Gordini recently given away?

But a very good illustration of what happens to a car if left in the garden long enough. How long has it been abandoned, I wonder?

My guess is if you want to preserve a car long term and you're out of storage space, you best drive it in the desert and leave it there.
Your right and the biggest mistake people make when storing them long term outside is to put a tarp over them.

I have seen a lot of abandoned cars in the deserts of Australia that have fared way better than this poor car and have been there for considerable time judging by the models.

Your right and the biggest mistake people make when storing them long term outside is to put a tarp over them.
I recall visiting a few times a 17G sitting idle for some time over here in the west that is covered over with tarp and cardboard but under a carport - just. I hope he's looking after it. :(

I recall visiting a few times a 17G sitting idle for some time over here in the west that is covered over with tarp and cardboard but under a carport - just. I hope he's looking after it. :(
Optimism is a great virtue John. :)

hi sunroof, I used to find the kickdown cable was critical in having drive or not, one turn on adjustment bolt could mean having drive or not.do you have the Renault test equipment to do checks, if not I have the factory unit which you are welcome to if you desire...... jim
The test box arrived today. Now to complete the assembly of the engine and play with the testbox on the existing auto, to see if I can narrow down the fault rather than just change to another box that may also not work.

Well drained, air dryable and shaded to protect trim, that's what you need. Not sunbaked.

Here’s a couple of photos showing the extent of the rust.
Second photo is looking into the inlet manifold at the butterfly:(.
Third photo is the broken 395 gearbox where it had been “stored” in the grass.
I don’t think anybody will blame me for not restoring this shell.

Attachments

• 86253558-1C06-42C2-A4C6-B67CC4E162E3.jpeg
    86253558-1C06-42C2-A4C6-B67CC4E162E3.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 93B89BCC-F3FC-4939-BF7A-B99C1FA48E43.jpeg
    93B89BCC-F3FC-4939-BF7A-B99C1FA48E43.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 154
  • 81985510-7757-4996-98F9-DE7AA4FF563A.jpeg
    81985510-7757-4996-98F9-DE7AA4FF563A.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 152
Woah! Genuinely terminal!

What is the rear seat base like? Turns out the later ones are slightly different to accommodate the inertia reel seat belt. I’ve got an early seat base in mine and it squashes up a bit.

Woah! Genuinely terminal!

What is the rear seat base like? Turns out the later ones are slightly different to accommodate the inertia reel seat belt. I’ve got an early seat base in mine and it squashes up a bit.
I haven’t got to much of the interior yet. I’ll let you know. I made room this morning and put the (car still on trailer in the shed) so will get running gear, rear end, and whatever else is useful out over the next few days if work gives me some time.
I’m considering if it’s worth taking the fuel tank out, I figure there wouldn’t be many late r17 tanks around at all, and in particular gordini EFI ones. From underneath it looks ok.

Be careful that coil spring doesn't let go. Held in by luck I think.
Yeah. Good point. I cut all in front of the shocker towers off and the top rail so it’s only the shocker holding it all together, top of the shocker tower seems solid, but might get the compressor on it and take tension off.
If I take tension off I’ll need that tool that goes up inside the spring to release it, otherwise it’s too long to release on the compressor.

Last edited:
I haven’t got to much of the interior yet. I’ll let you know. I made room this morning and put the (car still on trailer in the shed) so will get running gear, rear end, and whatever else is useful out over the next few days if work gives me some time.
I’m considering if it’s worth taking the fuel tank out, I figure there wouldn’t be many late r17 tanks around at all, and in particular gordini EFI ones. From underneath it looks ok.
Yes worth keeping the tank. Hard to find a late one. I ended up getting mine reco’d last year (cut in half, blasted, patched and welded back up) so can certainly be saved.

Be careful that coil spring doesn't let go. Held in by luck I think.
I was looking at that too and am really surprised it hasn't shot the top mount to high heaven yet. Then again, the spring itself might be gone. I would have a look at the spring and if it has deep pitting I would just cut it in situ with an angle grinder.

Regarding the fuel tank, I would suggest you take off the plate that holds the fuel sender and have a look inside with a torch. It may help decide if it's any good.

That gearbox may not be as bad as it seems. Worth a try anyway given how rare they are and it cost nothing if it ends up destroyed. I would hazard a guess the gears are fine. The bearings will suffer even if only surface rusted but the gears will grind the rust off in a short time and then either go for a long time or crap themselves immediately depending on how bad the rust is on them. If everything else is in good order, I would drive the 'box as is and give it a change of oil say after a few k's going through all the gears. Another change of oil after a couple of hundred k's if it makes it that far and then I would just put it in everyday service if it survives.

If bearings are rusted, it's a tough call. Replacements are expensive unless you're lucky and find them cheap lying around in someone's stash of junk they don't know what to do with.

Last edited:
Yeah. Good point. I cut all in front of the shocker towers off and the top rail so it’s only the shocker holding it all together, top of the shocker tower seems solid, but might get the compressor on it and take tension off.
If I take tension off I’ll need that tool that goes up inside the spring to release it, otherwise it’s too long to release on the compressor.
My good compressors are at home holding the Dacia springs together.

My good compressors are at home holding the Dacia springs together.
Yeah. I thought so. I ordered some all thread from bunnings click and collect and I’ll make up a tool to get the spring out of the compressor I have.

Yeah. I thought so. I ordered some all thread from bunnings click and collect and I’ll make up a tool to get the spring out of the compressor I have.
Andrew, would you please send a pick of all that setup and and helpful hints. I have some TS front springs I'm wanting to swap out on the TL in the future.

Andrew, would you please send a pick of all that setup and and helpful hints. I have some TS front springs I'm wanting to swap out on the TL in the future.
I have made up a simple tool recently. I can show you what I've made if you like

Here’s a couple of photos showing the extent of the rust.
Second photo is looking into the inlet manifold at the butterfly:(.
Third photo is the broken 395 gearbox where it had been “stored” in the grass.
I don’t think anybody will blame me for not restoring this shell.
I read years ago about a Type 35 Bugatti that had been restored (recreated) just from an id plate and half a fire wall. So nothing is impossible, just will have to be a long(er) term project for you. :)