Tool Talk

That’s my problem. I have a fortune of Ryobi plus 1 gear, batteries and chargers- nothing else.

Just got to use a metric tap from an Aldi tin box purchased many moons ago, marked Aldi made in China. Very nice cut, sharp as with no tearing - at least in cast iron.
Impressed... :) Likewise the hole made for it with a drill from a green shed Ryobi set...
went through like a hot knife through butter. These drills have been ground with relief facets....
Bob

Just got to use a metric tap from an Aldi tin box purchased many moons ago, marked Aldi made in China. Very nice cut, sharp as with no tearing - at least in cast iron.
Impressed... :) Likewise the hole made for it with a drill from a green shed Ryobi set...
went through like a hot knife through butter. These drills have been ground with relief facets....
Bob
Those Ryobi drill bits might have improved?
I bought the same looking set 2 or 3 years ago, and although they were sharpish, they had a bad habit of snapping off.
I might give them another go, they're not very expensive anyway.

Those Ryobi drill bits might have improved?
I bought the same looking set 2 or 3 years ago, and although they were sharpish, they had a bad habit of snapping off.
I might give them another go, they're not very expensive anyway.
Drill bits that are hard and brittle - now that's novel!

20231122_160241.jpg

That's weird.... I only manage to snap really expensive high quality drill bits :blackeye: The cheap ones usually bend for me :clown:

• Haha
Reactions: bob
like the elcheapo masonry bits that develop a more extensive helix !
Bob

I had a 19mm bit bend once. I don't know what steel they are using for something this size to go, using a hand drill. It was Chinese made, as many once prominent makes now are.

I had a 19mm bit bend once. I don't know what steel they are using for something this size to go, using a hand drill. It was Chinese made, as many once prominent makes now are.
Well the one above was a first for me - these weren't the cheapest set in the green shed either - described as "Cobalt", which I thought was supposed to be a good thing. Now I see the brand is "Full Boar" :rolleyes:.

To be fair, my electric jack hammer is also Full Boar brand, and seems fit for purpose.

Well the one above was a first for me - these weren't the cheapest set in the green shed either - described as "Cobalt", which I thought was supposed to be a good thing. Now I see the brand is "Full Boar" :rolleyes:.

To be fair, my electric jack hammer is also Full Boar brand, and seems fit for purpose.
my Kanga was an Aldi special, probably much the same unit and it's done a power of work, well, domestically, not industrial - certainly fit for purpose. Although, I note that 'Full Boar' was the brand of choice for some guys doing a local underpinning job.
Some you win, some you don't... Like the 240V GMC hammer drill that jammed it's bit, extracting the machine from my pinkies and throwing it a goodly distance, scary whilst perched atop a ladder.... Replaced it with a Bosch unit with all the built in safety stuff etc, oh, and changed over to 4-flute masonry bits !
Bob

I wonder if the Cobalt name is to do with toughened tips or work hardening treatment, but to bend like that certainly not fit for purpose. I guess you win some and lose some in the description. Too hard and they snap, too soft they bend, makes my old P&N ones that get regularly sharpened, value for the money I outlaid 20 years or more ago.

Though these days its a bit of a chore to go through the pile of old drill bits and resharpen. I used to enjoy doing that once upon a time!! :unsure: :eek: Not so much these days.

Ken

Every workshop/garage needs one. Available from Super Cheap Auto just under $10.00.
View attachment 231586
Don't know what it is with some people and the 10mm socket/spanner, but I never lose them, or any other spanner for that matter. What I lose is measure tapes, because I forget where I leave them. I eventually come across the said measure tapes when wandering around the shed and the remember that I put it there.

Don't know what it is with some people and the 10mm socket/spanner, but I never lose them, or any other spanner for that matter. What I lose is measure tapes, because I forget where I leave them. I eventually come across the said measure tapes when wandering around the shed and the remember that I put it there.
150mm metal ruler is the one I lose (when it's right in front of me).

Reactions: COL
I don't mislay car tools, as I count them back.

What disappears, sometimes for years and even forever, are hammers, chisels, screwdrivers, garden implements - anything needed for household stuff. My ability to make these vanish is supernatural. I have even "vanished" a couple of spades.