2001 Peugeot 406 D9 Engine Vibration

Assuming I do the clutch swap, it will be a good opportunity to renew the rear crankshaft, which drips a bit, and renew the speedo drive.

I'm trying to convince myself that all this will be a fun thing to do.

Thanks for the advice. A friend has offered me the use of his garage which will help a lot, particularly with the dodgy weather.

Well, folks. I drove the poor old 406 over to my mates place and made a start on the clutch job. Already, this is turning out to be a smorgasbord of fun. Being very familiar with 504s, well, I was a couple of decades ago, has not helped me one little bit with the 406. Just like the 406 fuel tank renewal, the same job on a 504 is much the same experience as laying back on a banana lounge, with a sunhat and sun screen on, sipping on one of those drinks that customarily come in a conical glass festooned with a little umbrella. Festooned? Adorned? Bedecked? Well, whatever. Anyway, I think you catch my drift.

On an assembly line, I can imagine that it is quicker and easier to have the engine, transmission and front suspension in one job lot that can be shoved in from under the body shell. When it comes to removing the gearbox (and clutch) from a 406, the one job lot advantage thing is, well, kinda not there. There is all sorts of mechanical stuff going on. All sorts of stuff that would be easier to tackle if we had a two post hoist.

Thankfully, mate's wife made sure we were hydrated and fed, and believe me, these rest stops were savoured and relished with abandon. In my case, I almost broke into song with my rendition of "Oh What A Beautiful Morning", or possibly "This Is The Moment" from Jeckyll and Hyde. I was able to deny myself the pleasure of this, which the neighbours would've also been grateful for my denial had they experienced my angelic yodellings. It's an older area demographic so maybe they a bit deaf anyway.

So far, we've removed the inner wheel arches (not difficult) removed and tucked out of harms way the ABS sensor thingos, taken the virtually new Century battery out, undone the lower control arm ball joints plus a few other things.

Before leaving mate's place this arvo to catch the bus home (luckily, there is a bus stop 500m from my front door) I asked him if he thought w might have the clutch done and dusted by Christmas. It was only later when being transported on the bus with some noisy, grotty school kids that it occurred to me that he might have thought I was kidding. Hmm.

seriously even a first time the engine and box out in one piece should be about 90 mins
If you've got the right tools and know how to use them - I think you've forgotten just how much time the amateur takes assessing each step, working out how to do each step, not knowing how much force to use (for fear of breaking something etc.).

It's taking me about that long to get lower control arms out (each side). Not attempting ball joints until the special tool arrives towards the end of next week (hopefully).

Yep, all the right tools, youth (one of us is somewhere north of 80), ill health on my part, a hoist would be great, fear of wrecking something, lack of familiarity etc, etc. Most of my experience has been on 504s and there was a time when I could do most tasks on one in reasonably quick time, and I didn't have to think much about what I was doing.

I greatly admire professional mechanics who can efficiently work on whatever fronts up, and get it right every time.

Anyway, friend and I have progressed. I'm thinking that taking the whole engine and gearbox out would almost have been be easier. On the other hand, always trust Haynes.

For several reasons, it took me a long time to do the fuel pump swap on this car a while back. Now, I could easily do it in a morning while taking half the morning out to discuss with my ex-partner the value, desirability and wisdom of common decency and integrity.

Although I don't do so much these days, I enjoy writing enormously and I sometimes like writing in a somewhat humorous manner. Any PCCV members with a very, very long memory might remember the odd humorous article I've written about me working on cars which may make me look like a dill. I could have written about most jobs, the ones that go well, but where's the fun in that? I've had good feedback about those articles and that has been the aim - to give people something enjoyable to read once in a very far apart, blue moon.

The very few threads I've started on AF have been to seek info and I've been extremely grateful for the advice, both written and practical that I've received. Another is that someone, somewhere down the track may have the same problem and reading about me stuffing around, solving the problem and learning from the experience, could help them.

AF has been one of my go to positive outlets. Trust me when I say that there have been plenty of times when I've needed something positive, anything positive.

Let's just keep everything in perspective, folks.

