2008 308 HDI 2.0L - black smoke when accelerating

hophead

Tadpole
Hey all.

As title says, my 2008 pug 308 2L hdi auto is puffing out bit of black smoke when accelerating. Not huge amounts but enough to notice it when following. 121k on the odo and a good service history. Read this can be caused by a blown turbo but power seems perfectly fine.

Short of getting it looked at, where should I start in the diagnostic process? Any other common causes?

Cheers

All diesels run rich when accelerating. The job of the filter system is to catch the unburnt fuel soot. When the filter internal pressure rises sufficiently the computer will alter combustion to burn it off. The catalyst charge is to aid that. It could be one of several things, so I think an error code check is called for.

First place to look at is the air intake system and filter. A blocked filter or tract in a diesel will produce volumes of black smoke. Black smoke could also be caused by a partially blocked particulate filter. A 100 km total run up the highway and back at 100 km/h should quickly unblock the dpf.

A regen doesn't even need high speeds. An uninterrupted 20 minute run (motorway) will suffice. However a simple FAP blockage from overdue regeneration in a Peugeot produces an error message on the dashboard and throws an error code.

Thanks all.. I'll start with checking out the air intake / filter I guess. No errors on the dash and it does frequently get driven up the highway for decent streches.

What tool do I need to interrogate engine errors?

A simple generic OBD code reader will get error codes. To get detailed sensor info you will need Diagbox on a Win laptop.

Took me a few months of "semi country" driving to get rid of the occasional rear end puff of black in my my HDi 407SV estate. That said, I haven't seen anything similar now for several years. Try a good "country run" and if it doesn't clear , then check your codes.

Thanks all - good food for thought.

What is the difference between using a generic OBD code reader and a PP2000 Lexia 3?

See my post above. PP/Lexia are replaced by Diagbox.

Simple OBD error codes may often be sufficient to diagnose a problem, but they cannot recover the sensor data held in the computers.

Hi All

Just an update (I know its been a while). Issue is still occurring, no better, no worse.

1. I did a good 400km highway run a few weeks ago
  2. Have checked air intake up-to air filter ingress point, and all is clear. Air filter itself looks OK, but have a new one on order just to be sure - ETA 1 week.
  3. Purchased an interface cable/Diagbox thing. After much mucking around, got it working. Things of note:
    1. P1351 - Pre-Heating Relay Circuit
    2. F5FF - Unexpected reinitialisation fault coming from the BSI
    3. Info - DFP has 18g of soot and did a regen 350km ago
    4. Info - Elosys tank is 51% full (I know this is calculated only, should be visually inspected. Just not sure where to look exactly.

Not sure if P1351 would be related to this issue, I'd say not, research indicates as long as 3/4 glow-plugs are functional the DPG regen still occurs. And the log also indicates it is occurring.

Any thoughts?

Appreciate the help

Cheers

Stew

Sometimes you can get excess black smoke if there is a split turbo air hose, so check them carefully. Perhaps, test the vacuum hoses are holding a vacuum in case you have low boost due to the common split y-piece or a leaky diaphragm in the air mixer/doser valve at the front? The EGR valves don't last forever either.

Sometimes you can get excess black smoke if there is a split turbo air hose, so check them carefully. Perhaps, test the vacuum hoses are holding a vacuum in case you have low boost due to the common split y-piece or a leaky diaphragm in the air mixer/doser valve at the front? The EGR valves don't last forever either.

Thanks David

I remember reading about the split vacuum tubes being a problem - any pointers on locating this (and the turbo hoses in question?)?

Cheers

Thanks David

Confirmed the y-piece is intact.

All air hoses that I can see look OK (that is, air intake -> filter, filter -> rear of engine -> no visibility as it loops into the turbo down the back and into the intercooler (so unsure about that) -> intercooler to engine OK).

Hopefully the new air filter arrives soon

Hi Hophead, how did you get on?

I have the same vehicle except approx 152K, my wife says she occasionally sees black smoke coming up our hill but I haven't (yet)

I'm in for a timing belt, oil/filter change and scan in a few weeks. I should check the air filter too...

P1351 almost certainly a glow plug

Hi Xlink

New air filter did not resolve the issue. I popped the P1531 code into ServiceBox the other day and sure enough there was an article describing one of three symptoms being excessive exhaust smoke. I coughed up the 7 euro for an hour of full access and did some further research. They say check all 4 glow plugs and replace where faulty to address P1531. I then proceeded to read about the glow plugs and 3 different states they are used in. Just doesn't make sense that, when the engine is all warmed up, and technically the glow plugs are not being used, it would contribute to this problem. Really at a bit of a loss.

You most likely have an intake leak get a mechanic with a smoke machine and check it over common to split on the runners where they go into the head round seals

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Or you can CAREFULLY play the gas from an UNLIT propane torch nozzle (using a light flow) over suspected areas with the car idling and it should speed up if there's a leak.

You most likely have an intake leak get a mechanic with a smoke machine and check it over common to split on the runners where they go into the head round seals

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time
I think this could be your answer.

Hi Xlink

New air filter did not resolve the issue. I popped the P1531 code into ServiceBox the other day and sure enough there was an article describing one of three symptoms being excessive exhaust smoke. I coughed up the 7 euro for an hour of full access and did some further research. They say check all 4 glow plugs and replace where faulty to address P1531. I then proceeded to read about the glow plugs and 3 different states they are used in. Just doesn't make sense that, when the engine is all warmed up, and technically the glow plugs are not being used, it would contribute to this problem. Really at a bit of a loss.

Hi again

I just had a cambelt and water pump replaced so I also asked then to check for black smoke nmy wife reported

They said there is black smoke under load. They feel this is related to code P0088 (Fuel pressure to high at rail). They also said there is a known Peugeot workshop bulletin on the solonoid that is part of fuel pump pressure regulator being not woring correctly and suggested this is where they would start

Note we also have code P1351. It seems 3 of 4 glow plugs are dead but they said don't worry about it despite them apparently playing a part in the DPF cycle

How have you got on?