Another R17 owner planning to upgrade

Yes feeling sore today but with progress. Had a bit of a shoulder accident some weeks back.
I finally got around to some body work starting on the guards. I bought some from Angru a few years back and I'm using them for the build.
Doing a few mods to these which included the A pillar by shaving off 25mm for more wheel clearance (Owners of these R17 will know about this) and inner guards removed because of rust in the roller over seams. They tend to suffer here. Sand blasting as I go. The two guards have rust at the base so new panels stitched in are needed. One done today and I have surprised of what I have achieved. I have fashioned some .8mm sheet steel into curved new panels and welded them in from the inside. A piece of copper clamped along the seam stops the blow through and really works well! Kept the wheel arch curve within the guard as I wouldn't be able to copy these that easy. I slit the guard close to the edge and puled it back 25mm. Worked well.

View attachment 221738View attachment 221739View attachment 221740View attachment 221741View attachment 221742View attachment 221743View attachment 221744View attachment 221747
Wow. I have some work for you.... :) Just joking. Lovely outcomes.

Fantastic work Shoji.

What wheels are you planning to fit to make use of this extra clearance? 15” or just much wider rims?

Ditto to the above comments, love your work John, i'm going to have get a move along with my R12 project you are making me look slack.

Keep up the good work (y)

Fantastic work Shoji.

What wheels are you planning to fit to make use of this extra clearance? 15” or just much wider rims?
Not sure but I have always wanted wider. I have some fergats that could be made wider and upt to 15
Ditto to the above comments, love your work John, i'm going to have get a move along with my R12 project you are making me look slack.

Keep up the good work (y)
I'm working on doing the right side guard today COL. Still a big list....
Wow John, your panel welding is getting very good, better than some panel beaters I have seen.

It is going to look very good when re-assembled.

Ray
Ray I found the copper sheet works a treat. As you said once or maybe a few times "practice makes....."
Still have to do liquid test on those weld seams

This stuff I have have talked about and is what I will use to reattach the inner splash guards.

Reactions: COL
Right hand guard with the reduced curve, cut, checked and spot welded. Check again.
At the front of these guards is an edge that I never thought was right. I rolled over the lip. Neater joins to front panel.

Reduce curve.jpg
Lip rolled over.jpg
Lip rolled.jpg

Weld from the back of the panels. On the front a 1-1.5mm little copper sheet clamped along the seam to be butt welded. It won't blow through!! The clamps act as heat sinks too! Lowest setting, low feed wire and just tack.
Must admit I started getting confident and did quite a few lines.
Other trick is don't go hard, let it cool down and clean as you go. And clean again!
I could get my unit to weld with gas wire so I went back to gasless 0.9mm wire

Copper weld panel aid.jpg

Reactions: COL
I made my own synchroniser very simple just 4 clear plastic pipes a metre long joined at the bottom with a cross connector, with water and a bit of food colouring and a tubeless tyre fitting that screws into the cover for the progression holes. Works perfectly.

Really into the R17's body now. :)
Been stripping all the old paint off the front guards to get a good start. I just use a small shaggy nap roller to apply the paint stripper evenly.
There's no easy way really. The wire wheel does make a meal of it after softening the paint with stripper, wipe it down and then wheel spins to finish it off.
My wife just pointed out some choice of words are a bit racey..:rolllaugh:

Left guard stipping.jpg
Left guard stipped 2.jpg
Left guard stipped 4.jpg
Left guard stipped 5.jpg
Left guard stipped 6.jpg
Right guard stipping.jpg

Really into the R17's body now. :)
Been stripping all the old paint off the front guards to get a good start. I just use a small shaggy nap roller to apply the paint stripper evenly.
There's no easy way really. The wire wheel does make a meal of it after softening the paint with stripper, wipe it down and then wheel spins to finish it off.
My wife just pointed out some choice of words are a bit racey..:rolllaugh:

View attachment 222471View attachment 222472View attachment 222473View attachment 222474View attachment 222475View attachment 222476
You bring new meaning to meticulous John. Lovely work. Should be ready for the July CC&C at this rate. :) We're missing you.

Not sure about July John but I also have Ron on my back as well. He saying "hope you get it finished soon so I can have another ride to CC&C before I fall off the perch"

That is the cleanest looking panel! Hubba hubba

That is the cleanest looking panel! Hubba hubba
My brother said don't touch the metal with your bare fingers before you prime. Our oils and moisture will come back to haunt you!