307 tow bar wiring

Hugh Venables

Fellow Frogger
307 tow bar wiring and reversing sensors

I have been able to rescue the tow bar and it's trailer wiring module from the underbonnet fire car which has been written off and am surprised at the number of wires in the loom that goes to the trailer socket. Has anyone got any information on this?

The owners handbook says the reversing sensors are turned off when a tow bar is fitted. That seems a bit of a shame. Is it possible to fit a switch to open the wiring circuit to the sensors? I'm surprised to see that there are still four separate wires disappearing up into the roof lining through the rear quarter panel.
Thanks, Hugh.

Last edited:
If you switch off the ability to turn off the reverse sensors when reversing a trailer you'll just have an annoying beep of the sensor detecting the trailer.

I've got a problem. I've swapped the trailer wiring into the "new" car but none of the trailer lights work. There are two unused plugs in the cars wiring loom that plug into the trailer wiring module and a loom comes out of the module to the trailer wiring socket. The donor car was the one that had a socket on the front bumper as well and it also had some other bodgey looking wiring added between the tail lights. There has been some interference to the loom that connects to the trailer socket too. Any one got any ideas?

Connecting the module has managed to disable the reversing sensors, unfortunately.
Thanks, Hugh.

Last edited:
Have you an empty fuse receptacle in the maxi fuses? From memory, some models required an additional 40A fuse to be placed in one of the large sockets under the engine bay fuse panel.

Thanks Addo, there is a spare but adding a fuse to it doesn't make any difference. One of the unused plugs in the car loom that plugs into the module has only one very heavy red wire. I would expect that to be a +12V wire to power the module but there is no power there, with or without the extra fuse. I'm guessing this is most likely the problem. Perhaps something has to be done to power up this wire on installation?
Hugh.

Last edited:
That's new to me - only got a C5 schematic to look at. Was expecting Z210B or B200. Is it populating one side of a two pin plug, or is it a one-pin plug?

Normally an M suffix is on a ground wire (which would be yellow with green stripe or vice-versa).

It is one side of a two pin plug. The other side is empty, the same on both cars.

There is another empty socket on the module but it was empty on the other car too.

That would classed as a black connector. It should be fed by a fuse lurking on a separate panel in/near the glovebox, or near your BSI. Look for a 19 pin black connector. The wire should not change colour or coding from where your are looking in the boot.

OK, I found the wire in a 16 pin black connector on the fuse panel behind the glovebox. There are no empty fuse sockets on the panel. According to the owners handbook, every fuse already has a function. I pulled all the 30A fuses and inspected, all were OK. I really appreciate your help. Any more ideas?
Thanks,
Hugh.

That fuse, in my C5 schematic, then links directly to one of the maxi fuses under the bonnet, you know the block of eight fuse spaces located directly under the engine bay fuse panel? No.6 for a facelift C5.

My owners handbook refers to fusebox 1 and fusebox 2. I assume these are alternatives as I can only see one. It is 9661708280 and doesn't have a row of eight fuses. No 6 on this one according to owners manual is four speed auto, auto gear lever lock, push control switch (?), fan assembly high speed relay, R & L xenon bulb headlamps. No 4 was empty, headlamp wash, put a fuse in but still no power to heavy red wire at trailer wiring module. I think I'd better go to bed and try some more in the morning. A friend nearby has a T6 wagon with a tow bar. I got the answering machine tonight but will try him tomorrow.
Thanks,
Hugh.

Aha, yes I see, a row of monsters along the lower front when I pull it up. 6 is empty. Can I get these from Repco/Autobarn? Snould it be 30A? The owners handbook says 6 is 80A passenger compartment fuse box. Seems strange it's empty.
Hugh.

It only feeds that one wire so far as I know. 30A should work but if they say 80 is OK why not? Repco should have them, or rob a wreck.

Thanks Addo, that's a fantastic help. I was planning a trip to Pick a part tomorrow morning. Will I find them in other Europeans too? Or are they common in many moderns?
Hugh.