Citroen Ebay listings..

It may have shed the outer of the harmonic damper rather than snapping the belt. (Something to watch for if you own this model - mark it to see if the rubber is letting go) It's an early example, has done 270K, it's got some body damage and there is a reserve set for it, so the economics are probably rather suspect. However, you may get lucky and find it's just snapped a few of the rockers and the valves are OK.

Edit - Missed the bent piston bit??? = major work and you'd probably be better off with a used engine.

270K eh. I'd be very wary, even at $10. There are plenty of good secondhand cars around that don't need fixing. And the need for major item fixing can sometimes come from neglect (of everything) as well as from bad luck.

It may have shed the outer of the harmonic damper rather than snapping the belt. (Something to watch for if you own this model - mark it to see if the rubber is letting go) It's an early example, has done 270K, it's got some body damage and there is a reserve set for it, so the economics are probably rather suspect. However, you may get lucky and find it's just snapped a few of the rockers and the valves are OK.

Edit - Missed the bent piston bit??? = major work and you'd probably be better off with a used engine.

David, I enjoy the speculation in these type of threads (cars that are too rusty to inspect on a hoist etc, panel damge that makes a repair unviable ect.), also the knowledge that can be inadvertently imparted. It is the kind of discussion that we stopped by imposing a no-reply policy to our cars for sale forum. Here (in this thread) sellers are anonymous so fair game for good and bad press.

With the C5 (no I'm not interested in bidding), do you see a real posibility of damage to a piston before rockers or valves? Would I be correct in suggesting a snapped cam belt as the likely cause of it's woes?

To have reached 270K either the auto has been worked on or it is the lucky AL4

Cheers
Chris

Nothing like a bit of idle specluation about someone else's problem!

(Re the C5 a copuple of posts up ...)
In my limited experience, every cam belt failure I can recall has been because something else failed rather than the cam belt simply snapping. All of the failures I can recall have been due to water pump or tensioner failures or the auxiliary belt came loose first and made the cam belt skip a few teeth. All of these are more likely due to neglect or lack of awareness rather than being plain unlucky.

In this case, for $1,200 they've presumably changed more than just the timing belt and it didn't fix it. Sounds like it's pretty close to being a parts car though and the buyer will find more than they bargain for. You'd want to inspect it unless it sells for a silly low price. You will only know for sure if the piston, rod and/or crank are damaged by removing the head and checking the piston crown versus the deck height of the block. Since the bores are part of the block and the pistons are matched to the block, a damaged piston presents something of a problem!

...hmmm, I'm of the opinion that this information comes under the AF mantra of 'Sharing the knowledge'?

When our car had a failing crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer it started making quite a racket, I cut the belt asked a few questions here, had a poor attempt at fixing and again on advise given here put the car on a tow truck to our Citroen dealer and for good measure had the tensioners/ cam belt and water pump replaced at the same time.

This is surely what we are about, anyone reading this who is ignoring warnings can clearly see the outcome with this sellers misfortune? Sadly we won't have improved the value of this particular car with this discussion.

I am more the wiser for your input, let's hope it saves others the same heartache.

Cheers
Chris

That chap with the CX GTi Turbo really needs to have a look underneath...nine years can do a lot of damage - it's started to go on top so it'll most probably be going underneath too. :( Shame, as those S1 T1s are rare. :(

That chap with the CX GTi Turbo really needs to have a look underneath...nine years can do a lot of damage - it's started to go on top so it'll most probably be going underneath too. :( Shame, as those S1 T1s are rare. :(

Us Aussies just don't get that at all.... CX's don't rust out here "underneath" at all. If there rusty, it's on the top part for everyone to see :roflmao: That's why I always jump up and down saying "check it underneath" whenever a car not sold in Australia gets advertised out here. My imported CX was rusty where the two layers of metal meet under the front floors for example.

seeya,
Shane L.

I hear what you are saying, but if I had a known, reliable, way of inspecting and transporting from the UK, I would have placed a bid.

...lovely looking car too. Very nice indeed! :D

Us Aussies just don't get that at all.... CX's don't rust out here "underneath" at all. If there rusty, it's on the top part for everyone to see :roflmao: That's why I always jump up and down saying "check it underneath" whenever a car not sold in Australia gets advertised out here. My imported CX was rusty where the two layers of metal meet under the front floors for example.

seeya,
Shane L.
...they love to rust everywhere here in the UK - give 'em chance and the glass will rust too! :roflmao:
One of my favourite pictures that I've taken of rusty CXs is this one here. :eek:

Definitely not an Activa.

