1968 404 injection

You can definitely use an oil bath on any Peugeot injected engine - export KF2 models all had oil bath filters. I changed mine for a European model dry element with cold air intake. Buy a bent-angle metal motorcycle tire valve and use that to mount the return line to the rubber fuel filler - bolted right through the rubber and aiming down into the tank.
Genius Thanks again Mike!!

Hi Julian,

I just noticed you said I can't use an oil bath air filter. Whats the reasoning for this? There is lots of conversation about this on this website and others that suggest the oil bath is better than a paper filter. I have the original 504 one, which is oil bath and was going to put that in.
I thought the battery was in the position where the oil bath would go

Yeah KF6. There is - curiously - a shop in Vancouver that has a KF6 injection pump, rebuilt and ready to go. The 504 Injection was never sold in Canada, though I did see one early 504 Injection here (private import) circa 1977...so maybe that's where the pump came from. The shop with the pump is Fred Holmes Fuel Injection in Richmond BC. IIRC they wanted about $2K for it. Cheaper than a Koller rebuild, eh Andrew?

The rubber unions on the intake manifold should not ever be clamped or require clamping. If they do, the rubber has perished and/or the electro valve is leaking fuel into the manifold when driving and making the rubber swell. They were never clamped originally and when I see them clamped I immediately know what it is....

You won't find a 504 without the clamps on it

It's not so much the rubber has perished but ages a little over time and don't seal as well as they used to so clamping is the fix and it works

it looks like an original injection 404 motor to me
And to me, too. I used to own a 1966 model, overseas. The Kugelfischer injection pump shown on the photo is definitive. The throttle butterfly bearings used to wear the aluminium housing quite quickly. Difficult to repair.

You won't find a 504 without the clamps on it

It's not so much the rubber has perished but ages a little over time and don't seal as well as they used to so clamping is the fix and it works
I have a 504 TI with no clamps on the original rubber manifold connecting pipes. Engine has just done 1200 km after major rebuild. The rubber pipes are now 46 years old.

And to me, too. I used to own a 1966 model, overseas. The Kugelfischer injection pump shown on the photo is definitive. The throttle butterfly bearings used to wear the aluminium housing quite quickly. Difficult to repair.

I just did this job and it was dead easy. The bearings tend to get graunchy because they're not weather sealed. Fortunately, I had new ones.

Before:
Throttle body 2.jpg

During:
Throttle Body apart.jpg

During, again:
Throttle plate partialy assembled.jpg

After:
Throttle Body reassembled.jpg

But not, it is an 1800cc 504 injection engine. 404 has inlet in the middle, not the front of the manifold.

Thanks Graham. Tracked a cover so hopefully has rubbers. We will see when it arrives. I am beginning to think it hasn't run with this as there is no fixings for the air filter box, which should go where the battery currently is. Time will tell. One step at a time! 🙂
I have spare rubbers if you need them. Free to good home!!

I just did this job and it was dead easy. The bearings tend to get graunchy because they're not weather sealed. Fortunately, I had new ones.

Before:
Throttle body 2.jpg

During:
Throttle Body apart.jpg

During, again:
Throttle plate partialy assembled.jpg

After:
Throttle Body reassembled.jpg
the bearings in my 404's throttle body had seized without me or the Peugeot garage in my home town realising and so the seized bearings had eaten into the bearing housing on both sides. I could not source any new parts locally and importing parts from overseas was way beyond my reach in those days. I unseized the bearings and reassembled them, but the difficulty was then accurately re fitting them into them into the badly worn housings. I never got it quite right and the result was an idle speed of 1200 or so rpm. Other performance was fine and fuel consumption improved, paradoxically.

Is the calculator, sensors and all the wiring moved over? I'm considering moving the injected motor I have here into one of my old ID19's ... A part of this process would be to build a megasquirt and fit (to get around all the ancient ... getting old and unreliable sensors and electronics).

Is the calculator, sensors and all the wiring moved over? I'm considering moving the injected motor I have here into one of my old ID19's ... A part of this process would be to build a megasquirt and fit (to get around all the ancient ... getting old and unreliable sensors and electronics).

They are mechanical so no mystery box of tricks needed to operate

They are mechanical so no mystery box of tricks needed to operate

Mechanical injection ..... Actually that's worse I think. Where on earth do you get obselete parts from! If you have injectors and a fuel rail, any modern aftermarket injection system will probably get an old EFI car running :)

No it's no problem at all, the Kugelfischer stuff lasts forever if well maintained. Some peripherals are a bit more problematic, like the thermostatic control of cold starts but those too have easy workarounds.

No it's no problem at all, the Kugelfischer stuff lasts forever if well maintained. Some peripherals are a bit more problematic, like the thermostatic control of cold starts but those too have easy workarounds.

I'm lazy, I'd figure out a way of making a choke cable if its mechanical :clown: That way I know of sure if the damn choke is on/off!

Does the system in the ID use a mechanical points arrangement to fire the injectors? This was used as far back as the disastrous Bendix System used in the 1958 Chryslers. If you keep the distributor and coil ignition you can use Megasquirt 1, very simple and straightforward.