BRISBANE. Bougth a 207 GTi lemon.

Can you guys please confirm if there's an in-tank pump? I've only searched ebay and Amazon and have found in tank pumps for lower spec 207s but none foe GTi. Surely the HPFP isn't the only thing pumping fuel... so far away from the source.
Problem with most THP users is lack of understanding of their engine management systems that lead them to spend fortunate and get frustrated at the end.

P0087 does not signify the HPFP is faulty. It's wrong. Fuel pressure sensor work is to indicate degree of pressure on fuel rail. If pressure on the rail is too low, it doesn't mean necessarily mean the HPFP is the culprit. It's up to you to complete the diagnosis to narrow the exact culprit.

Low pressure of fuel to HPFP will give same error code, meaning, if in-tank pump or fuel filter is faulty or blocked, the HPFP won't receive enough fuel pressure to do it's own work. You have to first rule out in-tank pump or external fuel pump (if exist on the car) before you focus on HPFP. To check pressure from in-tank pump, you must use fuel pressure tester. Anything less than 72 psi (5 bar) means either the in-tank fuel pump or external fuel pump is bad/blocked. To confirm which of the two is the cause, remove the external fuel filter (if on the car) and blow through it. If blocked, replace and redo the pressure test with the tester. If psi is still less than 72, replace the HPFP. If 5 bar was indicated on the pressure tester and P0087 came back after clearing the faults, replace the HPFP.

I have diagnosed, found & replaced in-tank pump and/or external fuel filter as the cause of P0087 fault on THP systems, and the P0087 (including symptoms) went away. Of course, faulty HPFP will give/cause same issue (P0087), but DOESN'T always mean it MUST be the cause.

Lion-King Monk

Sounds a lot like it could be fuel related...there's been a lot of dirty fuel that's made its way into the bowsers in the last 18 months or so.

Try the basics first, change the fuel filter (check the old one for contamination) if this hasn't been done already, and make sure to use a good one (eg purflux). Not sure if the 207 has a drain plug on the fuel tank, if so, maybe try draining a bit out to check it.

The fuel filter for a petrol EP6 engine is an inline type underneath,, in front of the tank.

Problem with most THP users is lack of understanding of their engine management systems that lead them to spend fortunate and get frustrated at the

Lion-King Monk
Good advice, hence why I asked if there was an in-tank pump which (assume) its much easier to replace. I've done it before on other cars.
Planning on replacing that one first to see if its the culprit. Even if it isn't, at least that's one more maintenance item I've done.

Also, its definitely not low fuel surge or anything as I keep the tank at least ½ full most of the time, its seldom gone below ¼ capacity.
The filter was replaced by Euroserve who said it was very clogged.

Try the basics first, change the fuel filter (check the old one for contamination) if this hasn't been done already, and make sure to use a good one (eg
Filter replaced by Euroserve. I'm not hopeful it's as simple bad fuel as this has been going on for over 2 months and I fill it once a week at different servos/brands. Always 98 and I've put it quite a bit of fuel cleaner in.

Plus when P0087 finally gets cleared (which I need to do several times after cold/warm start, it drives fine... until it decides to chuck a shit again.
Its kinda like the movie Speed... as long as I keep moving its fine.

Just wanted to thank you guys n gals so much for putting up with this epic post and the awesome advice.
I'm a very patient man but this is really pushing my limits.

Once I get this fuel issue sorted, pending any other issues arising, I'll make a new post and summarise as succinctly as I can, my woes and solutions.

I guess silver lining is I'm learning new things... 😑

A pressure test on a fuel line is an easy job. Cheaper too.

Filter replaced by Euroserve. I'm not hopeful it's as simple bad fuel as this has been going on for over 2 months and I fill it once a week at different servos/brands. Always 98 and I've put it quite a bit of fuel cleaner in.

Fuel cleaner will not fix fuel contamination on the sort of level/type I'm thinking of. To me, what you've described sounds very much like fuel contamination.

If Euroserve found that the filter was 'very clogged', unless they flushed the tank and lines, I'd say that fuel contamination is likely. Did you ask them if they made sure the tank was clean? I'd be chasing this before anything else. They might have drained some fuel using the pick up line, and found it clear, so thought it was clear, but the pick up is not in the very bottom of the tank, so at rest, it may not draw up any contamination (heavier than the fuel) by taking a sample from the pick up, but when the car is moving, the contaminant gets sloshed around and mixes with the fuel so that it can get into the pick up and clog the filter again very quickly.

The main fuel pump is external, if it's typical of the Peugeot way, but there is likely another low pressure pick up pump in the tank. That being the case, if the pick up pump has failed, the problem you have would likely get worse as the fuel level in the tank drops...but from what you've said, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Not all fuel retailers are equal, in terms of making sure the underground tanks are clean, and with all the wet weather that Sydney'/NSW has had, the issue of contamination is very common.

Good evening buoys and gulls.
In a nutshell, the car feels like its 1L naturally aspirated. Revs slow, has virtually no torque below 2,200RPM, and hillstarts in inclines cause anxiety. I have to rev to 3,000RPM semi dump the clutch and floor it. Not kidding.

Starts fine, idles smoothly, no untoward noises or smells, no CEL codes.

I apologise if I have posted this in the incorrect section, but I implore someone/people's help in diagnosing, and possibly fix.

Yes, I've spent a couple hours searching the net/YouTube and realise it can dozens of things. I've only done a simple check of engine pipes/hoses/wires and nothing is loose. Going to remove spark plugs tonight. Only had it for <36hours.

I live on Brisbane southside (Stretton) and willing to travel about 40km.

Thank you all in advance.

Andy.
Hi I bought a 407 and had the same problem, found the air intake hose had a 6 cm split at the back, replaced that and no further problem, may be the same with Yours!!

Andy's car is a petrol turbo. Air intake passages after the turbo are reinforced or solid nylon. Intake air pressure is measured just before the manifold plenum.

Zeus, my initial issue was been identified as ECU cutting virtually all boost.
But yes, vacuum/boost leak was one of many things we checked as did. Euroserve

Strictly, the HP pipe at the HP pump is regarded as a single-use, but you could likely get by reusing it. Check carefully for leakage if you do. Local dealer over the counter won't be especially costly. It's not worth messing around with Pirtek for this.

Have you tested the pressure the tank pump is delivering? What was the pressure reading? Don't just change it without checking as it's comparatively very rarely at fault vs the HP pump.

Strictly, the HP pipe at the HP pump is regarded as a single-use, but you could likely get by reusing it. Check carefully for leakage if you do. Local dealer over the counter won't be especially costly. It's not worth messing around with Pirtek for this.

Have you tested the pressure the tank pump is delivering? What was the pressure reading? Don't just change it without checking as it's comparatively very rarely at fault vs the HP pump.
Haven't had a chance to get a mate to drive it as I look at OBDII and haven't figured out how to log it on the fancy one.
Cant seem to find a compatible in tank pump online but I've only looked at Amazon and ebay so far

Haven't had a chance to get a mate to drive it as I look at OBDII and haven't figured out how to log it on the fancy one.
Cant seem to find a compatible in tank pump online but I've only looked at Amazon and ebay so far
If you don't have a part number yet, you should be able to find it on catalogs.ssg.asia
Click here:
Then take your part number to sites like Spareto.com - they are in Estonia, but are incredibly efficient, and you can expect delivery (via DHL) in about a week.

Last edited: