Citroen C4 AL4 transmission problem

martinln

Tadpole
Hi everyone, I have recently bought a 2007 Auto C4 2.0 petrol with only 70,000km on the clock.
however, after 1 month of ownership, the trouble already started.
I can only drive in auto mode, the manual mode is no longer work, and the display on the console no longer show the gear position, only '--'!
when I use ELM327 with torque App to scan the car, it show error code 'U0404' and 'P0607', transmission range error.
Does anyone has similar problem, pls help... :cry:

This box gives a long life to some and a short life to too many others. The usual problem is lack of fluid changes, or the wrong fluid. If you wait someone with your fault will show up for help. Meanwhile, here are some pages from a Citroen technical document-
warnings.jpgwarnings2.jpg

Check the Peugeot Forum............................there's an AL4 gearbox problem thread with 110 replies. Might be something of interest there.

...after 1 month of ownership, the trouble already started
Don't you hate waiting!

It could have mis-adjustment of either the multicontact switch or the shuttle valve detent mechanism inside the gearbox front. Both are quite easy to sort.

Don't you hate waiting!

It could have mis-adjustment of either the multicontact switch or the shuttle valve detent mechanism inside the gearbox front. Both are quite easy to sort.

what is 'shuttle valve detent mechanism'? is it under the gear selector, next to the diver seat? any pic would be appreciate.

It's under the pressed metal cover on the face of the transmission, this piece is removed and refitted if the valve body is taken out (for example, when replacing faulty solenoids). There is a special tool prescribed to adjust it accurately, else one uses experience and a helper to get it set properly.

It's under the pressed metal cover on the face of the transmission, this piece is removed and refitted if the valve body is taken out (for example, when replacing faulty solenoids). There is a special tool prescribed to adjust it accurately, else one uses experience and a helper to get it set properly.

Thanks for the quick reply! but i don't have the tool or the experience.

anyone knows a good mechanic on sydney northern beaches near brookvale?

Jason Hantos in Hornsby Heights is your man. 0407 281 269

AL4 problems !

:)Hi Martinin
Sorry to hear about your problems. However do not panic just yet. The car is probably still drivable while you get something sorted.

Firstly the codes. The codes are generic numbers but probably mean something specific for this PSA
transmission. If you Google them you will probably get some generic answers that may apply to other brands of USA transmissions that sound bad but really are not so bad for yours :rolleyes: As has been said it is most likely that the two pressure control valves need changing to the later type as this is a common fault. A scan with a Citroen/peugeot scan tool will tell you the correct faults. The other generic tools do not give correct answers to the scans in these cars. :rolleyes:

A test of the valves is this. If you start up and it drives OK for a while then goes thump, perhaps, and goes into fault mode. The service light comes on and the transmission stays in third and will not go into manual mode. Stop when you can and turn the ignition off for moment. Then restart. It should start normally and drive normally perhaps for a while, perhaps till you get home !! This is probably the valves. You can continue to do a restart and keep going till you sort it for quite a while IMHO and not cause any damage if it only does it occasionally.:clown:

The valves are available outside the Dealers and any good auto transmission place may be able to change them. Just make sure they use a correct fluid in it. A synthetic fluid of universal coverage that actually list these transmissions as suitable would be my choice. The original PSA recommendation has not proved to be superior in helping the life of them. It has however helped the financial return to the dealers that sell it at inflated prices. :eek:

In the future do a change of fluid ever 20000-30 ks or so to preserve the life of the rest of the transmission. The software is recommended to be upgraded to the latest version after fitting the latest valves. A dealer is needed for this. :nownow: However it may already have this.
Cheers jaahn

:)Hi Martinin
Sorry to hear about your problems. However do not panic just yet. The car is probably still drivable while you get something sorted.

Firstly the codes. The codes are generic numbers but probably mean something specific for this PSA
transmission. If you Google them you will probably get some generic answers that may apply to other brands of USA transmissions that sound bad but really are not so bad for yours :rolleyes: As has been said it is most likely that the two pressure control valves need changing to the later type as this is a common fault. A scan with a Citroen/peugeot scan tool will tell you the correct faults. The other generic tools do not give correct answers to the scans in these cars. :rolleyes:

A test of the valves is this. If you start up and it drives OK for a while then goes thump, perhaps, and goes into fault mode. The service light comes on and the transmission stays in third and will not go into manual mode. Stop when you can and turn the ignition off for moment. Then restart. It should start normally and drive normally perhaps for a while, perhaps till you get home !! This is probably the valves. You can continue to do a restart and keep going till you sort it for quite a while IMHO and not cause any damage if it only does it occasionally.:clown:

The valves are available outside the Dealers and any good auto transmission place may be able to change them. Just make sure they use a correct fluid in it. A synthetic fluid of universal coverage that actually list these transmissions as suitable would be my choice. The original PSA recommendation has not proved to be superior in helping the life of them. It has however helped the financial return to the dealers that sell it at inflated prices. :eek:

In the future do a change of fluid ever 20000-30 ks or so to preserve the life of the rest of the transmission. The software is recommended to be upgraded to the latest version after fitting the latest valves. A dealer is needed for this. :nownow: However it may already have this.
Cheers jaahn

where can get these non-dealer fluid? Repco? any part #

yes, the car is still drive ok, but i don't know what gear it is in because it is not on the display any more.

