203 Wagon Restoration

Commerciale

Fellow Frogger
It's probably time for me to expose this job to the World. But first, I need to make clear where I am coming from in order not to offend many of the 203 punters who frequent this site.

It has long been my opinion that no-one in Australia so far has attempted a 203 restoration that seeks to ensure that the subject vehicle emerges authentic in all parts, including fasteners. What I have started with is a relatively rare version of the 203 wagon which was largely unmolested, rust free (yes-you read right) and, I believe, low mileage. From this base I felt a strong obligation to ensure that as much originality as possible is preserved while removing the daggy bits.

The story starts in 1973 when I purchased the wagon from a slightly dodgey dealer in lower priced used cars. It had apparently been used as a surf wagon, being fitted with curtains, filled with beach sand and had holes where a stereo previously resided. The radiator showed signs of recent overheating with a stretched top tank and a neat hole drilled in the cap to relieve pressure. The dealer assured me that a new head gasket had been fitted and all was well. A price of $150 was negotiated. ACT registration was obtained after a new tail pipe was fitted. A vicious underfloor knocking was cured by tightening the upper gearbox mount bolt and four cylinders restored by a new set of plugs. It can be very hard getting across an intersection in a healthy 203 - one running on two cylinders is usually beaten by the change of lights!

The wagon provided useful second car transport for a couple of years until power started to drop off. A tear down revealed that all the rings had broken into small pieces, tearing out the piston lands. The direct metal big ends also showed bad wear, despite the crankshaft being within tolerance. My thoughts were that the previous surfie owner had probably pulled it out of a shed and roared the crap out of it without changing the oil.

Needing a replacement, I sold it to a friend and bought a 1955 203C5 wagon (very rusty and another story), Said friend fitted new rings on second hand pistons, shell big end conrods and new mains. He drove it 100 miles to his shed where it rested from 1976 to 2009.

By about 2008 I had developed a longing for another 203. Realising that original and rust free examples were virtually non-existant my thoughts returned to the wagon. Yes, it was for sale and a deal done. The attached photos show its retrieval and state after washing. The whole was sound but very tired. All rubber was unusable and the pee of a thousand rats and possums had promoted a great deal of surface rust.

A few details. It's a 203U6A with a C2 gearbox, an interim model made between June and September 1954. Given that the serial number is 900+ on from June 1954, the CKD kit probably left France during that month. Australian assembly was by NSW distributors, Harden and Johnston.

Restoration proper commenced on my retirement in January 2011. This has consisted so far of total stripdown, sourcing parts from France and elswhere, abrasive blasting and repainting. More pictures to come in future posts.

Tony

Attachments

• 183.jpg
    183.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 991
  • 185.jpg
    185.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 908
  • 195.jpg
    195.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,114
  • Copy(2) of P1010020.jpg
    Copy(2) of P1010020.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,927
nothing offensive yet
and a profound thank you for sharing
a thing of beauty, esp w/ those badges and blank door

More stripdown photos and instant progress on the restoration.

Yes, the plain tailgate does, IMHO look better than the C5 style. Pity, you say, about the ding in it and the cheap non-original tail lights. However, watch this space.

Attachments

• Copy of P1010255.jpg
    Copy of P1010255.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 810
  • Copy of P1010253.jpg
    Copy of P1010253.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 847
  • Copy(2) of P1010021.jpg
    Copy(2) of P1010021.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,433
  • Picture 002 (2).jpg
    Picture 002 (2).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 878
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 984
What a great find and looking so straight an all. Give me first refusal to buy if you ever:tongue: wish to sell after you've done all the hard work of course!

I am green with envy

Looking at the photos takes me back to my childhood when the old man had two of them. The same banana yellow colour as yours was originally.

Looking forward to your next lot of photos

Dano

This section of your story rang bells with me

The story starts in 1973 when I purchased the wagon from a slightly dodgey dealer in lower priced used cars. It had apparently been used as a surf wagon, being fitted with curtains, filled with beach sand and had holes where a stereo previously resided.

If so, I looked at that very same car in 1973 with a mate who shared my enthusiasm for Pugs!

Great to see what you are doing with it now, and amazing to think of the journey from dodgy car yard to restoration.

Ian.

Does anyone know who drives the 203 wagon in Narrabundah, Canberra?

It's a daily driver, and very "original" looking :)

Nice to see the restoration. The question or originality of restoration is not often raised with 203's owing to the majority of restorers wishing to modernize or alter certain aspects to fit them to modern traffic. Because of this there is little information collected as to original trims, materials and paints and the appropriate features for year levels. Quite the opposite of some British makes. The level of originality varies with the restorer- for example the owner of an early Holden which had no trafficators at all refuses to fit turn indicators. Some people take off blinkers and revert to semaphores but that means hand signals must be used that nobody understands. So for use in other than club runs certain modifications are sensibly dictated for safety. As the 403 is newer original condition cars can still be found but original unrestored 203's are very rare. Invariably owned by little old ladies and ideally with a good history to go with them.
I would not support a general statement that original restorations on 203's don't take place because such restorers tend to work in isolation and you don't hear of them. Suddenly a shed door is opened and a splendid car revealed.
Restoring an Australian assembled car is made more difficult because of different paints and possibly some materials. Matching trim materials exactly is not easy. It is sometimes difficult to make judgements on what was an original feature and what was added later unless the history of the vehicle is known. When the original owner is found they often turn up different information on a car. Assumptions are often proven wrong. I know that happened both with my 403 and 203.
Good luck with it. I may get to see it sometime.

Sorry Russell, but you seem to have sought to counter an allegedly general statement with another. I, for one, have never seen an authentically restored 203 in Australia. Can you direct me to one?

