Fuel Price

I just read an article predicting that, "due to rising raw material costs" an EV battery might be up to $8000 dearer to manufacture by the end of 2022 than is was at the start of the year.

Oil is on the rise. The Caspian pipeline carrying one million barrels a day from Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan is storm damaged and out for a month at least. The boycott of Russian oil and fuel by some countries is beginning to show up in declining stocks. On the positive side there is a good possibility America will negotiate a deal with Iran and drop its unilateral sanctions on Iranian oil exports. No relief in sight for fertiliser supplies and prices where sanctions will mean reduced world food production.

Hi JoBo.

I am unfamiliar with Henry George taxation system and had to research the concept. I am neither an economist nor a social reformer and don't have the experience and knowledge to constructively comment. I am struggling to see the connection with my post though which was essentially about my interest in BEV, the transition from ICE to BEV in Australia catching up with other countries and what we will need to do as a consequence for road infrastructure and maintenance revenue & funding.

But, with the "short-term-ism" in Australian governments, and their inability to implement even limited tax reform, I very much doubt that a Georgism single tax paradigm would get on the agenda, if indeed we even needed it.

Cheers.

Axe the fuel excise ... do this instead​

I did mention modified.

Want to buy Russian gas and oil? Some countries in Europe won't have much choice (i.e. Germany). Please pay in Rubles in future. Or Rupee if you are Indian. Saudis selling in Yuan to China undermines the Petrodollar, which will be an own-goal resulting from sanctions.

My latest delivery $2.20 a litre for Geelong refined diesel. Russian sources indicate Australian companies bought two tanker loads of Russian crude on the spot market before the import ban was announced. Some suspicion the Caspian pipeline might not be as storm damaged as claimed but it's closed off 1.7% of world oil supply. Demand for energy payment in roubles has upset the markets and they are higher.

Demand for energy payment in roubles has upset the markets and they are higher.
That's a double-edged sword - attempt to collapse an exporter's currency and it's liable to create a boon in increased value into the future. I wonder how Russia's trade balance is overall. We've seen their food prices go up, but that appears to be the case elsewhere as well.

That's a double-edged sword - attempt to collapse an exporter's currency and it's liable to create a boon in increased value into the future. I wonder how Russia's trade balance is overall. We've seen their food prices go up, but that appears to be the case elsewhere as well.
It's an odd situation. They've got 330 billion in US dollars in western banks and the banks have frozen the money. They're trying to make Russia default on loan payments but the Russians say it's the banks that have defaulted. They have 2400 tonnes of gold as their reserve. Wisely in their own vaults not London or Fort Knox. Western Europe is still buying their oil and gas and higher energy prices have increased their income. There's been a run on sugar in Russian shops. We hoard toilet paper, they hoard sugar. They've temporarily stopped all food exports to keep the shops stocked.

I note that in some overseas markets like Singapore diesel is cheaper. I suppose in Australia it comes down to our fuel companies charging whatever they like.

Industry talk is that the real shortfall in the world supply won't be apparent until April. So where we'll be then who knows.

Industry talk is that the real shortfall in the world supply won't be apparent until April. So where we'll be then who knows.
Reamed ? and for those dreaming an EV future reamed and exploited, tax will not be denied.....

A few down pressures on price this week. Chinese covid shutdowns are reducing demand there, more releases from western strategic reserves and talk of a fuel excise cut. Even so Brent is nearly $US117 a barrel today.
Uncertainty remains and talk of $150 a barrel in the immediate future persists. Futures rose on the Houthi attack on the Saudi oil terminal. Uncertainty remains as to if Russia will demand payment in roubles. VITOL flags a worldwide shortage of diesel and possible diesel rationing in Europe. Half the European diesel supply comes from Russia, a million barrels a day.

I just read an article predicting that, "due to rising raw material costs" an EV battery might be up to $8000 dearer to manufacture by the end of 2022 than is was at the start of the year.
Hi.

Thats good news, My mining shares will increase in value, and my cost per 100km will decrease. I will need to place my order soon to take advantage of the second.

Actually I am interested in BEV but not at the moment, as I don't want an iPhone on wheels. When there are some alternative options I will pursue this. I also need to get my infrastructure in place at home, and have started finalising my options.

Hi.

Thats good news, My mining shares will increase in value, and my cost per 100km will decrease. I will need to place my order soon to take advantage of the second.

Actually I am interested in BEV but not at the moment, as I don't want an iPhone on wheels. When there are some alternative options I will pursue this. I also need to get my infrastructure in place at home, and have started finalising my options.
I think they are all chocked full of technology though, because apparently "that's what everyone wants".
I'm with you, I'll think seriously think about getting an old car converted to an EV before I'd buy one of the current offerings.

The Australian market will probably be served by Chinese made vehicles (under various brands). I'm sure some will be basic transport machines.

The Chinese have very good quality EVs and will probably gain a huge market share as soon as they can make enough of them. Their safer batteries is something i'm looking forward to (apparently they will be in the car that is said to come to Aus later tis year???)

The Australian market will probably be served by Chinese made vehicles (under various brands). I'm sure some will be basic transport machines.
Hi. I don't understand why it is, but Australia seems to be content to just be a quarry. Imagine the economic boost if we value added to our minerals domesticaly.

I understand that Austalia has most of the lithium and other metals/minerals that are used in batteries and also copper for electric motors, it would be nice to be part of the new growth industry.

We already make EV's in the Latrobe Valley. Hopefully the first steps......