307 tow bar wiring

Yes, rescued three 70A fuses. Plugged one in and now have 9.5V (with 12.5V across the battery) at the heavy red wire at the module. Seems strange that it is only 9.5 so I changed the fuse but still got the same 9.5V. But still no output from the module to the trailer lights. Having said that, I am relying on my trailer for diagnosis. But it worked perfectly with the module etc. in the other car. I tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery with all precautions but still no trailer lights. Progress, but not success.
Hugh

Follow it back; do you have battery voltage at the first fuse, and the second?

I'm thinking you may need to set the BSI configuration to note the trailer module as "Present".

I was hoping that disconnecting/reconnecting the battery might do that. How would I set the BSI configuration? It has figured out that it should disable the reverse parking sensors. Could the 9.5V be meant to be?
Hugh

You'll need either a red hot diagnostic tool like the Snap-On or similar, or the cloned version of Peugeot Planet / Diagbox as used by many here.

The voltages should be battery voltage all the way into the first module, then switched accordingly as per the commands from your 9017/9018 data lines in.

I had an auto elec who does a lot of trailer wiring for caravans come and fit an electric brake module and asked him to fix the trailer wiring. He found a wire somewhere at the front of the car that was coiled up and not connected. The 9 1/2 volts I had measured was feeding back out of the module, not on the heavy red supply wire. He said he had to add an earth too. The earth he has added is from the car body to the earth pin in the trailer socket.

He has fitted a trailer wiring socket to the back of the car that has a reed switch in it so that the reversing sensors work except when a trailer is plugged into the socket.
Hugh

Last edited:
I am also wiring up my towbar socket at the moment on my pug 2007 307 hdi.

Did the autoleccy have to change setting in the car computer to get the towbar wiring to work??
Also my heavy red wire DH38 needs to be wired in. It is just cut off in the glovebox fusebox for some reason. Can you tell me how he wired in the dh38?? thanks

I wish I could be more help. He just said he had to connect it. I will e-mail him and ask. By the way my donor loom was wired to a 7 pin flat plug but there are a lot of wires in the loom that are not connected. I'm hoping to use one of them to drive an extra reverse light as the one in the tail light cluster is almost useless. I hope one in the trailer wiring loom will have the same colour code as the reverse light wire at the tail light cluster.
Hugh

Yes i agree that reverse light is hopeless ,when we first got the car i went exploring to find out why the right hand reverse light didnt work ,turns out its a fog light ,had considered putting a meter of led strip across the back on the rear skirt ,connected to the existing light ,was wondering how the computer would respond ,pugs

Janke250, are you getting anywhere? There is no reply from the autoelec yet. Tell me where to find the DH38 wire and I will see what it has been connected to. I can see that he has run a separate earth wire to the trailer socket too.
Hugh.

So here is a pic of the towbar socket i have that i cant find anywhere on the internet. Maybe this is the only one ever made!!! Ha
Maybe it is called a 13 pin round US?????
Anyways has anyone seen this one before and do they have details on how to wire it up??? Just in case i ever use a 13 pin plug on it.

IMGP0247.jpg

Hi Ben,
Still no reply from the autolec. I just pulled the glovebox out and had a look. The heavy red wire BH38M (also marked 040591412) from the loom on the left of the fuse panel has been joined to a heavy grey wire 5324 from the loom on the right side of the panel. The grey wire has a grey plug on it and the red wire has been plugged into it and has insulation tape wound around it. I am reasonably sure that the red wire was previously in one of the large multi plugs that plug into the panel.
Hugh