I do feel gear shift though.. strange?

The Citroen spec for the AL4 box is CITROËN 97.36.22. The box also appears in Renaults with a different case. The fluid is reputedly Mobil ATF LT 71141, which is becoming hard to find. Owners of several Euro makes are looking for it. See Imperial Oil & Chemical Automotive. It isn't cheap.

where can get these non-dealer fluid? Repco? any part #

yes, the car is still drive ok, but i don't know what gear it is in because it is not on the display any more.

I do feel gear shift though.. strange?

Hi martinln :)
It is hard to do remote diagnoses !! The limp mode in third actually uses the lockup clutch and you can hear that. It would be wise to get a Lexia etc on to it. Perhaps someone near you might help out :cool:

Some other information on valves and fluids.:rolleyes: Note that these are just my recommendation instead of being robbed by the stealers or that other referenced supplier (from seasink). I actually brought a 20ltr drum of the Mobil ATF LT 71141 several years ago but have used most of it. It is not available from the local agents any more. I also believe these modern synthetic fluids are superior to the very ordinary Citroen fluid anyway. I used the Penrite fluid in my VW which has another variation of this transmission.:clown:

The valves. Just one advertisment I found on Ebay au. There are cheaper ones probably, direct from the UK or China ? Two for that price and all genuine. Google the part number.
Citroen C3 C4 C5 C8 ZX Xantia Xsara AL4 Automatic Gearbox Electro Valve 257416 | eBay

Penrite oil
Penrite Australia - NetLube

Nulon oil
Nulon Australia - NetLube
Full Synthetic Multi Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid- Nulon Australia

Mobil oil
Mobil 1? Synthetic ATF - Australia | Mobil? Asia Pacific

Or just look further at Supercheep, Repco Auto One or ? for other quality synthetic ATF brands.
cheers jaahn:approve:

Hi Guys,

just finished doing the AL4 valves on my 2003 C5 Citroen and I purchased the valves from here (same part number for both valves) and they also sell the pan gasket for your sump. I also used the Penrite oil in my transmission shown here. Shipping time was around the 8 day mark from the UK but we had another vehicle to use in the mean time. Paid with Paypal so I new i could get a refund if nothing showed up.

Regards

Danny

P0607 ECU internal fault : Not characterised
U0404 Communication with the gearbox ECU : Value received incorrect
Maybe a wiring or switch issue, possibly the multi-function / position switch?

Changing the oil requires a procedure to check the fluid level. It's not hard, but you need to follow it and get under the car when it's hot. Without tools, forget doing anything yourself and send it to someone who knows about the AL4 gearbox. It's also known as a DPO in the Renault world, hence a Renault mechanics may be able to help. If it's slipping and going to 3rd (it's way of protecting itself) and you just keep on driving it, don't be too surprised if you need a rebuild.

P0607 ECU internal fault : Not characterised
U0404 Communication with the gearbox ECU : Value received incorrect
Maybe a wiring or switch issue, possibly the multi-function / position switch?

Changing the oil requires a procedure to check the fluid level. It's not hard, but you need to follow it and get under the car when it's hot. Without tools, forget doing anything yourself and send it to someone who knows about the AL4 gearbox. It's also known as a DPO in the Renault world, hence a Renault mechanics may be able to help. If it's slipping and going to 3rd (it's way of protecting itself) and you just keep on driving it, don't be too surprised if you need a rebuild.

I think there may be something wrong with the wiring or switch, not the valve. There is NO flashing of 'sport' and 'snow' indicator.

It is not slipping or locked in 3rd gear, I can feel it is changing gear but it is not kickdown when press hard, it is just not responsive as before. Also, a strange noise, like a clicking sound - may be a relay or something, come under gear lever when I pressed the brake pedal!

Also, I just found out that if I put the car the in NEUTRAL and start the car, everything is back to normal!
The gear position is now shown on the display, no more fault message on the center console, everything is back to normal.
But as soon as I put it into 'Park', all the problems are back..

I have basic tool, just not the DEALer tools.

The clicking is just the solenoid that prevents you moving the car out of park without having your foot on the brake so nothing to be concerned about with that particular sound.

What happens sometimes, is if the solenoids have been changed, some people do not correctly adjust the detent inside the gearbox, preferring to "fudge" the work by adjusting the multicontact switch.

As a quick fix, the switch can be adjusted by loosening its two Torx securing screws and rotating ever so slightly. As a better fix, one is advised to have the shuttle valve and detent setup checked by someone with either the factory tools or good knowledge of the "cheat" (a helper pulling the gearstick back ever so slightly as the spring is locked down). Then, adjustment of the multi contact switch is a slight tweak only (or may not be required).