1925 Citroen 5CV

What we called in the Army, a first parade service. Not that everyone did it in so much detail :cool:
We had forklift checklists that the operators called a "tick and flick". The reality was, if it moved it was considered "fit for service".🤷‍♂️

Looks more like an aeroplane pilots check list to me. It must not have any or just the very basic warning lights on the dash. Perhaps you could add Registration Status to that list too. You probably test most of the list just driving it up the drive to the street anyway.

Cheers, Ken

Hi guys,

The 5CV that I bought, is now safe and sound in Brisbane. It survived the long trip from Renmark to Moss Vale, then Moss Vale to Brisbane in very heavy rain.
Last time I drove a 5CV was when I was 16 tears old.
Now that I'm 72, I have discovered that things are not the same.
I cannot get in the drivers side door like I could as a kid. Have to get in the passenger side and slide across :rolleyes:

I'm missing a part that maybe very hard to find, a speedo cable. The speedo is driven by a couple of cogs on the front wheel. I will probably have to get one made for it.
Anyone have any ideas?

Some pictures of the transfer.
First is loading up at Renmark, then me lashing it down on my trailer in Moss Vale, NSW, and the car itself.

Regards,
Ron
I'm missing a part that maybe very hard to find, a speedo cable.
Flexidrive at Coopers Plains will make you a speedo cable to your design pronto. Cheers.

I can do one better than that. Just took a photo of it. The fact that the needle is below the stop, it doesn't give me a warm feeling about it's condition. The guy I bought it from said it had done 48,000miles. Speedo doesn't reflect that.
For speedo repairs see Lionel Otto Instruments, Evans Road Salisbury, Brisbane. Been there for centuries or so, they'll test and repair.

For speedo repairs see Lionel Otto Instruments, Evans Road Salisbury, Brisbane. Been there for centuries or so, they'll test and repair.
Thanks, mate. I'm try and take it in tomorrow or Tuesday. Eventually got it out of the car. It turns and the needle moves, so that is a start. :)

Attachments

• wheel cap.jpg
    wheel cap.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Citroen original.jpg
    Citroen original.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 94
I suppose the calibration of the speedo needle would be set by the rate at which the odo clocks over. seeing it is geared off the cable. I would suppose the odo is set to record miles so the speedo would read miles per hour.

Cheers, Ken

I suppose the calibration of the speedo needle would be set by the rate at which the odo clocks over. seeing it is geared off the cable. I would suppose the odo is set to record miles so the speedo would read miles per hour.

Cheers, Ken
Sure is MPH

This is the Corbin Speedometer. It is very solid and quite heavy. The outer chrome ring and glass slides over the body of the unit. To fit it in the dash, the speedo is pushed in from behind the dash, then the ring and glass, pushed in from the front. It has a solid steel bracket to hold it in place. The brass button on the side is pushed in to reset the trip meter. Sorry about the pictures, they are a bit blurry.

Attachments

• Corbin 01.jpg
    Corbin 01.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Corbin 02.jpg
    Corbin 02.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Corbin 03.jpg
    Corbin 03.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 93
  • Corbin 04.jpg
    Corbin 04.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 91
I believe all Corbin speedos are calibrated at 2560 cable rpm = 60 mph.
Your gear drive at the wheel should be in the range of 3.6 to 1 for your size tyres (assuming you still have the 715 tyres on it).

Took the speedo in to Lionel Otto's. They no longer do pre WW2 speedos, but John, tested this one and believes he maybe able to repair it. BTW, John also makes speedo cables, so I'm going to give him the wheel drive unit and measure what length it needs to be. :cool:

Cheers, Ken
John was saying it is a complex speedo, but very efficient. There is a governor inside with springs attached, that spins up to 2000rpm.

Hi guys, I'm a little puzzled. I have been looking at engine diagrams, apare parts catalogs, and I cannot find any reference to crank shaft oil seals on the 5CV engine?
The only thing I have seen is an oil thrower. A gear that pushes oils back into the crank case, until you stop the engine. Then it dribbles on the floor. :rolleyes::(

I found this while looking. You may have it already, otherwise here it is

Sorry I mucked up the attachment. Too big also
It was "Guide de l'Amicaliste 5HP" Yell if you want it.

Attachments

• New_installation_requirements_of_temperature_control_devices.pdf
    366.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I found this while looking. You may have it already, otherwise here it is

Sorry I mucked up the attachment. Too big also
It was "Guide de l'Amicaliste 5HP" Yell if you want it.
Many thank. I looked that up and it is similar to the workshop manual that I have. Also in French :rolleyes: