2001 Peugeot 406 D9 Engine Vibration

My mate has a chain block but I think, as we have the gearbox loose, we could be past the point of no return.

My mate has a chain block but I think, as we have the gearbox loose, we could be past the point of no return.
I'm not so sure of that, all you would need to do is replace some of the bolts that hold the bell housing to the motor.

Would just need to work out which would be quicker time wise because you will need to drop the cooling water, remove the air-con pump and disconnect all the cables and lines for fuel system and cooling system.

Thanks for the advice. We will have to give this some thought.

So, if we swivel the gear box towards the front and remove it that way, I'm wondering what other steps we would have to take. The driver side anti torque thing I suppose would have to be removed, as it isn't really meant to flex sideways. I'm also wondering about AC and power steering hoses.

I have pulled many 406 gearboxes (auto and manual) out without touching/moving the subframe. You just need to be able to swing the gearbox foward to clear the offending subframe which what removing the lower stabiliser allows... rotating the gearbox bellhousing also helps where necessary. Some seem to come out easily, others need more wiggle.
Just move the pipes out of the way.

Thanks Will. That's the approach we'll use today. Just to clarify, we are taking the gearbox and bell housing out as one unit.

Progress, sort of. Looking back, we sorta painted ourselves into a corner when we half unscrewed the left hand engine mount stud. The front rail stops us unscrewing it all the way. I'm told it is possible to remove the gear box with the stud in place, but we've found that difficult on the garage floor, etc and now the stud is more in the way than it was before.

To be honest, Haynes advises removing the stud, but we both missed this when reading the manual. Had we removed the stud at the outset, the gearbox would've been out long ago.

The problem we now have is that with the stud half out, the gear box won't back onto the engine, nor will it come any further out. Yikes!

Unscrewing the stud wasn't that hard, but screwing it back in is, to the point where I'm not game to use too much force for fear of braking the gear box casting.

One solution is to persevere and try rotating the gear box so that the stud is lower than the chassis rail, and the gear box can come out. Second option is to cut off the stud, leaving sufficient still projecting to enable removal when the gear box is out, and then obtain another stud. The problem with obtaining another stud is that none of the wreckers seem to have any BE4V gear boxes or studs. Peugeot Australia don't have any. I was told by one wrecker that they have been heard of to break, but most 406s were automatics and because the wrecker I spoke to says there really isn't much demand for 406 manual gearboxes, they don't keep them.

Does anyone out there have one of those studs?

I've had a good night's sleep and am keeping away from that car today, and plan to attack again tomorrow.

It's very frustrating that I missed the Haynes instruction to remove the left hand mounting stud. Still, we live and learn.

Any suggestions would be welcome! Anyone got a spare BE4 stud?

I will have a stud. Just trying to visualise where it is on the assembly? All my 406's are fully together and I cant see what stud you are referring to as there is too much stuff above the gearbox in the way...

Okay. The stud is part of the left hand engine/gearbox mount. It is located directly behind the battery. From above, it can be seen protruding through the rubber mount. It descends, and screws into and towards the end of the gearbox. My 406 is a 2001 petrol with a BE4V gearbox. The diesel 406 D9 auto I have for spares, has a different stud. Wouldn't you know it! I could post a photo of it tomorrow if necessary.

Ok, mine are all diesel and manual. Dont know why I assumed yours was diesel... will check in the morning what the stud in mine are and post up what I have. Supposed to have a good frost tonight and is already quite chilly outside... 9degreesC...

Thank you. What part of NZ do you live? My dad was from Greenlane, Auckland.

Does the stud screw into the box or is it mounted on a plate bolted to the box ?
V6 406 mounts both manual and auto have the stud mounted on a plate
Unbolt the plate from the box

Is this like yours peter?…him

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 45
Hi Jim. It looks like it, although mine is bolted directly into the box rather than a plate.

Does the stud screw into the box or is it mounted on a plate bolted to the box ?
V6 406 mounts both manual and auto have the stud mounted on a plate
Unbolt the plate from the box
I wish Peugeot had all the studs attached by a plate. We'll see what happens tomorrow. My mate had a chat with an experienced person today so all could go well.

Ok, stud on hdi box is the same as dacia4x4 posted, has plate at base. There is a possibility it would fit your car.