1968 404 injection

Okay, this tells us certain things. I'm not very familiar with it but it could mean "1800, 504, 1969> This, however, is not the engine number. There should be a machined boss on the passenger side of the engine block near the the engine mount on the same side. They are often very greasy and dirty which means that the numbers may not be apparent.

You are right Peter. Completely covered in oil. A very different number!

Attachments

• 20200603_173943_resized.jpg
    20200603_173943_resized.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 138
You are right Peter. Completely covered in oil. A very different number!

A 1968 404 will have an engine number starting with 508 or 509. This is a 1969 KF6 engine dropped into a 404, quite possibly never ran with his engine. Rocker cover should be the same as other engines but you need the rubber tubes over the two retaining bolts, these are oil seals, without them the oil will leak out of the joins between the mounting structures welded to the cover and the cover.

Thanks Graham. Tracked a cover so hopefully has rubbers. We will see when it arrives. I am beginning to think it hasn't run with this as there is no fixings for the air filter box, which should go where the battery currently is. Time will tell. One step at a time! 🙂

So I should pay more attention! I know it has a 504 injection engine but apparently it was a 404 injection originally!

Attachments

• 20200607_140203_resized.jpg
    20200607_140203_resized.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 129
Well....

That badge is in the wrong side of the car - it should be on the left side.

There were a few series of 404 special serial numbers that identify original factory Injection sedans, as follows:

4550052 through 4590000 (1963-1965 models)
8200001 through 8250000 (1966-1968 models)
8300001 through 8303245 (late 1968 models)

The VIN of your car is definitely that of a carbureted version.

I once added an Injection badge to a 404 that was originally carbureted. Its VIN was 4326224, and I had installed the engine of 6800274, a wrecked Cabriolet from Canada. I expect that's what happened to this one - when the KF6 was installed the Injection badge was quite properly added by the owner.

Last edited:
It was brobably known to be a good running motor when installed. You need to check the fuel feed pump at the rear is installed and working and that a return line to the tank has been fitted. The original tank will not have a pipe for this . When I fitted a 2 L injection motor to a 404 I ran the return line into the rubber filler neck of the tank with thin rubber tube through the neck and sealed with some kind of sealant .There are probably better ways of doing it. You need to find an air cleaner that can be fitted to the end of the air intake .You cant use an oil bath . I think I used one from a Renault model. Good luck

At least on 2L 504 Tis, the fuel line and return line are larger in diameter than the carby lines. I seem to remember that they are the same part number as the fuel line/s on the diesel 504. As this engine has, apparently, not run in this car before, there could be a number of parts missing. There's plenty of 504 Ti parts around and this should help.

Thanks all. These are good incites which will be a big help! Some work on fuel lines has already been done so that explains that. Is the kugelfischer pump the same for the 404 and 504 as I have 2 404 pumps, which look the same apart from the manifold

The KF2 and KF6 differ in a few ways, such as the bore of the pump pistons. What's the number on the pump body? The 404 KF2 is PL-004.104.02

The latter two are from a KF2 engine. So you can't use them on the 1.8 engine. Trivia: the 1.8L injection head is the same as the KF2, so you could put it on a 1.6 if it turns out the two KF2 pumps are OK but the one on the 1.8 is shot. But then you'd need a lot more hardware to make up a proper KF2 as the plumbing and intake manifold is totally different.

The latter two are from a KF2 engine. So you can't use them on the 1.8 engine. Trivia: the 1.8L injection head is the same as the KF2, so you could put it on a 1.6 if it turns out the two KF2 pumps are OK but the one on the 1.8 is shot. But then you'd need a lot more hardware to make up a proper KF2 as the plumbing and intake manifold is totally different.
Thanks again Mike. You are a font of knowledge. Hopefully the 1.8 is good. I have a spare head too so plenty of bits to choose from.

PM me your email address and I'll send the KF pump parts manual pdf to you. Also, here's a screen shot of the KF2 throttle body arrangement.
KF2.jpg

It was brobably known to be a good running motor when installed. You need to check the fuel feed pump at the rear is installed and working and that a return line to the tank has been fitted. The original tank will not have a pipe for this . When I fitted a 2 L injection motor to a 404 I ran the return line into the rubber filler neck of the tank with thin rubber tube through the neck and sealed with some kind of sealant .There are probably better ways of doing it. You need to find an air cleaner that can be fitted to the end of the air intake .You cant use an oil bath . I think I used one from a Renault model. Good luck
Hi Julian,

I just noticed you said I can't use an oil bath air filter. Whats the reasoning for this? There is lots of conversation about this on this website and others that suggest the oil bath is better than a paper filter. I have the original 504 one, which is oil bath and was going to put that in.

You can definitely use an oil bath on any Peugeot injected engine - export KF2 models all had oil bath filters. I changed mine for a European model dry element with cold air intake. Buy a bent-angle metal motorcycle tire valve and use that to mount the return line to the rubber fuel filler - bolted right through the rubber and aiming down into the tank.