Sand casting unobtainium parts at home.

You've changed your user name, I'm thinking who the #### is this!

I wonder if I should change mine to Sea Shepherd or something..🤔

Please explain, I'm intrigued?
It's a recipe. Mild steel is typically only 0.2%C, which makes it malleable, easy to work etc. but also relatively soft. Adding some carbon, in the form of 1.2%C files will help to increase the carbon percentage, making it both harder and stronger. Adding the beaing races will add some chromium, vanadium and nickle and further increase the strength and hardness, without having to heat treat it. I'm impressed if you're able to get 100Kg of steel to 1500+ºC in order to mix it all together. You'll need to do some maths to work out how many files you'll need to get it up to approx. 0.6%C.

Last edited:
Yes you are quite right, it would take many hours to get 100+kg to pouring temperature not to mention the size of furnace and crucible etc. required but what the heck, someone has to do it.

Yes you are quite right, it would take many hours to get 100+kg to pouring temperature not to mention the size of furnace and crucible etc. required but what the heck, someone has to do it.
Hi.

I watched this a few months ago, I was intrigued with it. Honestly I take my hat off to these guys. If you were ever stuck somewhere their resourcefulness is very impressive.

Cheers.

Hi, all I can say is that I hope that Graham is not studying their OH&S manual for inspiration.:confused: And probably hope he never moves into my neighbourhood and sets up his new sump oil powered furnace, nor the furnace metal feed preparation either. But he would be physically fit after doing a melt and pouring the moulds in that manner. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Jaahn

Hi, all I can say is that I hope that Graham is not studying their OH&S manual for inspiration.:confused: And probably hope he never moves into my neighbourhood and sets up his new sump oil powered furnace, nor the furnace metal feed preparation either. But he would be physically fit after doing a melt and pouring the moulds in that manner. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Jaahn
I see one guy put gloves on a one stage.
His mates would be like " soft cock".🤣

Yes these guys are very capable indeed and what's to be envied even more is they are not hamstrung by a nanny state who have taken the fun out of everything, though I am not sure they'd see it that way.

In the video I saw a scoop of Ferro silicone going into the mix, that's to improve machinability of the brake drums.

Iron smelting has been going on for centuries and the horizontal cupola above is just a modern twist on the traditional cupola but the difference is these guys are just remelting existing iron as opposed to iron ore. Still it's a brutal way to make a living. Think I like it here in the nanny state after all.

1658268060225.png

Hi Graham
Have a look at this and google for other information. We were well behind," a couple of centuries", really some other countries that had steel making technology well before it was done in the "developed countries". I was astonished to find out about this, and in a country that I had never heard of ??.

"Ancient Ferrous Metallurgy Sites of Burkina Faso​

This property is composed of five elements located in different provinces of the country. It includes about fifteen standing, natural-draught furnaces, several other furnace structures, mines and traces of dwellings. Douroula, which dates back to the 8th century BCE, is the oldest evidence of the development of iron production found in Burkina Faso."
https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1602
Jaahn

When I finally get to the pearly gates and St. Peter looks at my carbon footprint records I reckon he will hit the redirect button. :devilish:

1658399657710.png

So M. Fregate, here's a possible casting project for you ...