203 Wagon Restoration

i worry about how long a decaying covir will last, in use - can't the new ones be made to look indistinguishable? for that matter could the silencer be unseam-ed and hot-dog guts applied?
something discreetly intersposed between muffler and floor?
i know;"original is just fine and best for posterity" and amenity vs authenticity is your call,
but i like to think you could really enjoy what is a credit to you.

I have the covir problem covered (boom tish) with one of the modern plastic reproductions from Finland. Whilst it can be painted to match I have such variety in internal plastics that the grey in which these come certainly does not look out of place.

Strong clarification needed here. I am not complaining about any part of the driving experience - only making an observation. If I were to have any complaint it would be toward those self appointed experts who always feel that they know better and modify that which came out of the factory. If they want to apply their theories to their own cars I would defend their right to do so - much like free speech in this free country. However I despair that the general opinion expressed on this forum seems to be that old Peugeots must be modified to be usable. Surely over 600,000 203 owners were able to use their cars from new. This rant is not directed to you or any other individual. Certainly no offence is intended - just my two cents worth. Nuff sed.

And yes, I am guilty of modification. The direct metal big end bearings were replaced with inserts on the basis of cost and convenience.

Last edited:
I agree, my stock 203 is great to drive, even has the original exhaust pipe up until the diff, the rear piece had to be replaced because it had worn through on the bends.

I have the covir problem covered (boom tish) with one of the modern plastic reproductions from Finland. Whilst it can be painted to match I have such variety in internal plastics that the grey in which these come certainly does not look out of place.

Strong clarification need here. I am not complaining about any part of the driving experience - only making an observation. If I were to have any complaint it would be toward those self appointed experts who always feel that they know better and modify that which came out of the factory. If they want to apply their theories to their own cars I would defend their right to do so - much like free speech in this free country. However I despair that the general opinion expressed on this forum seems to be that old Peugeots must be modified to be usable. Surely over 600,000 203 owners were able to use their cars from new. This rant is not directed to you or any other individual. Certainly no offence is intended - just my two cents worth. Nuff sed.

And yes, I am guilty of modification. The direct metal big end bearings were replaced with inserts on the basis of cost and convenience.

Probably about time this went to the completed projects forum. Now registered and 500 miles covered with little drama. Received Best Peugeot and Best French Car at the 2015 Telopea Park exhibit. Next public outing will be Wheels at old Parliament House on 15 May.

Attachments

• P1010710.jpg
    P1010710.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 452
  • P1010711.jpg
    P1010711.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 447
  • P1010712.jpg
    P1010712.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 453
Probably about time this went to the completed projects forum. Now registered and 500 miles covered with little drama. Received Best Peugeot and Best French Car at the 2015 Telopea Park exhibit. Next public outing will be Wheels at old Parliament House on 15 May.

Congratulations on your well deserved wins :wink2:

Now residing with our completed restorations. . .

Cheers
Chris

Congrats. A beautiful result. I trust you are enjoying it!