Not that I will be seeking the high moral ground on this one. I readily admit to a few small transgressions, such as insert big end bearings, but where authentic bits are readily available I will be using them.

As regards to authenticity of paint and trim I have been lucky that the wagon had largely escaped the moderniser. The low mileage (35,000 which I believe is not 135,000) may attest to this combined with the original features I have been able to identify from the parts book. The painter has been able to duplicate the original body colours, albeit in too-shiny two pack. I have sourced replacement fawn wool headlining identified from unfaded samples of the original but will have to use an identically patterned stretch vinyl in place of the original non-stretch variety. I threw out the rotten original rear carpet in 1973 but expect to find a fairly close replacement.

Yes, few people now understand the significance of hand signals. I am sure that most following my 1925 Dodge roadster assume that I am attempting to dry my nail polish! The 203 trafficators will be retained and I hope will become obvious in their purpose to the great unwashed motoring public.

Finally (here is where I start to offend), modernisation is not restoration. But people can do whatever they want to their own cars. It's a bit like free speech. I do not care what others do any would hope that similarly, no-one would criticise me for being somewhat pedantic in my restoration standards.

Tony

Great work so far!

I have a Christmas or birthday card somewhere of a yellow or cream 203 wagon which I got 20 or more years ago. I wonder if it's the same car!

A few more photos.

It is obvious why the 203 rusts where it does. The first photo shows how dust penetrates into the sill area behind the front wheels. This area seems to have been protected by only a lick and promise of red undercoat. I have been lucky as the road detritus did not stay wet, rendering only surface rust rather than the usual perforation. The Australian assemblers, in their infinate wisdom, also applied bituminous underseal to anything that didn't move. This blocked the drains carefully pressed into the bottom of the top hat sections behind the sills which trapped any water collecting in that area.

Speaking of undercoat, I had visions of scraping it off with laquer thinner and a putty knife. A couple of years would have done it (an me probably). However, the sandblaster assured me that he could achieve the task. Sure enough, he was as good as his word. The stripping was achieved with a range of media - garnet for the underseal and heavy bits, glass beads for the interior and soda for the outer panels. My subsequent enquiry about the underseal was greeted with much muttering and head shaking - rather him than me but the end result was great.

Attachments

• P1010364.jpg
    P1010364.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 778
  • Picture 008 (2).jpg
    Picture 008 (2).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 780
  • Picture 001 (2).jpg
    Picture 001 (2).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 811
Hi-That is in amazing condition.I have a mate who is currently restoring his 203 Panel Van.
I am sure there are not many around-at least not on the road.
The unfortunate part is that the guy he bought it from about 2 years ago had my mate help him push it OUTSIDE about 10 years ago.
It always amazes me when I see cars restored & there seems to be massive $$$$ spent but absolutely no regard to the original or even at least any form of practical improvement.
Looks like you will -cruising down the road by next weekend.
Might add that a lot of restorers do not like using 2 pak as it is not 'The Original Look'
My perspective is that there is a certain amount of poetic licence that can be used as when the cars were originally what was used was available at the time & all of the trim [partic. seat,door & roof] etc. would have not been consistent world-wide.
:2cents:
Pekay.

Yes, two pack is probably too shiny but it will remain one of the compromises I have had to make. My painter was not confident that he could obtain acrylic laquer of sufficient quality for him to guarentee the job. In any event, acrylic lacquer would not replicate the original finish which was pyroxylin lacquer (Duco) - even more unobtainable.

However, look at the photos and see what you think.

Attachments

• Copy of P1010289.jpg
    Copy of P1010289.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 856
  • Copy of P1010307.jpg
    Copy of P1010307.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,358
  • Picture 056 (2).jpg
    Picture 056 (2).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 813
Great job. Your wagon looks a treat Tony.

cant wait to see it complete and on the road

Yes, two pack is probably too shiny but it will remain one of the compromises I have had to make. My painter was not confident that he could obtain acrylic laquer of sufficient quality for him to guarentee the job. In any event, acrylic lacquer would not replicate the original finish which was pyroxylin lacquer (Duco) - even more unobtainable.

However, look at the photos and see what you think.

put it this way

if we were back in 1955 at the motor show and this wagon was on show for all to see how shiny do you think it would have been to entice people over to the peugeot stand to have a look at it ??

What a knockout job.
Just wondering, did you do a job on the underneath before all of this?
I like the trolley arrangement but you might have used a rotisserie right in the beginning?
I am very inspired by this work, thanks.

O yes another question. Did you get it sandblasted on site? Wonderful result, when I think of all the grinding with abrasive discs that I did on my blue car. The 49er will need some grinding to get some deep rust out but sandblasting would be wonderful for all that tricky stuff in the engine bay and round under the dash and all the tricky corners.

And another, did you use two pack for the grey inside paint?

The trolley was my idea as I had to move the shell around my shed during restoration and get it on a trailer for transportation to Goulburn where the blaster and the painter are located. Being of thrifty nature (ie tight as a whale's....) I made it as cheaply as possible - castors from Ebay and treated pine sleepers from Bunnies. It cost around $190 all up. I bolted the shell to the trolly for transport and it certainly went nowhere during the trip.

The blaster did the whole job at his workshop by lifting each end of the shell in turn. The painter got to the bottom of the pan by holding the shell up sideways with an engine hoist. He was wrapped by the idea of being able to easily move the whole mess around his workshop, including in and out of the paint booth.

The grey paint inside is indeed two pack as it extends to the exposed surfaces of the doors and the yet to be fitted dash. Painting the floor was probably a little OTT but while he had paint in the gun....

I will probably want to get rid of the trolly later in the year when the suspension goes back in. The price will be free to good home.