604...is it the coolest euro ever made...

On the subject of 6.3L MB300SELs being cool or not I think it comes down to colour and condition. Perhaps give me a white 300 with the 3.5L V8 engine and the Americana headlights. Sedan, coupe or convertible.

When Lorbeks were still in Fairfield, Melbourne (where 3 Point Motors are now in Heidelberg Road) they had at one stage a black 6.3 which I took for a test drive. Back then it was as traded, about $10k, don't remember it being anywhere near the immaculate condition that Lorbek normally stocks. Thinking back I can remember the Eastern Freeway so probably took Chandler Highway, E Fwy exit and would have doubled back along the Eastern Freeway to the showroom. I can remember putting my foot into it but to be honest it didn't feel or sound fast.

Just wondering if I should have made more of a career out of test driving cars or being a tyre kicker :D. Lorbek had a Porsche 944 Turbo there at one stage. For that test drive forgot about the E Freeway and concentrated on the Kew Boulevard :mad:. Perhaps this 944 Turbo had some borrowed parts from an early swing axle VW. That's how IT felt!

My dad was good mates with him when he was in fairfield??( I always remember it as part of collingwood..or even richmond...) he bought a couple of cars from him...funny you should mention the 6.3...as he did take my dad to lunch with a 6.9 (w116)...my dad ended up buying a white 280se...it was absolutely immaculate and we used it when I got tied to the ball and chain...Lorbek was great in the early days (I m sure they still are) as it was one of the few places in melbourne that specialized with European stuff...

as for the 3.5 with americana lights...yeahhh...they are a sweet thing...none of the monumentality of a 6.3 or a grosser...and it shows in the stance and visual weighing...I still very much regret not buying an ice blue one with a minor engine fire... the ivory interior was to die for...cool..yes..very much so...uber cool like the 604...no...:cry:

as for the 944...no...they do nothing for me...I think they can be made to be cool...yes...even very cool...but this isnt about modifying genetic material...a car is either cool or it isnt... a merc 6.3 is...a 944 isnt..simple... :D

:cheers:

dino

ps..Kew boulevard was cool...back in the days,...but then the silly bike riders killed it for everybody...cafe racers who wouldnt know one end of the bike from another destroying machines and lifes... they changed the road to much..now its just another road (still a few lengths one can hit hard but gone is the circuit)

Last edited:
dino

ps..Kew boulevard was cool...back in the days,...but then the silly bike riders killed it for everybody...cafe racers who wouldnt know one end of the bike from another destroying machines and lifes... they changed the road to much..now its just another road (still a few lengths one can hit hard but gone is the circuit)

I remember it very fondly, we had a fair few sessions down there (in both sence of the word) and were pretty luckly a RX2 or RX3 never ended up in the river. Not that I ever saw it I was always first in my 929 RX4 look-a-like:D

Sunbeam Tiger, and
Karmann Ghia.

Mel Brookes certainly knew a cool car when he saw one.

The Karmann is cool in a very similar way to the coolest of all, the Renault Floride.

I'll, i'll buy a scratchy. And scratch and send the person who can tell me why Lorbek at their current location down the end of Plummer St Port Melbourne... why are ALL Lorbeks many cars there unreg'd.
Does he buy them unregistered. Is there some ploy in selling them unregistered. Half the nett proceeeds
of a scratched $2 scratchy on offer!

Dino... Lorbek did have some very sweet cars at Fairfield in that period. Some really mint 1984 area 380 Benzes come to mind.

I'll, i'll buy a scratchy. And scratch and send the person who can tell me why Lorbek at their current location down the end of Plummer St Port Melbourne... why are ALL Lorbeks many cars there unreg'd.
Does he buy them unregistered. Is there some ploy in selling them unregistered. Half the nett proceeeds
of a scratched $2 scratchy on offer!

Dino... Lorbek did have some very sweet cars at Fairfield in that period. Some really mint 1984 area 380 Benzes come to mind.

I imagine that their turnover rate for certain cars isn't all that high so it would save them the cost of having to re-register the cars every 12 months at $600 a pop.

I have personally seen cars advertised by Lorbek for the better part of 2 years. That would be $1200 in costs to recoup on a $14k BMW 740il....

Some stuff is obviously from interstate also.

Once a buyer has signed, they would do the rwc and register the car.

The buyer thinks he is getting a good deal as it has 12 months reg and it is probably far easier from an administration point of view for the dealer as they don't have to keep track of rego expiry's and transfer rego's. When sold, they just register it in the new owners details like a new car sales yard would.

peujohn, there's a guy in Bathurst selling two 604's for $500 in the for sale section, do you wanna go pick em up, then when we finish them we can meet Dino at Chairnside Hungry Jacks and be uber cool.
do ya, do ya wanna, do ya ?

1975_Opel_Diplomat_For_Sale_Nose.jpg

god damned...how cool is the front end on this baby....ICE...such a shame they F####ed up the back end...otherwise it would definitely be up there... :(

dino

1975_Opel_Diplomat_For_Sale_Nose.jpg

god damned...how cool is the front end on this baby....ICE...such a shame they F####ed up the back end...otherwise it would definitely be up there... :(

dino

It looks like a Communist carmaker's idea of what an American car is.

Huh...you guys wouldnt know what cool is if you tripped over it...I ve got a jeep driver selling ramblers...a journo thats never seen a commie country...and a bloody mazda owning skoda driver...Honestly guys...You are as stylish as the cars you drive....

Opel nose is cool...I am not arguing the point any further...resistance is futile... :wink2:

:D

dino

This aint no Skoda!

How cool is this, I can pick between the two, do I wanna be 60's cool or 2010 cool.

P.S. Used to drive Mazda, but now have a Mitz Lancer, which is small and cheap.
But if I was going to get a 70's car it would be a RX2 or RX4 coupe and both are still way cooler than a 604.

...a journo thats never seen a commie country...

If that refers to me, there are at least two factual errors in that statement.

Still, I'm flattered to know that you care enough about me to find out and remember my occupation, even if you happen to be wrong.

Those Mazdas are cool, but this thread is about Euros.

Dino, what is that blue Opel?

Diplomat...very american, bonnet line of later bel airs...but the vertical headlights are superbly executed...
shame they stuffed up the rest of the car....

John...the rx cars are cool...but face it...they are small...to small to be uber cool...something like this is way way much more cool....

pics-max-9910-261241-lancia-2000-coupe-1971.jpg

dino

ooooohhhh....look...a pininfarina badge.... :D