Fuel Price

Welding the diff up will do that to a car.

I remember reading a period test on the new 1961 Regal in (I think it was) The Motor Cycle.
They tried numerous times to roll it and only succeeded after applying full lock at 30mph.

Three wheel cars in England were usually tested by bike magazines as they could be ridden on a bike licence and cost much the same as a sidecar outfit.
I think from memory that they were taxed (registration) the same as a motorcycle and sidecar......

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply but, as evidenced by the following Wikipedia entry, it surely was a British car manufacturer.
"Reliant Motor Company was a British car manufacturer based in Tamworth, Staffordshire, England. It was founded in 1935 and ended car production in 2002, the company had been known as "Reliant Motor Company" until the 1990s when it became "Reliant Motors" and then finally became "Reliant cars LTD" after production had ended of the Robin as the company was restructured to be a car import business."
World's largest manufacturer of fibreglass cars after Chevrolet with the Corvette.

The 1962 to 1973 series Regal (same as mine) sold over 100,000 units.

Oil replaced coal as the must have resource. If we move to electrics other materials will become the new oil, scarce and sometimes extremely valuable. I used to spread small amounts of cobalt over the paddocks as a trace element and put cobalt bullets down the throats of cattle. Gives them a nice coat. Now I see cobalt is at $US81,000 a tonne and rising.

Reminds me "carless days" in the late 70s early 80s. Dad had a Tuesday no drive day sticker on his EH. This was an NZ way of one day less a day driving.

I seem to remember at one stage when I was a young tacker there was an "odds and evens" system in place. The last digit on the number plate determined what days you could refuel.

I've got a couple of number plates that are all letters, so not sure how they would work those into the mix.🤔

Could bring back the petrol coupons. Motorists loathed them but but they were loved by spivs and black marketeers.

An interesting article regarding US market fuel demand not collapsing in the face of rising prices. Consumer discretionary items are taking a beating though ... (Remember US gallon < Imperial gallon)

An interesting article regarding US market fuel demand not collapsing in the face of rising prices. Consumer discretionary items are taking a beating though ... (Remember US gallon < Imperial gallon)
USD4.32 = AUD5.846 / 3.8 = AUD 1.538 a litre. Poor Bastards!

Poor Merkins. They should live here for a while.
What's worse than rising prices? Inequality of rising prices!
Would you believe on our recent visit to Melbourne, Aldi's 1.25L soft drink is still 69c while it's jumped to 95c here?

Paid 2.30 for 98 today - the megane took 120 bucks and the light wasnt even on!

Bloody awesome! Still way too cheap, but a solid move in the right direction. If it were me, I'd set it at $5 tomorrow and ramp it up at least $2 a year. Make diesel at least $2 dearer.

Make the masses have a hard think about their fuel and their dumb arse suv habit.

Attachments

• images (19).jpeg
    images (19).jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 98
The IEA predicts a looming oil shortage based on a calculation of Russian oil exports falling by 2.5 million barrels a day. There are predictions of $200 a barrel for oil. If our fuel is over $2.00 a litre at $114 a barrel the high side of $3.00 is looming. Some advocate the EU placing an embargo on all imports of Russian oil. If that suggestion was accepted, the shortage would put oil well over $200 and threatening $300. The Saudis and Gulf states are being asked to increase production. Unfortunately during the American election Biden promised to make the Saudi Crown Prince a pariah so he hasn't been picking up the phone. Now Yemeni rebels have hit a Saudi export terminal on the Red Sea. If you think things couldn't get worse an American Under Secretary of the Treasury is floating the idea of a naval blockade of Russia to stop all exports. At that stage the price of fuel becomes less important as we retreat into our well prepared bunkers with our potassium iodide pills and a tape of On The Beach to view Hollywood's prediction of Melbourne's future.

At a fundamental level, oil and gas are somewhat secondary to food security and the potential for mass starvation. India's farm sector apparently relies very heavily on Russia for fertiliser. Here are two diagrams showing grain trade relationships, which must soon have a negative impact on many nations. It would be interesting to see similar charts for oil and gas, but where these relationships break down, expect to see the increased costs reflected in food, fuel and other costs.

