CAR CLUBS and the FUTURE

Sounds fun. I think also that combining a drive with tyre kicking would be good. But is there any decent drive that ends near Silverwater. Maybe we'd need to move the tyre kicking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't think of any decent drives that end at Silverwater or for that matter the Sydney metropolitan area, that do NOT have 80km/h speed limits.

Maybe we could move the Tyre Kicking to Putty? :banana:

Many years ago I remember people would block off Galston Gorge and use CB radios for timed runs through the gorge (and other safety reasons). Maybe not a good thing! :crazy:.

There was also the Hill Rd Homebush, Loftus Rd Yennora and Carter St Lidcombe drags! How about another "aussiefrog" DRAG night at Eastern creek?.

How about entering a Hill climb or two? You only have to drive as fast as you want to.

What/where are the decent drives?

What/where are the decent drives?
MonaVale to terry hills via bayveiw and then a few laps of the Akuna bay loop.

Only good at night when there are no trailer boats, cyclist or grandparents.

Jo

I've been having a ball on the bells line, particularly the run back up from sydney towards bell, dependent on traffic of course. :)

In an era where automation is normal and the introduction of self driving vehicles are just a wish away, I'm reminded of the difference in Car Club membership numbers between the 1960's and today. Back when automatic cars were driven by the rich and the rest of us made do with three or four manual gears there was some kind of recognition in the community that motorsport was good and it didn't much matter whether it was on paddocks, dirt roads or bitumen, people of all sexes and religious denominations got involved. I helped form a Car Club from scratch which grew to about 160-170 members in a distant east outpost of Melbourne (Dandenong) which became part of group of five clubs that regularly competed amongst themselves and of course in other events.

The enthusiasm finally started to wane when young motorists discovered the opposite sex and eventually had families. The conditions that allowed the formation of so many car clubs back then will never occur again. There are just far too many other tempting and (in a lot of cases) far cheaper thrills available other than motorsport to young people. They get their driving kicks on simulators where they can drive cars with horsepower we only dreamed about, can collide with each other or the shrubbery with no pecuniary or licence penalty, and go to work on Monday in their own undamaged car.

The fact that the Car Club core and average age is now heading towards over seventy is symptomatic of the problem. Basically us old farts just have to go pedal to the metal when we can to get our kicks in an ever more regulated and ridiculous nanny state society, or we get no kicks at all!

Better than a real drive through the burbs, thing of the past

I would suggest that very much depends on what your expectation of "driving" entails and your previous experience of driving cars.

A car simulator may suit the upwardly mobile and younger generation, who have little experience driving real cars.

However for a person who has a bit experience driving many and varied car it's likely to do squat to raise any adrenaline.

But products like these are all about promoting the vehicle, rather driving the vehicle.

I think I'd rather take a test drive. :wink2:

EDIT:
By the very fact that you have posted in two forums, clearly you are really into android apps.
I wonder if you take you phone to bed too? :D

Jest a few ideas

No more thoughts?

So what is it that aussiefroggers don't like about car clubs!

My guess many hate paying anything for what the car clubs offer..magazine, meetings with like minded mix of people, fear of being co-opted to help, then fears some clubs are infested with scungers and fellow travellers that only want your precious spare parts for nothing before they onsell them?

Some other possibilities.

Too lazy to organise events and make car runs fun ?

Super critical of those that do all the work, then wonder why clubs collapse?

Just getting too old to participate and put the work in to help?:nownow:

Conflicting interests that means one can't be in two places at the one time, so the obligation ones win out! :rolleyes:

And of course for those that might be internet socks and trolls, hard to turn up for anything in real time, lest their true self wins out..

Ken:)

And of course for those that might be internet socks and trolls, hard to turn up for anything in real time, lest their true self wins out..

I'd think one could check a few fellow froggers site activity times of day to determine how committed they to "sharing their knowledge" and the never ending pursuit of "socks and trolls" :eek:

These days netflix has a certain attraction for our family and has a total lack the "socks and trolls" of whom you speak.

Although at approximately 3gb per hour a it doesn't take too long have an impact on one's data allowance. A small price to pay for innocent entertainment.

And whilst I'm away from AF the "sock and troll " hunting is in the capable of the AF moderators.

IMO where it is rightly belongs. :D

Clubmanship is a key element as is participation and good behaviour.

I'd think one could check a few fellow froggers site activity times of day to determine how committed they to "sharing their knowledge" and the never ending pursuit of "socks and trolls" :eek:

These days netflix has a certain attraction for our family and has a total lack the "socks and trolls" of whom you speak.

Although at approximately 3gb per hour a it doesn't take too long have an impact on one's data allowance. A small price to pay for innocent entertainment.

