Gordini recently given away?

I’m planing to go up next week to get it.
I spoke to the owner (seemed like a really decent bloke who had loved the car) for 20 minutes yesterday, and sounds like it’s body is in a bad way.
It’s an R1317 and he says it’s ‘75 build. I got the impression it was badged as a 17 Gordini rather than TS (not totally sure) and from verbal description, is an early type shell with fuel filler on top section of rear quarter.
At some stage the car had some damage done whereby the windscreen was broken and it’s been exposed to the elements since. I’m not sure of it’s future yet, but if it’s complete enough and able to be saved I would hope to be able to put it on the road as a 17G again.
I’ll update when I collect it.
Congrats!!
Does that mean you won't have any time to work on any 'other' Gordinis in the future? ;)

Last edited:
Congrats!!
Does that mean you won't have any time to work on any 'other' Gordinis in the future? ;)
I have a few other projects to complete before I start on this one. (One I haven’t even started yet).
I Still haven’t seen it, or even photos of it, so haven’t assessed, if, when, or how it how it can be resurrected. Will be a while though.

The model type was slightly incorrectly written, it was R1317, so a 17 Gordini, that would have had a 5 speed manual box that was apparently broken but came with a 4 speed fitted and were standard with 4 wheel discs. Of course they were also fuel injected using a D Jetronic system. Sway bars were also a little larger, and the wheels were 5.5" wide instead of the 4.5" wheels of the standard 15/17, still 13" in diameter.
Volcan ?? is it that grey'ish 17ts that was around years ago ?

Volcan ?? is it that grey'ish 17ts that was around years ago ?
Shane, are you thinking of Volkar? He had a modified gunmetal grey 15TS. It had personalized plates “covert”. From memory he had 17g discs on the back and probably had a few g bits. Think it was running twin sidedraughts, whereas the 17ts/ gordini had EFI.

Shane, are you thinking of Volkar? He had a modified gunmetal grey 15TS. It had personalized plates “covert”. From memory he had 17g discs on the back and probably had a few g bits. Think it was running twin sidedraughts, whereas the 17ts/ gordini had EFI.
Volkar's car is at Auto Paris being rebuilt. A 15 with Gordini spec running gear.

That’s fantastic, somebody doing up a 15 again.... I think I’ve got one that needs putting back together too!
I have a 15 that needs the engine finishing and puting back in. The autobox is probably faulty but I have some spares. I just recieved a workshop manual specifically for 4139 auto's. It gives all the tests to find a fault but you need an engine running for most tests. So rather than just swap the box I thought I'd go through the flow chart and see if it can be fixed while still in the car as there is a lot of external bits and adjustments that might be the problem with mine. I'll get to it again eventually. It is next in the line after I finish building a lathe and keeping my other cars running.

I have a 15 that needs the engine finishing and puting back in. The autobox is probably faulty but I have some spares. I just recieved a workshop manual specifically for 4139 auto's. It gives all the tests to find a fault but you need an engine running for most tests. So rather than just swap the box I thought I'd go through the flow chart and see if it can be fixed while still in the car as there is a lot of external bits and adjustments that might be the problem with mine. I'll get to it again eventually. It is next in the line after I finish building a lathe and keeping my other cars running.
hi sunroof, I used to find the kickdown cable was critical in having drive or not, one turn on adjustment bolt could mean having drive or not.do you have the Renault test equipment to do checks, if not I have the factory unit which you are welcome to if you desire...... jim

That would be really great then I could do all the tests properly. Perhaps you could let me know where you live and we could discuss costs, postage etc. Get in touch re PM. There is no real rush as I need to assemble the engine first. I'll send it back as soon as I get a result. Thanks for offer it will be an interesting exercise with the right stuff.

You're building a lathe?! You've got to open a thread about that.

There's a lot of skill in that part of Queensland, trust me.
Skill is only part of the equation, that is why I asked. There's a lot of people on youtube who have built lathes, but not all results are equal. If you look up Rotary SMP ( a nice kiwi living in Austria) and Lookcreations ( a pom living in pomland) they have rebuilt old lathes and it's a heck of a lot more involved than one would imagine. Rotary SMP has actually rebuilt a crappy old chinese lathe and I think it is the best lathe ever. Still a crappy little lathe (being small you can't get away from some limitations, but the amount and quality of work put in it is astounding - and I have never before used the word astounding).

I just wanted to rebuild my old crappy chinese lathe and couldn't find anyone around here to even surface grind the bed ways. Not to mention it would have cost ore than a new one.

And all these examples start with having a lathe. I mean some castings, leadscrews and such. Starting from scratch is a completely different story.

Applied Physics (or something like that) on youtube (again) have built a surface grinder from scratch and apart that it took forever, it was okay. Only okay, not brilliant. And they have put a lot of decent effort and money in it. I mean ballscrews, computer control, brushless motor, digital servos, the whole nine yards.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 808CE151-A0BE-4780-AC8C-BA8B6382AE01.jpeg
    808CE151-A0BE-4780-AC8C-BA8B6382AE01.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 183
  • 2423D324-48EF-46E9-A381-B27B7ECE8DEF.jpeg
    2423D324-48EF-46E9-A381-B27B7ECE8DEF.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 188
  • F081D21E-D26F-4700-9947-3C4359A1DB75.jpeg
    F081D21E-D26F-4700-9947-3C4359A1DB75.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 193