I posted the VIN into Citroen Service and it has responded that it is a XANTIA 5 DOOR SALOON 2.0 i 8v Turbo Manual gearbox 5. No hydraulic RAMS in the front anti-roll bar area either. So I have sent him a question as below. I will see if I get a response. I don't like the way the boot is sitting either - I reckon the roof is buckled.

Does this Xantia really have the Activa anti-roll suspension? When I feed the VIN number into Citroen Service, it says the type of car is a XANTIA 5 DOOR SALOON 2.0 i 8v Turbo Manual gearbox 5. Diagrams of the front suspension for this Series 1 Xantia do not have the hydraulic rams that a real Activa has.

Cheers,

Ken W

270K eh. I'd be very wary, even at $10. There are plenty of good secondhand cars around that don't need fixing. And the need for major item fixing can sometimes come from neglect (of everything) as well as from bad luck.

Well the C5 is now well beyond your $10.00 limit sitting at $610.00 with one hour to go (may not have met it's reserve).

More info suggests the transmission has been overhauled (one year ago), and that the car was driven to the mechanics.

Ebay Q and A said:
Q: Hello, Is this car currently registered? Can it be carefully driven, at all? Have C5hdi, and would love to save another from scrapping, so am actyually very interested. Thanks Jacki 26-Dec-10
A: the car is registered but i would have to sell it unregistered-its not driveable at the moment. before it was taken to the workshop it was going at max 40km-i believe there is no compression on 1 cylinder & i'm not clear if it starts or not now. the mechanic can't really say what's wrong with the engine till he opens it up. the car would have to be towed. it does have fairly new tyres & was, believe it or not recently serviced. the transmission was overhauled not too long ago. i recently damaged the left rear door in a carpark & it won't open now. there are also two dents to the rear left pillar. there is a minor electrical alert on the dash saying washer fluid is empty when it is in fact full. underneath the front bumper is cracked-tried plastic welding that but it didn't work & if you wanted a perfect car it would have to be replaced. the bumper also has stone-chip marks which could be painted over. i did love this car-lovely finishes inside & very comfortable.

Still, probably a parts car given David S's advice...

Cheers
Chris

...seems most of the cars I'm posting here are in Brisbane

How about a CX Safari Diesel?? $400.00 3 days to run and a stack of spares...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CITROEN-CX-2500D-REFLEX-/270685165095?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item3f0617d627

Cheers
Chris

I was thinking about posting this link but decided not to because I am after this car and don't want anybody else to know about it :) :)

I went to see this car couple of months ago. It certainly hasn't got rust, but welding the new front sounds like a tricky manouver to me. The diesel engine has got a broken inlet manifold, maybe the engine had tipped over when sitting on the concrete floor.
Needs a new windscreen, lights, indicators, bonnet and right side front guard at least. The rear left door (notice, a long wagon door and more difficult to find a replacement) was damaged when the car was on the wreckers yard.

I was thinking about posting this link but decided not to because I am after this car and don't want anybody else to know about it :) :)

Sorry kimmo, I'd be equally peeved if it were a car I was interested in :(

There are quite a few orphans appearing on Ebay, and cars like this one deserve to find a caring home rather than being scrapped. I thought about you and Andy N when I saw the ad, hope it does find an enthusiast to care for it.

Cheers
Chris

Don't worry Chris. That listing is for a connoiseours only and they probably know about it already.

Maybe it would be better if someone else got it...I dont think my dear wife would be too happy if another CX appears in the property.

Last edited:
I'm half tempted to get it myself and embellish my Familiale with the parts that are available. I've seen it, but it would be a job and a half just getting it home and finding a place for it, eventhough it's a suburb away.

I'm half tempted to get it myself and embellish my Familiale with the parts that are available. I've seen it, but it would be a job and a half just getting it home and finding a place for it, eventhough it's a suburb away.

The vendor will assist with relocating it anywhere in Brisbane... I've only seen the pics and his description which suggests it would be quite a project but is it really a parts only car?

I love them, but I'd only be allowed to bring home a late model going concern, and I'd still get a jolly good thrashing from my lovely wife :clown:

Cheers
Chris