And whilst I'm away from AF the "sock and troll " hunting is in the capable of the AF moderators.

IMO where it is rightly belongs. :D

I guess some had "insider" knowledge of the knitting/production and that would cause a knee jerk reaction, but then I know your heart is in the right place Rob as a good and faithful car club member.:approve: just like I have been over many years, you probably spent as many years planning and arranging events, the stopping points/rest points as I did and arranging accommodation, visits to points of interest that made so many drive days and interstate excursions possible and apparently enjoyable to all who participated.

When I think back to those days, as I was busy working, it was the wee small hours, or shift work that probably governed the short hours of sleep needed to regenerate the body for the next days work. :wink2: Some of the very popular events that didn't require much central planning and detailed organisation was the round the garages events, where members invited others to inspect their restorations, make suggestions, and share information over a drink and light refreshment/coffee etc.. Very popular in those days and so helpful to our committee members with the little actual work in running the event. :headbang:

Sadly these popular events had to be stopped owing to some light fingered miscreants that would rather steal a part or tool rather than work for it, much in the vein of sock and troll activity that ruins some of other members enjoyment IMHO! Identifying locking up petty thieves was a pretty good way of curbing the very few bad actors that tend to ruin car club events and worse still cast suspicion over other honest members who attended the same club event. :nownow:

Socks do the same sort of thing and sow distrust and mistrust if that is the intent of the individual :blackeye:, Great if it was just fun, but time has proven otherwise I suggest, and we should all do what we can to weed out anything that breeds distrust or disunity, as in the great new age of accelerated communication and exchange of ideas, all members should warn against the practice, as something that should not take place.:nownow: The Moderators do a sterling job, but like in a car club we all as participants need to do our vigilant bit to firstly deter any bad activity and of course aid the moderators in their voluntary tasks.

I guess none of us are angels,:wink2: we all like a good joke and I confess to a somewhat warped sense of humour :D and probably transgress in a PC world of perfection!. Over the years humour has been something that you find everywhere if you look for it, so smile and enjoy while watching all those Netflix cartoons...Keep away from the rudie nudie ones :banana:, at your age your heart might take a beating and we don't want to lose you mate.:)

I am sure if you looked back over your involvement with cars, Clubs etc. there are some very funny stories to relate. Kim Luck has a good memory (and humour to share) of those days in and around car clubs. Some I can't tell..bound to silence...to protect the guilty... err innocent.:eek:

Regards
Ken

Ken,

I can honestly say, I've not found the content on netflix that you so describe.

I will have take your word that that such content exists. Although Narcos has some in context scenes with Pablo Escobar.

At $15 odd per month it sure beats watching FTA and suffering the advertisements.

Due to mammoth problems with our NBN connection, we have discovered Netfilix streams successfully on 7 mbps, our 4g backup speed.

Ken,

I can honestly say, I've not found the content on netflix that you so describe.

I will have take your word that that such content exists. Although Narcos has some in context scenes with Pablo Escobar.

At $15 odd per month it sure beats watching FTA and suffering the advertisements.

Due to mammoth problems with our NBN connection, we have discovered Netfilix streams successfully on 7 mbps, our 4g backup speed.

My son has been trying to convince his reluctant father to move to Netflix. wanted to set it up on my 4G phone as well! though I am thinking of chucking in the Optus/Foxtel cable as they keep mucking about with content supplied but never reduce the price to compensate for repetition, heaps of adds and loss of the World movies access recently. would save a heap if we did, but then my son would miss the AFL live matches that are not free to air! I probably would only miss the documentaries, history and politics, but that is also on repeating endless loops these days. boring... but then there are real books.:D

Anyway back to the thread - car clubs and why we love or hate them...:)

Ken:)

I am thinking of chucking in the Optus/Foxtel cable

Wait a bit longer : the decision will be made on your behalf.

NBN won't support Optus cable.

Allegedly (on current NBN planning), you will connected to the NBN via FTTC (fibre to the curb) because of the poor condition of the Optus cable assets. You roll out is scheduled Jan -Jun 2019 .

Best of luck. Our Telstra HFC connection, changed to NBN , was initially sh!t. It's now quite good, but only after refusing to pay and much complaining.

We found foxtel content rubbish: unless you have $60 per month to spend. So we relinquished the service.

Netflix at $15/ month is bang for buck.

Last edited:
And you can share it with someone else.
I let my mum use my account.

Bang is even bigger!!

It's good until both you are connected at the time and then the Terms of Service are breached.

And your service may be cancelled.

For me, at $15 per month, it is cheap enough to observe the rules.

No you now get a warning with netflix saying xyz is logged in, where it then refuses to play the content, nothing more scary then that.