Abandoned Beauties

Talk of pfaffing around makes me think of sewing machines rather than V8s,

Roger
20211109_143757.jpg

A not abandoned beauty!

20211109_144511.jpg

An original, complete and working, Willcox & Gibbs chain stitcher.

It's been in my family since new.

If I still had this benign Rover V8 I could have done a transplant.🤔

I have one sitting in my shed begging me to do this. If you manage to rebuild the motor to run "backwards".... that would be probably only the camshaft, oil pump and starter you would need to change... Then if you get an adapter plate and bolt it upto the gearbox, you then have the issue all of your accessory drive is now wedged up against the firewall.

Now if you can find a vehicle that used an small all alloy v8 in east/west configuration, you would have the accesory drive in the right place and would just to reverse the motor and work out an adapter plate.

The only sensible conversion I can think of is finding a tesla and tearing out it's motor and battery pack. electric motors don't care which way they turn :dance:

If a Mini can hold a Rover V8, surely a Cit cab also......
rover-mini.jpg

There's a transverse Austin Princess manual box mounted underneath, as in the Austin. How it handles the torque I don't know.

If you have driven a manual Rover 3500 S - it isn't wheezy.

I have one sitting in my shed begging me to do this. If you manage to rebuild the motor to run "backwards".... that would be probably only the camshaft, oil pump and starter you would need to change... Then if you get an adapter plate and bolt it upto the gearbox, you then have the issue all of your accessory drive is now wedged up against the firewall.

Now if you can find a vehicle that used an small all alloy v8 in east/west configuration, you would have the accesory drive in the right place and would just to reverse the motor and work out an adapter plate.

The only sensible conversion I can think of is finding a tesla and tearing out it's motor and battery pack. electric motors don't care which way they turn :dance:
4.4L Cadillac Northstar was used east west.

Now I couldn't find as clear an image as I would have liked, but it almost looked like in the photo I did find that you could flip the DS crown wheel carrier over and drive it off the opposite side of the pinion? Has anyone physically tried this cos that'll get you heading in the right direction.

There's a transverse Austin Princess manual box mounted underneath, as in the Austin. How it handles the torque I don't know.

Before they released the Austin Tasman/Kimberly 6 cylinder range Leyland Australia built some V8 test mules with this body shell.
Apparently performed very well but had significant understeer so they axed the concept. Funnily enough I had 6 cylinder Kimberly and it was far and away the worst understeering car I've ever owned. Hard to imagine the alloy V8 was worse? Anyway the made the P76 to stick the V8 in instead.👍👍

The P6 3500 autos weren't exactly slugs either.

Early SD1s and similar era Range Rovers were certainly a bit on the anaemic side. But so were Holdens and Fords of the same timeframe.

The Group A SD1 Vitesse was pretty competitive, I think it won the British Touring Car Championship one year. They put out around 350HP in the heavily regulated group A guise.

4.4L Cadillac Northstar was used east west.

Now I couldn't find as clear an image as I would have liked, but it almost looked like in the photo I did find that you could flip the DS crown wheel carrier over and drive it off the opposite side of the pinion? Has anyone physically tried this cos that'll get you heading in the right direction.
Um...... flipping the Diff is not really gonna work.

In a Dee box the helix of the gears produces an axial thrust on both shafts (top towards the front, bottom towards the rear)
The pinion against the crownwheel also produces an axial thrust on the bottom shaft, towards the front.
In the normal Dee setup the 2 thrusts are opposing, and therefore almost exactly balancing each other....... that's by clever design.
If you drive the box backwards, and flip the Diff, the 2 thrusts from the gears are reversed. So the bottom shaft now has 2 thrusts (gears and pinion) in the same direction..... and really significant.
The box does not have any bearings or structure designed to take such axial load, and would last....... well let's be optimistic.... 1 minute at full throttle.

That’s a very sensible conversion because then you’d have a Tesla that actually looks good on the road

Um...... flipping the Diff is not really gonna work.

In a Dee box the helix of the gears produces an axial thrust on both shafts (top towards the front, bottom towards the rear)
The pinion against the crownwheel also produces an axial thrust on the bottom shaft, towards the front.
In the normal Dee setup the 2 thrusts are opposing, and therefore almost exactly balancing each other....... that's by clever design.
If you drive the box backwards, and flip the Diff, the 2 thrusts from the gears are reversed. So the bottom shaft now has 2 thrusts (gears and pinion) in the same direction..... and really significant.
The box does not have any bearings or structure designed to take such axial load, and would last....... well let's be optimistic.... 1 minute at full throttle.
Mmm there's not much to a VW transaxle either but in the early Kombis they flipped the crown wheel as the reduction boxes reversed it back to the correct rotation at the wheels, my brother's still running one of these in a mid engined sports car, the reduction boxes were removed and the whole engine and gearbox assembly rotated 180 degrees so the car still goes in the right direction. He's had it close to 40 years now?

Whether we believe it will last or not in the Citroen's case, will the crown wheel carrier physically flip over?

I guess the longevity aspect is just theory if
no-one has actually tried it?🤔

Other option would be to turn the whole transaxle upside down, that'll keep you going in the right direction too with everything in the gearbox still spinning as designed.🤷‍♂️