Last edited:
Why renew the snout?
I think 'snout' meant the 'guide tube', which is what the release bearing slides back/forward on. It's inexpensive and bolts on the front of the gearbox so a good idea to change it while you have access. Do you have a manual explaining the steps or are you flying a little blind here?

Do you torch through the exhaust and driveshafts :ROFLMAO:
Likely needs to borrow this from you after you have finishing gutting that ID19 ...

1686038623044.png

We are going by the Haynes manual, which we both find a bit to follow sometimes. I reckon it'd almost be easier to fly blind.

Removing the hubs from the drive shafts was more difficult than expected. After mucking around for quite a while the solution was via a slightly modified bearing puller. Next time, it'd be done in minutes.

Yep, all the right tools, youth (one of us is somewhere north of 80), ill health on my part, a hoist would be great, fear of wrecking something, lack of familiarity etc, etc. Most of my experience has been on 504s and there was a time when I could do most tasks on one in reasonably quick time, and I didn't have to think much about what I was doing.

I greatly admire professional mechanics who can efficiently work on whatever fronts up, and get it right every time.

Anyway, friend and I have progressed. I'm thinking that taking the whole engine and gearbox out would almost have been be easier. On the other hand, always trust Haynes.

For several reasons, it took me a long time to do the fuel pump swap on this car a while back. Now, I could easily do it in a morning while taking half the morning out to discuss with my ex-partner the value, desirability and wisdom of common decency and integrity.

Although I don't do so much these days, I enjoy writing enormously and I sometimes like writing in a somewhat humorous manner. Any PCCV members with a very, very long memory might remember the odd humorous article I've written about me working on cars which may make me look like a dill. I could have written about most jobs, the ones that go well, but where's the fun in that? I've had good feedback about those articles and that has been the aim - to give people something enjoyable to read once in a very far apart, blue moon.

The very few threads I've started on AF have been to seek info and I've been extremely grateful for the advice, both written and practical that I've received. Another is that someone, somewhere down the track may have the same problem and reading about me stuffing around, solving the problem and learning from the experience, could help them.

AF has been one of my go to positive outlets. Trust me when I say that there have been plenty of times when I've needed something positive, anything positive.

I do admire you taking on this job in your senior years, I look at working on cars whether necessary or for enjoyment is to save yourself money. It doesn't matter how long it takes to do the job, I have had some jobs that should of been done in ten minutes take an hour or more and other jobs that look like they are going to take all day done in no time at all. I think as long as you enjoy the journey and the company of your friend and get the clutch changed and the vibration fixed is all that really matters.

Keep up the good work (y)

Take as long as you need Peter! The exhaust manifold bolts are probably the most fiddly part of the process, followed by the hockey stick bolts holding the driveshaft in on a D8. On a D9, they use an improved arrangement and are really easy to remove.

I never get irritated by amateurs taking a long time. What does annoy me is professional workshops claiming 20+ hours for this type of job. With the right tools and even basic mechanical aptitude, there is absolutely no way to justify that sort of money.

It sounds to me like you desperately need a hoist ... Go for it! You'll wish you had done it 20years ago!

Mate, i don't even have a garage! I'd be out on the gravel driveway except for my friend throwing open the door of his garage, and lending a hand.

The current problem is that although gearbox is about 1 inch away from the engine (I can see the ring gear), how do you get it to clear obstructions to remove completely?

Have you released the lower engine stabliser? This will allow you to swing the motor/gearbox foward at the bottom to allow the gearbox to clear the crossmember as you separate the gearbox from the engine. You also need to be able to adjust the height of the gearbox side of the motor to aid removal.

Oh, right! I haven't released the lower engine stabiliser. This makes sense. I don't think Haynes mentions that. For the life of me, I couldn't work how on earth the gearbox would clear obstructions other than raising the car more, and tilting the engine at a greater angle. . My mate is not free today so I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Thank you

I've just watched a YouTube clip where they removed the engine sub frame. Seems like a lot of work. There could be more than one way to skin a cat.

If you have an engine crane available, removing the whole powerplant is by far the easiest solution.