Christian's R10S

More progress, front suspension is in. Steering turns out to be just under 2 turns lock to lock. I've limited the travel so the brakes don't hit the body. I've sprayed the front calipers red because everyone knows red calipers make your car faster.

ebf31321b927ae567a5f72b0e0bddada.jpg

I've made the front brake lines, installed the MC. It'll have to come out again as I need to make adapers for the reservoir lines. The Li e to the proportioning valve and rears isn't done yet.

388e56b00ad7ed6012f5e1bb08cc0407.jpg

Engine bay has been painted. The rear end has been assembled as well, but you all know what they look like.

0a74d07f5445c07141fdc96c3b2264d1.jpg

Now to sort out some more plumbing before I put it on the ground and working on the bottom becomes more difficult.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using aussiefrogs mobile app

Been away so not a lot has happened, same old story.

Today I made a bracket to hold the master cylinder reservoirs, and here it is. I folded it out of aluminium, welded in a little gusset.

2ded31c8bfcd5ec2fe2669100c6b6957.jpg

47539f6f2c80b343378269d135b2c677.jpg

I have finally found a spot for the brake proportioning valve, under the dash on the passengers side. Should be sufficiently out of the way and is in a good spot for brake line routing. I'm not sure of the legality of having it in an easy to get at spot on a street car, thus the location. Made a quick bracket and welded it in.

ef5ddb36fa40908f2139cf9e35e3e8b9.jpg

Last edited:
Ben wasn't too concerned when I raised it with him.
More mods for me to copy - keep em coming!

Just in case you were wondering, the gear stick spherical bearing turret came from AliExpress, less then $30, part number PQY5392. I drilled out the M8 holes so it could be bolted from the top, welded a bolt plate on the underside of the floor.

AliExpress is a great source of small parts, the brake reservoirs cost $35 for two including shipping.

Almost time to pick a colour as I need to paint the inside. I like this but it screams pull me over to the cops. Also don't know if I can get away with no bumpers.

cfca5d4ad284295fee708aa2c1dcd80e.jpg

You probably can. When I was driving my 12 around without bumpers, cops's didn't blink.

I think they got carried away with R10's increasing the boot space etc. and are visually too long, so I think the "bumper delete" visually helps in that area :2cents:

Do I need to prove there was a bumperless version in Australia originally to get it passed by an engineer? Was the bumperless Alconi imported?

No, the Alconi version was never imported.

To answer your question, as an engineered car you'd need to refer to the relevant VSB for light vehicles section to determine which ADR's it needs to be compliant to; and what that specific section says re bumpers. Like everything on the internet, you will get 6 different answers and not all of them may be correct.

The R10 (and R8) Alconi's were never sold NEW as "bumperless". Acording to a Renault press release in the 60's, the R10 was designed to put more weight over the front wheels, thereby inducing understeer to better balance the heavy rear end, so in theory the R10 should be a better handling car than the R8.
There was no need to have a larger boot as the R8 boot was already larger than it's competitors, e.g. Anglia, VW beetle, BMC 1100, Fiat 1100, etc.

Henry

It turns out I can remove them as long go as there are no sharp edges or protrusions. I can weld up all the holes to make it look neater.

Did some small jobs, made the rest of the parts for the master cylinder. I took it apart and gave it a clean as it had been sitting around with the ports open. It's in the car now, with any luck I won't have to take it out again.

6be01cc6d763b998b4547c71cd6ddb29.jpg

Mounted a Clio wiper motor, two speeds with auto park, much better then the original and required as it's a modified vehicle. It even works.

3b7c8071197c5ab6d0cb28e1e808eba9.jpg

Could you record dimensions for the brake parts - adapters and pushrods before you put them back in please (if not too late).

Thanks
Kevin.

Could you record dimensions for the brake parts - adapters and pushrods before you put them back in please (if not too late).

Thanks
Kevin.

Will do, I have a drawing of the hose adaptors, the push rod was made up as I went, won't be an issue to draw it up as well. I thought you may have passed this point already as you are much further along then me. You have wheels on your car.

I may have a nose in front but you're chasing me down like Winx at present. I expect you'll be in front come the weekend!

c.lees, do you intend to use the falcon shrouds on the steering column?
If so, I'd be interested for you to post a drivers perspective of the dashboard to see if, and how much; the shroud interferes with the view of the gauges?

Kevin, I haven't got that far but I wasn't going to use them. I was either going to fabricate something or 3D print something or worst case cut/modify the Falcon ones. I'm not using the Falcon ignition key, mainly because it's ugly. Not sure if I'll be putting the ignition in the conventional place or somewhere else like on the dash yet.

Progress, I've put the rest of the suspension in and put it on the ground. Done a test fit of the engine, had to modify the body a little to clear the head. I also had to make a new lifting bracket as the stock one collided with the body.

No rear engine mount yet, so there is a jack under the engine holding it up.

Still sitting a bit high at the back. I was putting the engine in to compress the suspension enough to put the straps in.

81441855624f797d822c888d81fcb693.jpg
3350861cefef99591072297377f5612a.jpg

bbc9bf557a6b3101b95fbfb8692c9ae7.jpg

Looks good! How clean is that shell.

looks crazy good with those twin cams hanging up the top :headbang:

How are you going to mount it? just drill / weld into / onto the block near enough where the mounts should be?

Body is looking great. I do admire the amount of work going into it.

Thanks for keeping up the photos. Wow....