C5 power down
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: C5 power down

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 power down

My first post since purchasing a lovely 2007 C5 2.0Hdi (thanks WRB!):

Since an oil and filter change (yes it's the correct oil), the motor just seems to lack the same punch, but it's still perfectly drivable. I reset the service interval thing in the instrument panel but didn't do anything else - is it possible this car has gone into some kind of 'slow and steady' mode simply as a result of an oil change?

I don't yet have a Lexia type system to plug into it (thinking the one from Germany might be the one to get) but so far as I can tell there are no warnings or signs that it is not operating normally other than the loss of power.

Advertisement

Advice, other than "take it to a dealer", would be much appreciated!

Geoff
    Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

2009 Peugeot 407 HDi Sedan
    2007 Citroen C5 HDi Wagon
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi
    1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    *non-sequitur - 1951 Hudson Pacemaker brush-painted matt black shortly to be converted to electric!

Fellow Frogger

There are vacuum pipes down the front of the engine and there is a Y-piece in the bundle that can crack. Start there. Have a look at those or do a vacuum leakdown test if the problem arose just after the oil change, the filter being down the front of the engine. It's a very common issue with the 6 speed 2.0Hdi C5 with the DW10B engine. The car will feel gutless and usually declines to change up to top gear. A few bits of rubber tube and a washer hose Y or T-piece would fix it.
    Last edited by David S; 30th September 2014 at 12:29 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Do you mean this little fella?

C5 power down-img_1806.jpg
    Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi
    1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    *non-sequitur - 1951 Hudson Pacemaker brush-painted matt black shortly to be converted to electric!

Fellow Frogger!

My 03 c5 petrol had a similar issue. After replacing the water pump (was working but sounded like the bearing was starting to go just before I changed it), back to normal. No errors or anything, just really sluggish but perfectly driveable. Also changed timing belt at the same time but belt looked pretty good before I removed it so guessing water pump was the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    There are vacuum pipes down the front of the engine and there is a Y-piece in the bundle that can crack. Start there. Have a look at those or do a vacuum leakdown test if the problem arose just after the oil change, the filter being down the front of the engine. It's a very common issue with the 6 speed 2.0Hdi C5 with the DW12B engine. The car will feel gutless and usually declines to change up to top gear. A few bits of rubber tube and a washer hose Y or T-piece would fix it.
    Does this apply to the 2.0 L HDi diesel too David? My 2002 C5 regularly runs in sluggish mode on a cold start but if I allow it to warm up for 5 minutes before driving is as good as gold. This problem only started after a service which included an oil and filter change.

SF

Fellow Frogger!

Well after David's suggestion I found that white plastic 'Y' piece was not only cracked, as soon as I touched it the thing fell apart. What a diabolical little piece of Italian rubbish. With judicious use of a 4mm drill bit and a heat gun I managed to get the remnant barbs out of the nasty little hard plastic vacuum tubes without causing further leaks. Down to the local hardware shop for a little garden 'T' piece and hey viola!
    C5 power down-img_1821.jpg
    I cleaned up the intake gadgetry/butterfly etc. whilst at it, and the car now pulls like a train.
    All praise to David S, may peace be upon him!!!

Geoff
    Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi
    1997 Toyota Hilux Surf

Fellow Frogger

That's a very neat job. Well done. Not exactly an expensive repair and a major improvement.

This only affects the DW10B 2.0HDi in C5,C4 and Picassso models with RHR in the VIN. So, no it will not be your issue Scotfrog.

Edit: The vacuum hose set looks something like this, with the white y-piece being near the middle.

C5 power down-hdivac1s.jpg C5 power down-hdivac2s.jpg

Same issue on a 307 with the DW10B / RHR engine here:
    307 HDi 2.0l Lack of power - Turbo fault code P2562 P0299
    Last edited by David S; 18th December 2015 at 12:42 AM.

1000+ Posts

These gas fittings are available in brass:
    C5 power down-tee.png

Thread Information