is there anyone out there that can give me facts on this wireing harness ,my son has a 3/07 307 wagon vin CF33ERHRJ84803752 ,he baught a bar and what looks like the peugeot harness and box ,we have activated the live feed from the box under the bonnet ,joined the two wires in the glove box passenger side ,have attempted to connect a 7 pin flat socket ,which includes two extra terminal from a switch operated by the cover flap ,i have looked this topic up on frogs and the net and seem to be getting conflicting ,versions ,1 douse the lid switch ,switch off the reversing sensors ,or let the ecu know to expect extra load from trailer lights or both ,2 douse anyone have a colour code for this wireing harness ,we have tried to transpose the wires from what was left of the old peugeot round socket ,,one side of the lid switch went to the green wire ,that also went into one of the other terminal ,and we beveled this to be earth ,but the net says green is RHside light ,another post on the net says his auto spark had to run SEPERATE EARTH FROM THE BODY TO THE SOCKET ,we have tried using a led test lamp to find whats what but every time we do the dash flashes economy mode and the indicators wont work till we turn off ignition and start it up again ,douse the lid switch ,activate something up front that sends power down the big red wire as ,power to that wire seems also to be intermittent ,we need to know which wires go into the lid switch ,thanks ,and which wire if any is the earth or negative wire ,also douse the ecu need to be notified of the addition or the trailer wireing and relay box ,PUGS

When is a new post not a new post ,? When its added to an old post ,it would appear ,was hoping to get this sorted this weekend ,not to be ,may have to visit the auto spark .pugs

I’m reading this thread, pug.

On my 2007 model 307 T6, I have a plug which looks similar to the one posted by janke back in 2015, but I’m not certain that it’s the same. I bought the 7 pin flat plug to change from this monster plug and thought that it would be done in the afternoon. Ha!

I’ll try and get a picture of it later today and post the picture.

Well yes that is the plug it had and yes we are trying to fit a flat 7 pin,with two extra terminals for the lid switch ,we have just determined that last time the mechanic came he indeed ,cod towbar on 307 ,we have some spare wires ,which it would appear is the norm ,including a thick green and yellow ,which i dont recall seeing at the car end of the loom ,i will have to investigate as this may be the missing earth to body ,which may not have been connected ,if you can tell us the colours of the wires that go to the lid switch that would be a great start ,the car is at my sons place ,we have had a development in the last few hours ,he has filled it with 70 litres of super ,in a diesel ,we have drained the tank and re filled with diesel ,im now heading off to find out how to change the filter and clear the lines of super before ,attempting to turn it over ,thanks heaps for your reply ,presuming yours has the same colour code a pic of the inside of the socket would be great ,pugs

Hi pugs,

sorry, but I didn’t get to the picture today. When I wasn’t busy, it poured down rain this afternoon in Canberra, where we are for the weekend; when I was busy, it wasn’t raining, or as now, it’s dark.

with two extra terminals for the lid switch
What’s the lid switch?

cod towbar on 307
I’m sure that it’s a typo, but I cannot work out what it’s supposed to mean. I’d be happy to learn what you mean!

we have had a development in the last few hours ,he has filled it with 70 litres of super ,in a diesel ,we have drained the tank and re filled with diesel ,im now heading off to find out how to change the filter and clear the lines of super before ,attempting to turn it over
Ah, so easy to do. And yes, I’ve done it before on one of my Pug diesels. Back home from Sydney after a full day’s work in Sydney, and I just wanted to fill up and crawl into bed. Except that I had filled up with Premium ULP, paid, and was about to drive off. But something didn’t feel right and I looked at the docket for the fuel and saw that it was for Premium ULP, not diesel fuel. Thankfully, I had only switched to ignition, not turned to the start position. But at 10:30 at night, I didn’t feel like dealing with the problem, so I called for road service and had the car towed to my mechanic and left there. And road service took me (and my wife. Probably not a good idea to leave her with the car.) home.

thanks heaps for your reply ,presuming yours has the same colour code a pic of the inside of the socket would be great
Hopefully tomorrow.

Cheers,
Andrew

The lid switch ,the old socket had a couple of spade connections to the side that connect when the flap is open ,to i think notify the ecu that the trailer is about to be connected ,therefore extra load ,or it may possibly delete the reversing beepers ,or activate a relay which sends power down the back on the red wire ,seems to me nothing is going to work until these are connected ,i may be over complicating things ,pugs