1647937359419.png

1647937390207.png

The American grain embargo in 1980 stuffed the world grain trade for nearly a decade so let's hope this settles down sooner. Economists don't seem concerned about fuel shortages but the inflationary impact of higher fuel prices. All those nasty terms we've forgotten like recession and stagflation are talked about.
If you think fuel prices are bad don't look at fertiliser and grain prices.
Hi.

Well fertiliser costs got a run on the ABC 7:30 report tonight. My glanced observation was the high spike occurring now is matched by a similar spike in 2008?

It may have been but in 2008 there was more Australian fertiliser production and bigger stocks so it wasn't felt as badly here. The year was dry in the south and returns were low so demand wasn't high. I recall when super was subsidised by the government and cost $15 a ton. Was a bit of a political issue by 1972.
A few countries are worried about food security. Egypt was once our wheat market, well developed and serviced on credit by our Wheat Board. In the first Gulf War America needed to buy off Egyptian opposition so they offered Australia would forgive their wheat debt. Much to the surprise of our wheat board. Our subservient government agreed. In return for the favour the Americans took the market by supplying subsidised grain. Which proves the old point that countries don't have friends they have interests.
Black Sea wheat has taken quite a few of our markets, even shipped to Indonesia. Kazakhstan ships its wheat through the Black Sea and is usually accounted as Russian production.
India is one of the few countries that has cheap fuel and fertiliser thanks to Russian deals and has dreams of becoming a major wheat exporter.
Australia doesn't have the capacity to replace the shortfall and the weather in the grain areas of North America are dry in parts. Wheat futures are up 60%.

Hi Russell Hall.

What percentage of the fertiliser applied is actually taken up by the crop? What can we do to improve this percentage? Typically, what percentage is fertliser of the total input costs of production?

I assume that if insufficient fertiliser is applied that yields will be lower. I guest there will be a agronomist curve somewhere that shows the yield needs to be X to offset the Y of costs? Otherwise it not profitable to sow a crop.

Paid 2.30 for 98 today - the megane took 120 bucks and the light wasnt even on!

Bloody awesome! Still way too cheap, but a solid move in the right direction. If it were me, I'd set it at $5 tomorrow and ramp it up at least $2 a year. Make diesel at least $2 dearer.

Make the masses have a hard think about their fuel and their dumb arse suv habit.
Hi.

I looked at our home budget recently. Fuel costs account for 3% of our expenditure, so if the cost per litre goes up by 50% this will take the expenditure to 4.5% of our budget. Easy for us, as we don’t drive much these days. For people whose fuel costs are much greater part of their expenditure, then these costs can start to bite.

Equally though, I have always been cynical of the Americanisation of our vehicle choices. I see increasingly larger bodied vehicles on our roads, including medium and larger SUV's & 4WD. The substitute for large SUV used to be station wagons, estates, tourers. These substitute vehicles today use much less fuel per km than SUV's. But at the time of vehicle selection it seems that most people don’t consider the cost of fuel as much as they maybe should have, and fashion 9keeoing up with the Jones') is the main criteria.

A #challenge for you Haakon. It seems that you don't like paying the increased cost of petrol. At what cost per litre will it take for you to reconsider your choice of using 98RON over a lower RON, and benefit also from the relatively lower cost? #My comment assumes that 98RON is not specified by the manufacturer for your engine.

Cheers.

Usually use 95, the megane has a bit of pinging associated with its ongoing idling/running issues... 98 is otherwise a bit of a con, its usually more like 96 octane, 97 at best as shown by government quality testing a while back. There are no legislated standards for 98, it legally only needs to meet the standards for 95 - so unless your car is specifically tuned for "98" and you buy from the same vendor always, youre wasting your money.

With active pinging issues the one or two octane bump might be a bit kinder to the pistons... Usually the Megane will even be happy on 91 and the Alfa is fine on 95.

We only do about 4000-6000kms a year, I cycle to work when I was in the office and with WFH now we do even less. If we did upwards of 30,000 kms a year, I would already have a Tesla.

Whippet we're in grazing not cropping but the Wimmera growers have become very precise in their fertiliser applications to get what are record yields. This year is a challenge for everyone with high fertiliser prices matched with low availability. Fertiliser applications have become much more specific because of the increasing prices. Something of a perfect storm developing for inputs with soaring fertiliser and fuel costs. Uncertain times. At least Australians an be assured there will be bread at the end of the breadline.