come at me with some elitist brand waffle? 🤣🤣🤣 far out I’m not sure you actually appreciate what I had to go through just to get this project off the ground here in Australia. And they’re not entry level, they’re great quality and bloody expensive.

Peter has seen a wossner/pec rod punch a hole in the block of his race car, so he does have real world experience on the issue (maybe it triggered his response above which was a little uncharacteristic).

Reassuringly, while these (even if we call them cheaper) H beam rods are not as appropriate for high revving track cars they seem to have a decent reputation for lower revving turbocharged cars and seem to cope well with the high cylinder pressure of this sort of application. Just don't rev them to the moon constantly on a track car and you will probably be fine.

Peter has seen a wossner/pec rod punch a hole in the block of his race car, so he does have real world experience on the issue (maybe it triggered his response above which was a little uncharacteristic).

Reassuringly, while these (even if we call them cheaper) H beam rods are not as appropriate for high revving track cars they seem to have a decent reputation for lower revving turbocharged cars and seem to cope well with the high cylinder pressure of this sort of application. Just don't rev them to the moon constantly on a track car and you will probably be fine.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the context here and I can understand why that would be Peter's response. That's a very expensive issue to have had happen which I would not wish upon anyone and it sucks that that has been his experience. I'm not an engineer, nor a mechanic, just a very passionate motorsport enthusiast/rev head going off the advice of reputable performance shops in the UK and here in QLD. You're right though, I am not chasing high RPM. This isn't a TU build. Though how good would that be! Love the sound of them and how they just keep going.

I'm not intending to use my DS3 for burnouts in skid pans, or for constant limiter bouncing. I will be taking it to the track fairly regularly, though and to hill climbs. So I guess we will have to wait and see. The goal for my DS3 has always been to make it a very capable and quick street/track car that can use all its power and torque without too much compromise.

This build has been a marathon. In my journey trying to find a performance shop I have seen walls of EP6 engines from minis that have been decimated in performance applications over 450hp+ due to the incorrect tensioning of the torque to yield crank bolt, which resulted in timing chains being snapped. I've also seen the incorrect use of aftermarket tensioners that are not the genuine revised PSA tensioner resulting in timing slip. As afar as the turbo for this build, it's rated to 390hp - a figure i don't want because that would be downright ludicrous in a car that weighs so little, though the Brazilians and the Turks are building EP6's DS3's and 208 GTI's capable of this and more. Crazy.

By the way, I would like to be a passenger in your BX one day. Such a great car.

Build Update! The engine is back together and goes in this week. Looking clean :D

Not long now before we are on the dyno

Attachments

• EP6_300hp_1.png
    EP6_300hp_1.png
    849.8 KB · Views: 118
  • EP6_300hp_2.png
    EP6_300hp_2.png
    794.6 KB · Views: 120
  • EP6_300hp_3.png
    EP6_300hp_3.png
    786.6 KB · Views: 116
  • EP6_300hp_4.png
    EP6_300hp_4.png
    802.1 KB · Views: 121
never seen that style of top engine mount, not much movement in that design!!, will you be installing all new heatsheilds over manifold and exhaust or standard is up to scratch. I was wondering if there was a better designed valve cover as I see you have fitted the standard ebay unit, I have been using the same aftermarket model over 3 cars and only 1 failed at 3 months of low use (replaced under warranty) so will be interesting to see how it lasts in the performance spec EP6

cant wait to hear your results...then off the the track(y)