1925 Citroen 5CV

I have just ordered a complete gasket kit for the motor and gearbox, from Paris, seals and all.
I actually found an English conversion of the online French 5hp manual.
An interesting part was, "the crankshaft and flywheel were not balanced before assembly". Followed by, if you are pulling the motor apart, make sure you get the crank and flywheel balanced, it will make the motor smoother.

French should not be a problem if you locate 5CV information. Any PDF with normal text (not text in an image) can be reasonably well translated by https://translate.google.com.au/?sl=auto&tl=en&op=docs

Select the document tab.

Websites can be converted into printable format by most browsers, and then "printed" to pdf, ie saved in pdf format on your computer. Some browsers, eg Vivaldi, will translate the site as soon as you visit.

I answered your question Ron but it did not come up, the edge of the front main bearing, there is a rough surface, this is the give away, the shaft is ground under size then built up with hard chrome then ground to required size, common practice to reclaim shafts in the power steering business.

That used to be the norm if you had an early OHV Morris Minor.

I answered your question Ron but it did not come up, the edge of the front main bearing, there is a rough surface, this is the give away, the shaft is ground under size then built up with hard chrome then ground to required size, common practice to reclaim shafts in the power steering business.
David, do they do that instead of using an oil seal ?
The 5CV use brass bearings front and rear.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I found it! The seal is at the back of the tiny oil pump. (photo attached of a second hand unit)
This is the last thing at the rear of the motor.
An a week or so, all the engine gaskets should arrive.
Then, If I get a sudden burst of energy, I'll remove the motor and fix the problem. :p
:rolleyes:

Attachments

• rear seal.png
    rear seal.png
    816.6 KB · Views: 104
French should not be a problem if you locate 5CV information. Any PDF with normal text (not text in an image) can be reasonably well translated by https://translate.google.com.au/?sl=auto&tl=en&op=docs

Select the document tab.

Websites can be converted into printable format by most browsers, and then "printed" to pdf, ie saved in pdf format on your computer. Some browsers, eg Vivaldi, will translate the site as soon as you visit.
Many thanks for that. It works, I can read Depanoto in Engrish :love:

Hello Ron, I have been watching your progress and congratulations on a good job. I am in Melbourne and understand there are several 5CV owners independently looking to re-create the first circumnavigation in 2025. Do you think it would be a good idea to get all interested parties together here on Aussiefrogs to establish a co-ordinated event ? Depends if you are interested in this celebration or not. Ted Cross Melbourne CCOCA past president. 0400592208

Hello Ron, I have been watching your progress and congratulations on a good job. I am in Melbourne and understand there are several 5CV owners independently looking to re-create the first circumnavigation in 2025. Do you think it would be a good idea to get all interested parties together here on Aussiefrogs to establish a co-ordinated event ? Depends if you are interested in this celebration or not. Ted Cross Melbourne CCOCA past president. 0400592208
Hi Ted, yes it could be a good idea.

Ok I will try and reach some other prospects and see if we can get a consensus of how to go about this.
Ted, first, contact Gary Harrowfield, on 0418 508 244. He is part of a team the are going to re-enact the 1925 Trip. He is also looking to purchase a 5CV for that trip.

I drive the B2 Citroen into town when the weather is good. The brakes are excellent for this small car.
I use the method of pulling the "handbrake" to slow down and as I do this, I already have my foot on the brake pedal ( transmission drum brake ) to bring the B2 to a stop.
This works well and doesn't put too much stress on the "drive - line".
Brother John's B2 has the brake handle and pedal swapped around.
You still need to use both systems, as to use just the one when stopping would put to much load on either the rear brakes or transmission drum brake.
The universal joint on the rear of the gearbox is a flexible canvas type so with heavy use it would need more maintenance.
Ofcourse it doesn't have the luxury of front wheel brakes, and hydraulic brakes were something of the future.
Michael
Michael,

Could you possibly find out for me, how your Brother John's car, had the foot brake transferred to the rear brakes?
I need to doo that to my 5CV. I remember my old man did it to the 5CV buckboard on the farm. Can't ask him now, he has been dead for a decade. Photos would be a great help.

Regards,
Ron

Just went there using Vivaldi. There are 14 pages with 4 or 5 small photos per page. They have an arrow to proceed to next or previous.

Just went there using Vivaldi. There are 14 pages with 4 or 5 small photos per page. They have an arrow to proceed to next or previous.
Yes I did later find a way to see the pics. No change in braking system.

Michael,

Could you possibly find out for me, how your Brother John's car, had the foot brake transferred to the rear brakes?
I need to doo that to my 5CV. I remember my old man did it to the 5CV buckboard on the farm. Can't ask him now, he has been dead for a decade. Photos would be a great help.

Regards,
Ron
By the pic you can see that there is a small rod with wing nut to the transmission drum linkage at the bell housing where I have removed the small cover plate.

The foot brake shaft goes from the right to the left and links to the rod going to the back of the car.

Hope this helps.

1923 B2 - - John

Attachments

• B2-3.jpg
    B2-3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 85
  • B2-6.jpg
    B2-6.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 80
  • B2-8.jpg
    B2-8.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 77